• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

It's a big no from me too Brooksie. Not saying he sits but he can knock himself out on the 3rd line. He needs the pressure taken off? Let him do it against other teams bottom six not by hitting some magical reset pressure is now off switch so go out there on the 1st line and drag it down just so we can coddle you along.  He's done nothing to earn it and everything not to. What kind of message does that say to Kakko, granted he kinda sucks too but his effort is in another league. 

I just don't think you ever reward what we've seen, ever. I don't think Laugh gets it, I don't think he ever will (here) being he hasn't by now. Dominate on the 3rd line shift after shift, game after game, earn your way up. That way it sticks, that's how you send a message if your the player, give the finger to everybody with your play.  Earn it. Honestly don't care what may happen 3-4 years from now with his career. If my goal is to make this team better now, throwing him on the first line just because is not remotely part of the answer.  In reality it's all sad and is such a missed opportunity (being gifted a first)  with the way it worked out with this guy. 

• Applause 1

It is astonishing to see the steps Kakko has taken over the last few years in comparison to Lafreniere.

We still don’t know if it’s going to translate to success come regular season. Jury is still out. And we could all be wrong. But Kakko looks ready to take a jump. Lafreniere just looks….the exact same.

I hope he can put it together.

'Alexis Lafreniere’s preseason has been unfathomably bad — here’s what Rangers should do about it'

https://nypost.com/2023/10/05/what-rangers-should-do-with-alexis-lafreniere-after-unfathomable-camp/

October 5, 2023

'...Again, Lafreniere has not earned a top-six spot. He has seemed paralyzed. My best information is that the Rangers were pleased with his results on his testing on and off the ice. There is no indication that he was lazy over the summer. But his work has not translated onto the ice.  And do you know what I would do in response? I would break my rule. I would assure Lafreniere that he has a top-six spot. I would tell Lafreniere to relax.'

'...The Rangers need Lafreniere. They need him to produce in a top-six role. They most certainly do not need Lafreniere to become a migraine headache. They cannot have Lafreniere become the pink elephant in the room, dominating the discourse inside and outside the organization.'

33 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Maybe Lafreniere just doesn't love hockey?  He never looks excited to be on the ice. 

It would explain a lot about his play the last few years if he just views this as a job.

I can see it. I think he loves the idea of being a hockey player and loves being on the team and with the boys. But maybe the pressure associated is more than he can take.

• ALEXIS! 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Plenty of Laugh talk on latest 32 Thoughts. You can listen directly here:

Transcribed some key quotes here:

I dont like the sound of this.  Instead of a long leash this season, sounds like it will be a short leash until they start shopping him if he doesnt turn it around.

At this point I think it should be a short leash.  How long do you wait for him to figure it out/turn it around?  Do you let the opportunity to win while Shesterkin is here go by?   The window for this core unless the younger players step it up aka Chytil, Kakko, Othmann is shrinking.  They have the pieces to win (Norris trophy winner, Vezina winner, 40 goal scorer, 90 point player).   The time to take the next step is now not in 2-5 years when Lafraniere figures out he has to put more effort in.

• Bullseye 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Plenty of Laugh talk on latest 32 Thoughts. You can listen directly here:

Transcribed some key quotes here:

I'm curious what the team's expectations are from Lafreniere at this stage. In a vacuum, 40 points and +10 in 15 minutes a night is a useful player.

I did an exercise over the summer comparing his ES TOI against ES production relative to the rest of the league. He was about 6 points off from matching his usage. And sure, when you start to drift down the avenue of his draft pedigree and the hope that came with it, you'd want him to do more, but I'd be pretty satisfied if he saw his way to between 45-50 points.

The tougher thing to achieve is the supposed eye test, which is a lot more subjective.

Are the Rangers focusing on production or eye test? Both? We don't know what they are telling him.

39 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I dont like the sound of this.  Instead of a long leash this season, sounds like it will be a short leash until they start shopping him if he doesnt turn it around.

That's exactly how it reads/sounds to me. From what's being said, it basically sounds like they're reaching the end of their rope and that if stapling him to Panarin doesn't get him going, they're gonna pull the plug.

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

I would be quite surprised if the Rangers front office take such a short sighted approach with Lafrenière having literally just signed him to an extension 6 weeks ago. 

Only a 2 year contract, if he sucks this year he was a goner anyway either at the trade deadline or at the draft.   But, now maybe earlier if he is garbage until Christmas, at least free up some cap space for another move.  

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • Keeps it 100 1

42 minutes ago, Karan said:

I would be quite surprised if the Rangers front office take such a short sighted approach with Lafrenière having literally just signed him to an extension 6 weeks ago. 

Why not move him when teams think he still has potential, instead of when he can't do jack shit on the wing of one of the best LWs in the league?

• Keeps it 100 1

43 minutes ago, Karan said:

It’s hard to say.

When he signed the deal, I thought he’d at least get the full season if things didn’t improve.

Now with all this chatter and emphasis in his camp and preseason games, he could get moved during the season if it doesn’t go well.

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Why not move him when teams think he still has potential, instead of when he can't do jack shit on the wing of one of the best LWs in the league?

If you have to move on from him at any point in the next 8-9 months, you’re not recouping much if anything for him anyway.

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

If you have to move on from him at any point in the next 8-9 months, you’re not recouping much if anything for him anyway.

Kirby Dach got a first and a third in return and he had an arguably worse three years than Lafreniere. Drouin netted Sergachev. I think we get value somewhere in between.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Kirby Dach got a first and a third in return and he had an arguably worse three years than Lafreniere. Drouin netted Sergachev. I think we get value somewhere in between.

Drouin netted a pick that was used on Sergachev off a 20 goal, 50 point season.

As for Dach, he wasn’t NHL ready, everyone knew it, and Chicago forced it and they were in a full rebuild. 

It’s a fair point and we will see.

Hopefully he improves and contributes 

51 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Hypothetical: it’s November 5th, Lafreniere has 1 goal, 2 assists and has bounced from line to line to try to get going.

Does Drury pick up the phone and call Patrick Kane, while simultaneously shopping Lafreniere?

11/5 is 11 games in. I don't see that as being a reasonable amount of time to make that kind of decision.

Kane is a bum now too. Gross.

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i hope that a 21 year old former 1AO is on a longer leash than "if by November you still cant figure it out, you are out of here".  

If Laf stays a productive 3rd liner who puts up around 45 points all of his remaining career, it'll be a good enough for me.  

I hear you, on this one my man...I'm hoping he can be servicable too!  But that's exactly what kills me;

Here we have a #1 OA pick, and we're hoping at best his ceiling is 40 points and 3rd liner.  Not exactly a Mario Lemieux or a McDavid!

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I hear you, on this one my man...I'm hoping he can be servicable too!  But that's exactly what kills me;

Here we have a #1 OA pick, and we're hoping at best his ceiling is 40 points and 3rd liner.  Not exactly a Mario Lemieux or a McDavid!

i write it off as Ranger luck. we dont get Lemieuxs and McDavids because we dont tank when we need to

We as Rangers fans fall in love with our players too easily.   Being happy with someone on the 3rd line making 40 points who really doesn't contribute to the team's success is part of the reason we win the cup so infrequently.  In any sport the goal is to keep improving the team and to win championships not be complacent.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

i write it off as Ranger luck. we dont get Lemieuxs and McDavids because we dont tank when we need to

Just stings, man!  How cool would it be to get a player like a Joe Sakic, Mario Lemieux or a Sid the Kid just once in our lives without having to "buy" them as free agents?

• Bullseye 1
  • Believe 1