• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

I figured I'd put my 2 cents in before the season starts, so I can be on the record as it plays out. Sorry for the length. 

I think Friedman set the stage correctly as he talked about the Rangers being lucky in the lottery and unlucky in the draft. Unless you have a long record of arguing in 2020 that the Rangers should have picked someone else (nobody here does), much of the excoriation of Laf is mostly a tantrum that it turned out to be a a relatively poor draft year. There was no Connor Bedard or even Jack Hughes to be had at 1OA, and Laf shouldn't have to bear responsibility for not being one. Don't you think he wanted to be the dominant 1OA y'all wanted him to be? It's not his fault that he is not that guy and it's not his fault that he has not been "WHAT WE WERE PROMISED."

He can only be the best player that he can. 

I dare say that Laf's start with the Rangers was the first time anybody suggested that he sucked at hockey. It was probably the first time that anyone said he was anything other than the best player on the ice in almost all situations. At 19, 20, 21, that come-down had to completely rock his foundation and make him question everything he's ever assumed as true. And then if you aren't what you thought you were, how do you go about becoming the best version of what you are? That can make a young player look pretty confused about what they're supposed to be doing on the ice and even maybe sometimes seem like he's not trying.

If we had not gotten lucky with the lottery and picked at, say, #10 both years and gotten Kakko and Laf, I bet most of us would be pretty happy with the yield - even if Laf was slow to come along. (I'm much more pissed about getting zippo for a #9 in Krav than I am about Laf.) This time last year, a lot of people were pissing on Kakko from a great height after his awful 2021-22 season. But it was all part of the road to figuring it out and now our 1RW is being set up as the toast of the town. Last year was Laf's equivalent to Kakko's shitty 21-year old season. Give him this one to figure it out whether you think that the finished product is going to look anything like your 1OA wet dream or not. 

The suggestion that Laf should be throwing himself on the floor before the media, apologizing for not meeting our expectations says a lot more about the people saying it than about Laf. He is what he is - and I think that's potentially an excellent NHL contributor. If there is anything that keeps him from that, it's going to be all the people who can't get out of their own heads about what a 1OA is supposed to be, rather than what Laf can realistically do for the Rangers.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

20 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I figured I'd put my 2 cents in before the season starts, so I can be on the record as it plays out. Sorry for the length. 

I think Friedman set the stage correctly as he talked about the Rangers being lucky in the lottery and unlucky in the draft. Unless you have a long record of arguing in 2020 that the Rangers should have picked someone else (nobody here does), much of the excoriation of Laf is mostly a tantrum that it turned out to be a a relatively poor draft year. There was no Connor Bedard or even Jack Hughes to be had at 1OA, and Laf shouldn't have to bear responsibility for not being one. Don't you think he wanted to be the dominant 1OA y'all wanted him to be? It's not his fault that he is not that guy and it's not his fault that he has not been "WHAT WE WERE PROMISED."

I dare say that Laf's start with the Rangers was the first time anybody suggested that he sucked at hockey. It was probably the first time that anyone said he was anything other than the best player on the ice in almost all situations. At 19, 20, 21, that come-down had to completely rock his foundation and make him question everything he's ever assumed as true. And then if you aren't what you thought you were, how do you go about becoming the best version of what you are? That can make a young player look pretty confused about what they're supposed to be doing on the ice and even maybe sometimes seem like he's not trying.

If we had not gotten lucky with the lottery and picked at, say, #10 both years and gotten Kakko and Laf, I bet most of us would be pretty happy with the yield - even if Laf was slow to come along. (I'm much more pissed about getting zippo for a #9 in Krav than I am about Laf.) This time last year, a lot of people were pissing on Kakko from a great height after his awful 2021-22 season. But it was all part of the road to figuring it out and now our 1RW is being set up as the toast of the town. Last year was Laf's equivalent to Kakko's shitty 21-year old season. Give him this one to figure it out whether you think that the finished product is going to look anything like your 1OA wet dream or not. 

The suggestion that Laf should be throwing himself on the floor before the media, apologizing for not meeting our expectations says a lot more about the people saying it than about Laf. He is what he is - and I think that's potentially an excellent NHL contributor. If there is anything that keeps him from that, it's going to be all the people who can't get out of their own heads about what a 1OA is supposed to be, rather than what Laf can realistically do for the Rangers.

Hear hear!

26 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Partially agreed.

but there’s clearly been a lack of effort with him too. It’s been discussed ad nauseum. Let’s just see how he does. 

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

A lot of truth to this. But also a lot of exaggeration, especially the last paragraph, but I get it.

I think the problem with "all he can do is be the best player he can" is that he actually needs to be the best player he can...And he isn't doing that. If you listen to the latest Up in the Blue Seats podcast, Brooks basically calls this pre-season the most disappointing 2 weeks of Laf's career. He says the team bent over backward to work with him after last season (acknowledging GG fucked up with him), and by all accounts, everyone involved is now wondering what's wrong with Laf...He's been that bad in camp...With so much opportunity and support given to him.

I'd never blame a player for being what he is, but I do blame players who don't try to improve themselves. Brooks also talks about how after Boyle's first season as a Ranger, he knew he had to do something because he couldn't keep up. He worked his ass off and wound up centering the best 4th line the Rangers have had, maybe ever. He was a #11 overall.

I don't think anybody is setting up or talking up Kakko as the toast of the town. Most are saying he's gapped Laf. There's more talk about how we're going to plug the RW gap come TDL this time round than Kakko being the toast of the town.

Keeping it short all the players were promised a clean slate coming into camp, opportunities were given that weren't earned in the past based on performance. Yet Brooks sums up Laf's play as the worst two weeks to date. That's on the player. 

Truth of the matter at this point is that Kakko finally looked like a 3rd liner last season, same as Lafreniere.  A year later in the development cycle.

I'm disappointed in Laf's production but he has more even strength goals after 3 seasons than anybody else on the Rangers had by then.  This not including Panarin who was 24 when he came over.