• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Also, here's another name I'd have tons of interest in: Ulf Samuelsson. One of the only coaches in recent memory who did good work with the defense. Maybe bring him back as Knob's associate? Him, or Jaques Martin.

Isn’t ulf an assistant in Florida right now?

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

Isn’t ulf an assistant in Florida right now?

No, was with Florida last, but that was in the bubble.

I don't know if he's a head coach, but I know that Gord Murphy sucks, so I'd be looking at anyone who can actually coach NHL-level defense.

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

Whole lotta updates to tickle your pickle this morning @BrooksBurner:

From Friedman:

"I think a priority is going to be can we find a coach who can reach [Lafreniere], who can get the most out of him ... I don't think the Rangers want to trade this guy ... I think that's going to be a focal point of the search."

"One of the names that's been talked about is Kris Knoblaugh who's done a really nice job with HFD in AHL."

"I think there's a general feeling about the Rangers — are they a team that's willing to go for someone who's never had NHL head coaching experience? That's kinda not their MO. Sometimes that's worked for them, and sometimes it hasn't. Maybe they'll surprise everybody."

From Seravalli:

"How do you think you get the next Jon Cooper ... Jared Bednar? Where do you think they come from? Everyone has to get their first start somewhere, and most of the time they come through an org and get promoted."

"Knoblaugh has NHL bench experience. ... has now gone back to being a head coach in the AHL for a number of years. You can't tell me between winning 2 major junior championships in two different leagues and having all this pro experience that he's not ready. I don't buy it."

"I don't understand the fear that comes with promoting these guys. Connor McDavid just said it, saying Jay Woodcroft is one of the top-three or five coaches in the NHL. Where did Jay Woodcroft come from? Why is everyone so afraid?"

Right. Discover the next Jon Cooper before he's Jon Cooper. We say the same thing about players all of the time, most recently about high priced bottom 6er Goodrow.

Another interesting note about Knoblauch, I naturally assumed he won the OHL championship with McDavid. He did not.

Erie Otters Timeline:

'11-'12: 10-52 (pre-Knoblauch/McDavid)

'12-'13: 19-40-4 (McDavid starts as exceptional 15 y.o., Knoblauch took over the team midseason and went 12-25-4 rest of way)

'13-'14: 52-14-2 (Conference Finals loss)

'14-'15: 50-14-4 (Finals Loss, McDavid drafted)

'15-'16: 52-15-1 (Conference Finals loss)

'16-'17: 50-15-3 (Finals win, also per Wiki, 1st OHL team in history to have 4 50 win seasons in a row, Knoblauch leaves for Philly)

'17-'18: 23-35-7 (Right back to garbage post-Knoblauch)

It doesn't appear to be a situation of "Knoblauch got carried by McDavid". The success wasn't immediate with McDavid, albeit he was young, and the success was sustained since the first full season he coached there through past the two overlapping McDavid years. And then success fell apart for Erie after Knoblauch left.

In Philly from '17-'19, Knob got a taste of NHL playoffs behind the bench as an assistant coach in 2018. 

Drury poaches him from Philly to be Hartford's coach in '19. He's got a solid record while given a pretty shit roster yearly. He has them in the Division Finals this year.

He's primed for a legitimate chance as an NHL coach.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

I remember when Knoblauch filled in for Quinn and in the first game they beat the Flyers 9-0 and people wanted him to coach after that. lol Yeah, some might have been facetious, but it was funny. There was a few games there they looked pretty good. I don't remember what their record was in those games he coached, but there were a couple of really good performances I remember.

• Bullseye 2
  • VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

I think you don't fire a coach like GG after these two seasons unless you already know what's next and Knoblauch is the only choice that Drury had control of.

It's concerning that a new hire hasn't been made.  I don't know how you make the firing without having the next hire lined up.  Hopefully it's just working through contract details and not still deciding between candidates.

Just now, fletch said:

It's concerning that a new hire hasn't been made.  I don't know how you make the firing without having the next hire lined up.  Hopefully it's just working through contract details and not still deciding between candidates.

Hartford is still in the playoffs.  It would be harmful to their chances to create any distraction.

21 minutes ago, fletch said:

I don't know that it matters, they canned Quinn without having GG under contract. 

I think they knew he wasn't their guy, they aren't gonna run it back with him regardless of who else is or isn't available. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know that it matters, they canned Quinn without having GG under contract. 

I think they knew he wasn't their guy, they aren't gonna run it back with him regardless of who else is or isn't available. 

It's just a guess but I think the heated altercation that GG and Drury had after game 4 probably flared up again around the end of season interview and the decision to move on was quick and mutual.

50 minutes ago, fletch said:

I totally disagree. I think this will be calculated and announced early/mid summer. I don't foresee a rush at all.

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

It only matters if you’re scrambling to fill a job?  Corporations like to minimize uncertainty, but maybe only small markets or toxic situations worry about not finding a suitable replacement.  If Drury just wants to be rid of GG because of a blow-up, maybe it is just more important to move on without knowing the next move.  Evidence to me though that this may not have been completely figured out first.  I’m supposed to trust the org and not think this might be amateur hour.

42 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's just a guess but I think the heated altercation that GG and Drury had after game 4 probably flared up again around the end of season interview and the decision to move on was quick and mutual.

Drury may just be a below average NHL executive, although Sather's hand-picked successor.  I haven't understood the Rangers' identity, organizational planning, and culture since Torts.   It's just been a rotating carousel of coaches.  If it wasn't for 1994, I probably wouldn't be a fan any more, because I've had more head-scratching in the past 30 years than glorious moments.  Hopefully my doubt is misplaced and there is a chance we'll win a title in the next 5 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fletch said:

I partially agree about having someone lined up before firing. It could be that there are several candidates Drury likes a lot, and he is not worried about getting just one of them. Generally, if the choices aren’t great it can be a better idea to stick with the devil you know in GG and see what unfolds the following year. Dru must see a few candidates he likes more.

36 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I partially agree about having someone lined up before firing. It could be that there are several candidates Drury likes a lot, and he is not worried about getting just one of them. Generally, if the choices aren’t great it can be a better idea to stick with the devil you know in GG and see what unfolds the following year. Dru must see a few candidates he likes more.

I'll try to keep the faith and reserve judgement until I see who we get.  By definition these kinds of searches have to been out of the public eye.  I would think the new coach's system impacts the roster we want on opening night - let's hope it's a good match.  We have a good idea who we want our core to be.

9 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/kris-knoblauchs-ahl-success-prepared-him-for-rangers-coach-look/

This article sums up pretty much all of what we are asking for......and it comes from an internal candidate. Why wouldn't be promote this guy? Forget the big names. I'm not interested. Knoblauch's reviews seem like a smarter in game Gallant. Seems like a good guy, these guys would want to play for. Lindgren even says as much.

Here is to hoping!!!

What am I missing here? This guy hasn't spent much time coaching any of the current young players on the roster. Besides maybe Jones, Robertson and Cuylle,  it's not like the Rangers are bringing up Hartford players next season. 

He hasn't won at the AHL level.  Is it ignorant to ask if it's a big accomplishment to win a championship in the WHL and OHL? 

There's no dots connecting here. Mediocre minor league coaches don't land the NHL gig replacing a Gérard Gallant coming off of 2- 100 point seasons.  A guy that has been tearing up the A and develops players for the big club, gets a look on a young team. A guy that hasn't won and hasn't developed anything,  doesn't get to replace a 100 point coach. 

This want to bring in a coach, just so we can call him home grown, is a bad take. It falls in line with how we as fans wanted so badly to develop our own players.  Jesus, some people still want to keep Lafrenière despite his bust status. Just because he's ours. 

Knoblauch has to be THE LEAST attractive candidate. 

I'm baffled how a guy like Laviolette, who won with young and old rosters (1 cup win, 2 other cup appearances,  4 conference finals appearances) is deemed a retread.

Rick Bowness is a retread. Boudreau is a retread. Paul Maurice, Sutter, Vineault. Guys that fail consistently. Guys that never make it to the conference finals, much less cup finals. 

I'm firmly against Knoblauch. It's a name that doesn't deserve to be mentioned with these other names.

Brunette is the guy, if you really want to give a guy his first shot. 

If only Berube and the Blues had more down years than they've had. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

What am I missing here? This guy hasn't spent much time coaching any of the current young players on the roster. Besides maybe Jones, Robertson and Cuylle,  it's not like the Rangers are bringing up Hartford players next season. 

He hasn't won at the AHL level.  Is it ignorant to ask if it's a big accomplishment to win a championship in the WHL and OHL? 

There's no dots connecting here. Mediocre minor league coaches don't land the NHL gig replacing a Gérard Gallant coming off of 2- 100 point seasons.  A guy that has been tearing up the A and develops players for the big club, gets a look on a young team. A guy that hasn't won and hasn't developed anything,  doesn't get to replace a 100 point coach. 

This want to bring in a coach, just so we can call him home grown, is a bad take. It falls in line with how we as fans wanted so badly to develop our own players.  Jesus, some people still want to keep Lafrenière despite his bust status. Just because he's ours. 

Knoblauch has to be THE LEAST attractive candidate. 

I'm baffled how a guy like Laviolette, who won with young and old rosters (1 cup win, 2 other cup appearances,  4 conference finals appearances) is deemed a retread.

Rick Bowness is a retread. Boudreau is a retread. Paul Maurice, Sutter, Vineault. Guys that fail consistently. Guys that never make it to the conference finals, much less cup finals. 

I'm firmly against Knoblauch. It's a name that doesn't deserve to be mentioned with these other names.

Brunette is the guy, if you really want to give a guy his first shot. 

If only Berube and the Blues had more down years than they've had. 

Sutter is more accomplished than Laviolette. If he's a retread, and he is, then so is Lav. Ironically, Gallant's playoff win % is a hair better than both of them and has had significantly more success the last 5 years.

Washington thought Lav was a safe pick too, and he was a big time bust there. I don't think he's as safe a pick everyone seems to think he is.

I'm mixed on Brunette. The only head coaching experience he has had at any level is after Q resigned. That team had already gotten coached up by Q and he had them turning a corner big time. They started 7-0 his 3rd year there before resigning and then Brunette took over. It is possible he picked up a lot of stuff from Q though since he was there the entire time Q was. I actually think he's a bigger question mark than Knob with his lack of experience being the top guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fletch said:

It only matters if you’re scrambling to fill a job?  Corporations like to minimize uncertainty, but maybe only small markets or toxic situations worry about not finding a suitable replacement.  If Drury just wants to be rid of GG because of a blow-up, maybe it is just more important to move on without knowing the next move.  Evidence to me though that this may not have been completely figured out first.  I’m supposed to trust the org and not think this might be amateur hour.

I don't think they are scrambling. They have plenty of time. Lots of coaches will become available to interview after the playoffs as well. 

17 hours ago, Phil said:

A big part of the up sell on Knob is that he "knows the players" already. Especially some of the younger harder-working ones who the Rangers are probably going to look to to fix the roster imbalance problem. Like, maybe Tim Gettinger never makes it, but there's a group of performers there that Knob has coached for a while now who should be in the pool: Gettinger, Brodzinksi, Cuylle, Karl Henriksson, Brett Berard, Sykora, Trivigno, etc.

They won't all make it, but some probably will.

Didn't he coach the team for a game or two earlier too? During Covid or something?

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Didn't he coach the team for a game or two earlier too? During Covid or something?

Yes, for like three games. That's not what I meant — I'm talking about the guys in the A with him right now, a few of whom are probably gonna be relied on to fill bottom-of-the-roster roles for cheap. Brodzinski, Cuylle, Henriksson, Trivigno, eventually Berard, Sykora, etc.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, for like three games. That's not what I meant — I'm talking about the guys in the A with him right now, a few of whom are probably gonna be relied on to fill bottom-of-the-roster roles for cheap. Brodzinski, Cuylle, Henriksson, Trivigno, eventually Berard, Sykora, etc.

Maybe there's posters here who have watched the Wolfpack regularly who know more, but some names that stick out to me based on stats/reading/previous knowledge of them:

- Cuylle had a good 1st year (25 goals in 69 games), and historically it takes longer to develop these kinds of big power forward types.

- Zac Jones is the Pack's best offensive defenseman. It would be nice to see a little more production (31 in 54), but this probably has as much to do with a lack of offensive talent up front as anything. He has 2 goals and 5 points in 6 playoff games.

- Brodzinski looks like Knob's "go to" forward, Wolfpack Captain, and he's had stints with the Rangers where his speed and willingness to forecheck were evident, but wasn't able to chip in much offense. PPG player for Knob last two years. He's going to be 30 this summer, and chances are he's an AHL lifer, but you never know?

- Brandon Scanlin was an undrafted free agent left defenseman out of college they signed last spring. Big at 6'4" 215, team leader in +/-. About to be 24 y.o, RFA this summer. This random Canucks blogger was pretty high on him a year ago and said he's a big, meanie pants crease clearer who needed to work on his skating. 

- Garand (G) had a shaky regular season, .894 sv%, 3.01 gaa, but has been lights out in the playoffs (7 games, .954 sv%, 1.17 gaa). Is this Knob changing the team's approach in the playoffs to protect the net and make it easier for Garand, or is Garand just a big time gamer? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Maybe there's posters here who have watched the Wolfpack regularly who know more, but some names that stick out to me based on stats/reading/previous knowledge of them:

- Cuylle had a good 1st year (25 goals in 69 games), and historically it takes longer to develop these kinds of big power forward types.

- Zac Jones is the Pack's best offensive defenseman. It would be nice to see a little more production (31 in 54), but this probably has as much to do with a lack of offensive talent up front as anything. He has 2 goals and 5 points in 6 playoff games.

- Brodzinski looks like Knob's "go to" forward, Wolfpack Captain, and he's had stints with the Rangers where his speed and willingness to forecheck were evident, but wasn't able to chip in much offense. PPG player for Knob last two years. He's going to be 30 this summer, and chances are he's an AHL lifer, but you never know?

- Brandon Scanlin was an undrafted free agent left defenseman out of college they signed last spring. Big at 6'4" 215, team leader in +/-. About to be 24 y.o, RFA this summer. This random Canucks blogger was pretty high on him a year ago and said he's a big, meanie pants crease clearer who needed to work on his skating. 

- Garand (G) had a shaky regular season, .894 sv%, 3.01 gaa, but has been lights out in the playoffs (7 games, .954 sv%, 1.17 gaa). Is this Knob changing the team's approach in the playoffs to protect the net and make it easier for Garand, or is Garand just a big time gamer? 🤷‍♂️

@Drew a Penalty has been watching the Pack pretty religiously through the playoff run. He can add to your thoughts.

I think Cuylle could do well with another year in the AHL, but I could see him being competitive. Jones is ready to either be our 3LD or be traded. Brodzinski is what he is - and we know he can hack it in the NHL as a depth option. Same with Carpenter.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle and Jones are undeniably in the best positions for promotion. Both have gotten significant usage from Knoblauch in all situations and have mostly done well. Cuylle has been getting PK time to shoulder more responsibility and has looked good there. Hartford's PK has been particularly dangerous lately in its attempts to score shorthanded. I'd like to see more flash from Jones on PP which is supposed to be his bread and butter. It feels like he's not fully in command of his unit as a QB and is more reliant on the veterans he's out there with like Brodzinski and Carpenter. He's been solid otherwise aside from the occasional lapse in judgment. 

I particularly like the small worker bees in Hartford. Henriksson and Trivigno both really grind it out and have some extra skill to show here and there. Trivigno especially seems to enjoy being a nuisance and mouthing off. Henriksson, who is clearly one of Knobluach's soldiers, is super steady and often seems to be doing little things to help turn play the other way. There are a lot of little details to appreciate in Henriksson's game that remind me of Fast, but the comparison ends there. Fast is considerably larger and a more physical wing while Henriksson is a diminutive center with a good stick.

Garand has been really good since he's had a chance to run with the starting position with Domingue in NY. He was already picking his game up around the New Year, but this is obviously a more stark improvement, at least statistically. The Pack are playing a super tight game, though. They're the complete opposite of the Rangers in that they're winning a large percentage of puck battles, clogging up the neutral zone, and turning pucks back in the other direction quickly. They killed off a 5 minute major in the last game with seemingly very little difficulty. That's not to say Garand hasn't played well, he has, but he's not getting shelled or facing extreme danger shots.

Scanlin has been fine. He's steady. Emberson has definitely stuck out to me more, but he plays the opposite side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1