• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Chytil Have Begun Preliminary Talks on Contract Extension

Phil

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It’s still better over the long haul than you’re gonna get from Strome, in those 2 areas. 
Plus he’s 10% better on face offs. Which is huge. They lacked it. They needed it. And end of day offensive output is equal or better.

Point is… yeah. You’re right.

Those 2 numbers right now, aren’t the case.

Cant play him with Panarin. Hasn’t worked.

But he’s still a very valuable, productive, and versatile piece. 

Just need the right deployment plus a couple pieces to upgrade/supplement. 

I agree with your conclusion, but not with how you got there and the 1:1 comparisons to Strome don't matter. Strome was never a minus player for the Rangers, Trocheck is team worst -7 but we're still out here acting saying Tro is better defensively when that just might not be the case.

It's a lot of money for faceoffs.

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Trochek has been good. Just no chemistry with Panarin and therefore a forced, and incorrect deployment. 

And by the way, while I’m no particular fan of his, not entirely on the shoulders of GG.

You bring in that guy, the coach has to play them that way.

He probably stuck with it too long though.

But either way. 
While his contract is too long, he’s not overpaid.

Hes pacing for 23 goals and 60 points.

Thats with hitting about a 20 posts already.

Plus defensively responsible, good on PK, and 56.5% in faceoff circle. 

Stop riding him. 

At this point though, just play him on the 3rd line. He’s still going to get 18-20 minutes a night. 

They’re likely to make the trade for Kane.

I think after that the top-9 should be:

Panarin-Zib-Kane

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko 

Kreider-Trochek-Goodrow 

Add Vesey plus a 4th line forward at the deadline , plus a group of Gauthier, Lesch, Blais, and Brodzinski, and you are solid. 

Thats 14 deep. With no one truly out of place

IMaybe they could use 2 RWs. Kane/Tarasenko  and maybe Domi. 

I'll always suggest Domi. I think when his heads on straight, he's a pretty versatile player. 

Kreider- Trocheck- Domi 

50 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

So.. only +/-?

Yes a career of being a minus player on some very good teams would allow me to think that player would be undeserving of a reputation of being good defensively. 

What would be your conclusion? He's just been really unlucky for a decade? 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I agree with your conclusion, but not with how you got there and the 1:1 comparisons to Strome don't matter. Strome was never a minus player for the Rangers, Trocheck is team worst -7 but we're still out here acting saying Tro is better defensively when that just might not be the case.

It's a lot of money for faceoffs.

Yup

An extra 800+ K a year.

1%

I had some doubts about whether key or chytil were the bigger priority for the future, but after last night...chytil is clearly the priority.

At this point, u have to pull out all stops to lock him up, unless u bring back a haul at the deadline/postseason.

Edited by Jdog99

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anything under $5M has sailed. Gone. At any term length.

So what is Drury going to do? The price just keeps going up.

The way I see it, and hate to say it, is that they trade Lindgren in the offseason. That opens up another 3m in cap space. 1m of that would be for a bargain vet D,/ farm guy like Jones, and the extra 2m space goes right to Chytil. I just don’t see them forcing Trouba or Kreider into a trade so it seems to be the only likely other scenario. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

The way I see it, and hate to say it, is that they trade Lindgren in the offseason. That opens up another 3m in cap space. 1m of that would be for a bargain vet D,/ farm guy like Jones, and the extra 2m space goes right to Chytil. I just don’t see them forcing Trouba or Kreider into a trade so it seems to be the only likely other scenario. 

Michael Scott No GIF

• LOL 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I dunno about you guys but I’m ready to move on from Kreider. Find a way to move him. 

Him and Trochek are playing on the third line. You can argue Trochek is a center so we had to pay a premium for him. Can't make that argument for Kreider. Send him packing somewhere else. Time to move on and get that cap space back!

14 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Is Bedard that good? Does he step in immediately (next season) and help us win a cup? Not for nothing, but we went to the ECF last season...this team's window is literally now - not sure you give up those three for 1OA next year. 

exactly - this teams window is now...as in this season...chytil is then gone, or we have some other big casualty + repercussions down the line, so might as well consider risking a possible one hit retool with the best 10A since Mcdavid

3 hours ago, phillyb said:

Is Bedard that good? Does he step in immediately (next season) and help us win a cup? Not for nothing, but we went to the ECF last season...this team's window is literally now - not sure you give up those three for 1OA next year. 

A lot of this teams talent is unmovable due to NMC and the young guys that aren't unmovable fit within the Shesty window.  It's be really easy to trade a few young guys and find ourselves capstrung for the next 5 years and unable to get over the top.

5 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anything under $5M has sailed. Gone. At any term length.

So what is Drury going to do? The price just keeps going up.

They'll get him for 4 if they act now.

He's not getting 5 or over. 

One good season isn't getting him 5. It took a few decent seasons and a PPG season for Buch to get 5.8 per. 

I see a 4X4 extension coming. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Him and Trochek are playing on the third line. You can argue Trochek is a center so we had to pay a premium for him. Can't make that argument for Kreider. Send him packing somewhere else. Time to move on and get that cap space back!

Kreider is playing on the 3rd line to accommodate Panarin.  Let's not dub him a 3rd liner. They are spreading out the talent and keeping the kid line together.  Many of us hoped for this. We just expected more game impact from Panarin.  

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They'll get him for 4 if they act now.

He's not getting 5 or over. 

One good season isn't getting him 5. It took a few decent seasons and a PPG season for Buch to get 5.8 per. 

I see a 4X4 extension coming. 

Two years until UFA. At 4x4 he'd be selling two UFA years for $4M per. Don't see that happening at all. That's fire your agent kind of stuff.

Much as we hate it, the only contracts of any size without NMCs are Lindgren and Goodrow, and even those are quite modest and wouldn't result in that much cap saving when you factor in whoever replaces them on the roster.  They may try to bridge Chytil for two years, at which point Trouba and and Kreider will have no-trade lists.

Talk of NMC waivers  for the guys who have them on this team are largely fantasies for forums, not the real world.

You think we have problems now, wait until 2025, when they have to resign Shesty with Bread still on the books for another year.  Talk about trying to hammer a round peg into a square hole.

• Like 1