• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Chytil Have Begun Preliminary Talks on Contract Extension

Phil

There have been preliminary talks between the Rangers and J.P. Barry, Chytil’s agent, on a new deal, according to two league sources. The talks haven’t progressed very far likely due to the uncertainty of the Rangers’ cap situation next season, those extensions due Miller/Lafrenière/Kravtsov, and Chytil’s strong season so far — his number could be going up as he continues to put strong games together.

Chytil has arbitration rights this summer and is two years from unrestricted free agency. At a $2.3-million cap hit and $2.6-million salary for this season, his arbitration number would almost certainly be around  $4 million for next season. To get anything done with Chytil for multiple years, it’s likely a deal north of $4 million per. This isn’t a wild cap hit for the Rangers to absorb — they’re still going to be in cap jail next season if they want to sign all four of those key RFAs — but Chytil may not want to lock in long term given his prospects for more ice time with the Rangers are limited.

Mika Zibanejad just started an eight-year deal. Vincent Trocheck has six more years after this one. So that leaves Chytil as the No. 3 center for the foreseeable future.

If there are any further contract talks and they go nowhere, Chytil’s trade possibility might increase. It’s a hard one to justify, though.

https://theathletic.com/4104473/2023/01/19/rangers-trade-deadline-patrick-kane-filip-chytil-contract/?source=emp_shared_article

• JIMMY! 1

I know he specifically talks about Chtyil possibly having reservations about term, but the writing is on the wall here. Trocheck may be signed for eternity, but I think he's very clearly going to be their third-line center by next year because he really doesn't work with Panarin at all. He was most effective with Kreider in a straight up North American/checking style line.

If I were Drury, short of making promises I can't keep, I'd be reassuring Chytil that the opportunity is prime for him to take that spot and carve out a long-term hold as the team's 2C. Trocheck may end up getting moved in a couple of years regardless.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I know he specifically talks about Chtyil possibly having reservations about term, but the writing is on the wall here. Trocheck may be signed for eternity, but I think he's very clearly going to be their third-line center by next year because he really doesn't work with Panarin at all. He was most effective with Kreider in a straight up North American/checking style line.

If I were Drury, short of making promises I can't keep, I'd be reassuring Chytil that the opportunity is prime for him to take that spot and carve out a long-term hold as the team's 2C. Trocheck may end up getting moved in a couple of years regardless.

Chytil kinda reminds me of a young Zibby.  I think you're right, Chief!  That #2 spot should be Chytil's.  I like Trocheck as a #3C.  I know it's a drain on the ol' salary cap, but I think Tro fits that 3C role exceptionally well.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup, and I mentioned somewhere else but Trocheck’s 5.6 is nothing in a couple of seasons. The cap is supposed to go up to like 88 million by then isn’t it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

They all get pretty equal ice time at ES.

Unless there's a mandate for more PPT for the 2nd unit, it's improbabale he gets more ice here even as 2C. 

Call me controversial but I actually don't think there's a bad option here. If we sign him for a bit of term for 4/4.5, great. Not going to be too excited, he's never going to dramatically outperform that, it's probably going to be fine. We could do worse.

Also, if we just walk him to UFA and he leaves, then also...great. I'm not going to miss him and for the majority of his time here he has played fragile and non-impactful hockey, recency bias aside. 

• VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

They all get pretty equal ice time at ES.

Unless there's a mandate for more PPT for the 2nd unit, it's improbabale he gets more ice here even as 2C. 

That's true, and Trocheck has done nothing on PP1. So maybe they make up more of the difference there.

We have 15m cap space this coming offseason (could improve depending on cap rising but looks like it’ll be 1m more into 16m space)
2 years 4.5m per Chytil

2 years 2.5m per Laf

2 years 4.0m per Key

11m for those three.

We then need a backup for around 1.5m, and a 6d for around 1m , a 7th d for under 1m, and Othmann comes in at 894k ELC. 

Grand total around 15.5m which keeps us under our ceiling as long as the cap goes up 1m. 

Problem is, it leaves no room for Kravtsov or Gauthier. I assume Gauthier goes bye regardless but we are a couple of bodies short of a full roster. I think, no? 

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

FWIW at 2 years I think chytil comes to 4 rather than 4.5 since we're not buying UFA years there. 

I think that's a fair ballpark, but I don't think the Rangers are going to be interested in doing 2 years because of that. I see them doing either 1 year or 3+, and that's going to depend on what Chytil wants from both a money and a role standpoint. By the looks of it, the Rangers want 3+.

24 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Last year vs. just over half this year.  Trocheck is out producing Strome.  The glaring issue is Kreider not converting his tips anywhere near the rate he did last year.

Untitled.png

And yet the PP overall is worse...And sorry the issue isn't Kreider. He's not even getting the same amount of touches because Panarin is shooting more and Zib is missing more.

16 hours ago, Keirik said:

We have 15m cap space this coming offseason (could improve depending on cap rising but looks like it’ll be 1m more into 16m space)
2 years 4.5m per Chytil

2 years 2.5m per Laf

2 years 4.0m per Key

11m for those three.

We then need a backup for around 1.5m, and a 6d for around 1m , a 7th d for under 1m, and Othmann comes in at 894k ELC. 

Grand total around 15.5m which keeps us under our ceiling as long as the cap goes up 1m. 

Problem is, it leaves no room for Kravtsov or Gauthier. I assume Gauthier goes bye regardless but we are a couple of bodies short of a full roster. I think, no? 

my has the outlook for Laf changed since he was drafted!  Not disagreeing, just observing.

Chytil has a bit of a chip on his shoulder this year and he's definitely playing more up to his size than he was.

I think a light flipped on in the playoffs last year and he's going to produce based on the opportunities he gets moving forward.  He's definitely worth more than Trocheck on the ice right now.

The kid is coming of age, right in front of our eyes!!!  I'm absolutely LOVING this kid line!!  We resign Chytil, no worries.  He'll be worth every penny down the road!  I see him as Zibby 2.0 in a few years.

Kid's a shooter too!!  We need that!

The only fly in the ointment is that he's gotta shake that "fragile" past.  We need him to be a guy we can count on to play regularly and not miss games with injuries.  Maybe also work on his skill at the dot....Other than that, I think he's going to be great here with Kakko and Yukon.

I don't know about this year, but our not too distant future looks very promising!