• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Chytil Have Begun Preliminary Talks on Contract Extension

Phil

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That’s a reach. I didn’t justify anything. I’m treating Zibanejad’s and Chytil’s slumps similarly. I’m not overreacting to either, and what I’d like to see is if one is slumping the other one is grooving. That’s how you stay afloat and have success. It’s not always the same guy. It seems you are the one trying to justify treating the streaks differently.

It's a Chytil thread. Let's talk about what Chytil does and is as it relates to his peers, which Zib is not.

You might be right that they should trade him, just for the wrong reasons. What I’ve pointed out reinforces that Chytil is a top 6 player on offense and should be top 6 with a quality PP role and time. He’s semi-blocked at his position from reaching his full potential. That is why it might make sense to trade him. Not because he goes through streaks like others.

If Chytil is going to keep being what Chytil is now, I don't see a reason for this team, in this cap situation, to spend market value on him.

In one thread you want Chytil slotted between Panarin and Kane, which acknowledges Chytil is a good offensive player. In this thread, he’s not worth $4M and Dru should walk away. Mixed messaging.

Wrong. We're post deadline. The team is what it is. I built lines that are balanced and play to strengths. What they do in the off season is a completely different conversation.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's a Chytil thread. Let's talk about what Chytil does and is as it relates to his peers, which Zib is not.

If Chytil is going to keep being what Chytil is now, I don't see a reason for this team, in this cap situation, to spend market value on him.

Wrong. We're post deadline. The team is what it is. I built lines that are balanced and play to strengths. What they do in the off season is a completely different conversation.

Rejected. Judging Chytil’s worth and where he should be playing in the lineup inevitably requires looking at how other player’s perform. It’s been that way forever and teams and agents will both continue to do that to form opinions and valuations whether you like it or not. Apparently, Zib is his peer at even strength this year, as has been demonstrated without refute. Hence your reasoning for wanting to put this in a vacuum.

That’s fine. It’s fair. I might even agree (but probably not). There’s a good argument to be made that Kane or Tarasenko at roughly the same or slightly more $, is a better use of Chytil’s cap space for the next 2-3 seasons. I would contend they should not sacrifice Chytil for that cap space though. It should be Miller. Different discussion for a different thread.

What I said was correct. So you acknowledge that Chytil’s strength is as a 23 y.o. top 6 offensive C who could hang with Panarin and Kane, but you don’t want that skillset moving forward at anything more than $4M. Which, of course, is a short sighted view because Trocheck is naturally going to deteriorate to 3C quality within a couple more seasons, and the organization has zero depth at center after Chytil.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rejected. Judging Chytil’s worth and where he should be playing in the lineup inevitably requires looking at how other player’s perform. It’s been that way forever and teams and agents will both continue to do that to form opinions and valuations whether you like it or not. Apparently, Zib is his peer at even strength this year, as has been demonstrated without refute. Hence your reasoning for wanting to put this in a vacuum.

That’s fine. It’s fair. I might even agree (but probably not). There’s a good argument to be made that Kane or Tarasenko at roughly the same or slightly more $, is a better use of Chytil’s cap space for the next 2-3 seasons. I would contend they should not sacrifice Chytil for that cap space though. It should be Miller. Different discussion for a different thread.

What I said was correct. So you acknowledge that Chytil’s strength is as a 23 y.o. top 6 offensive C who could hang with Panarin and Kane, but you don’t want that skillset moving forward at anything more than $4M. Which, of course, is a short sighted view because Trocheck is naturally going to deteriorate to 3C quality within a couple more seasons, and the organization has zero depth at center after Chytil.

I don't care what you reject LOL. Zib and Chytil are not peers. Other 3rd line centers with similar ice time and assignments are.

Again it doesn't matter what I'd do with Chytil in the offseason vs today. Today there's nothing that can be done, so you put him where you have a chance to get something out of him. Doesn't mean that should be the team's master plan, unless it's successful.

And by success I mean noticing Chtyil even played when he doesn't wind up on the scoresheet. Because right now, he doesn't.

Maybe we should let Chytil go and move K'Andre to center?

Just being facetious but it is amazing the number of talented offensive players the Rangers have developed and how few grinders alongside them.

We're going to go as far as Shesterkin takes us this season (again) despite adding all the talent.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't care what you reject LOL. Zib and Chytil are not peers. Other 3rd line centers with similar ice time and assignments are.

Again it doesn't matter what I'd do with Chytil in the offseason vs today. Today there's nothing that can be done, so you put him where you have a chance to get something out of him. Doesn't mean that should be the team's master plan, unless it's successful.

And by success I mean noticing Chtyil even played when he doesn't wind up on the scoresheet. Because right now, he doesn't.

I don’t even have to look to tell you that if Chytil is performing at a better 5v5 rate than Zibanejad, he’s outperforming 3Cs around the league. You’re making your argument worse by trying to reduce Chytil to his “3C peers”, because all it will show is he’s not a 3C. He’s developed into top 6 this year.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't want him to be a "consistent goal scorer" I want him to be a "consistent performer." He has two points (assists) in his last ten games. He hasnt' scored a goal in more than a month. He has five points (all assists) in his last 15 games.

Again, I think Pete is right. When he's not "on" he barely exists.

Ottawa wanted more consistency too, so they traded 23 year old 50 pt Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard.

• Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t even have to look to tell you that if Chytil is performing at a better 5v5 rate than Zibanejad, he’s outperforming 3Cs around the league. You’re making your argument worse by trying to reduce Chytil to his “3C peers”, because all it will show is he’s not a 3C. He’s developed into top 6 this year.

You lose. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're right. The points are going to get him paid, cause it certainly won't be for his piss poor defensive positioning that's for sure. It sounds like you might be confusing getting beat by the forecheck versus beating the forecheck when it comes to Miller. He's getting caught flat footed, making bad pinches, and experiencing headless chicken syndrome in his own zone an awful lot.

Tampa is spending $22M on their entire defensive corps this year. NYR is almost spending $22M on their top 3, and that's with Lindgren at a bargain rate. Tampa traded McDonagh's $6.5M and signed Cole to replace at $3M, so even if you consider they kept McDonagh instead of Cole, they would have been spending ~$25.5M on their entire defense. They've got big Sergachev and Cernak raises incoming next year, where they will be back to spending ~$25M on their defense. If they kept McDonagh, that number inflates to $28.5M and it would cost them a top 6 forward. It seems they have an internal figure for how much to spend on defense without breaking the bank, and it's not $32M.

Sure.  But Tampa signed Hedman 6 years ago and you're glossing over Sergachev and Cernak's extensions that kick in next year. 

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I mean I explicitly mentioned Sergachev and Cernak's extensions in my post you quoted. Is there a competition of who can have the worst reading comprehension between you and @Pete today? 😉

Sorry, I struggle to comprehend when there is so much inherently wrong. You can be my ally and make sure there's equity for me by being less wrong. Thanks in advance for your partnership.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry, I struggle to comprehend when there is so much inherently wrong. You can be my ally and make sure there's equity for me by being less wrong. Thanks in advance for your partnership.

You sound like my wife. Deep down I know you are wrong, but I pretend you aren’t because I love you 🤗

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 7:56 PM, The Dude said:

They'll get him for 4 if they act now.

He's not getting 5 or over. 

One good season isn't getting him 5. It took a few decent seasons and a PPG season for Buch to get 5.8 per. 

I see a 4X4 extension coming. 

I'm pretty damn good with these contracts. 

I think Miller at 5 X 5 is next. 

Hold out for Lafrenière. He's gonna want 4mill. Rangers arent going to oblige. 

Kakko ehhh. 2 or 3 X 3.5 

• Applause 1