• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Chytil Have Begun Preliminary Talks on Contract Extension

Phil

3 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

At this point were gonna have to overpay for sure...big f'n mistake not betting on him as the 2C and signing Tro.

Trocheck may end up being a misfire, but as long as he puts up his 50 points or so, he's extremely tradeable. His contract isn't onerous for a number of teams, he's still a very functional player, and his buyout isn't awful after 2025 or so either.

We need to stop acting like trochek was a mistake. It wasn’t, it was the right move then, and only in the exact unlikely situation we’re in now, where he hasn’t clicked with panarin and chytil simultaneously continued to break out, it could be a negative.

trochek remains fine, he’s performed fine, and can be easily moved if we need to move him. Best path here is to sign chytil to what we need to sign him to and figure out the rest later. 

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Trocheck may end up being a misfire, but as long as he puts up his 50 points or so, he's extremely tradeable. His contract isn't onerous for a number of teams, he's still a very functional player, and his buyout isn't awful after 2025 or so either.

They signed Trochek to that deal, knowing full well that in years 5-7, he would not likely be here as they’d be trading him.

Yeah, they’ll probably have to eat money and send an asset(s) out the door to do it, but it won’t matter then anyway. 

The song is similar with Goodrow too. 

1 minute ago, Valriera said:

We need to stop acting like trochek was a mistake. It wasn’t, it was the right move then, and only in the exact unlikely situation we’re in now, where he hasn’t clicked with panarin and chytil simultaneously continued to break out, it could be a negative.

trochek remains fine, he’s performed fine, and can be easily moved if we need to move him. Best path here is to sign chytil to what we need to sign him to and figure out the rest later. 

It’s a negative in terms of money and the cap.

Its not a negative if that guy becomes your 3C.

Trocheck is looks fine in that 3C role.

To me, I see a guy that may not fit with Panarin, but he sure as hell looked good last night with Kreider!!  

We tried forcing him to fit with Panarin...He doesn't!  Fine...Let's go the route of him, Kreider and Goodrow/Kravvy.  Looked pretty good last night.  Could be some magic there.

30 minutes ago, Valriera said:

He was a mistake because most folks saw a lack of chemistry and Chytil turning the corner before that contract was signed. 

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think they get him cheaper. Doubt he tops 4.5- 5 per.

4.8X 4. Should be an easy decision for both sides. 

Don’t see him under 5 if he pots 25-30 even strength goals and 50+ points on less than 15 min a night. Especially not with the cap projected to go up significantly in ‘24. Maybe a one year arbitration deal but what’s the point in doing that?

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Don’t see him under 5 if he pots 25-30 even strength goals and 50+ points on less than 15 min a night. Especially not with the cap projected to go up significantly in ‘24. Maybe a one year arbitration deal but what’s the point in doing that?

I was going to ask what is arbitration situation is, he's an RFA... He doesn't have much leverage. It's not like he has the team bent over a barrel where they need to keep him.

I mean obviously they would love to keep him, but the bottom line is if they can get a third line Center for less, who's an actual third line Center, there's a very real and clear path towards life without Chytil. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I was going to ask what is arbitration situation is, he's an RFA... He doesn't have much leverage. It's not like he has the team bent over a barrel where they need to keep him.

I mean obviously they would love to keep him, but the bottom line is if they can get a third line Center for less, who's an actual third line Center, there's a very real and clear path towards life without Chytil. 

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor 

52 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Something about one good season in a contract year, leads me to think he doesn't have much to stand on.

Trochek just got 5.6 for years of decent productivity. You really think Chytils one year where he puts it together lands him in that ballpark? I honestly don't. Potential and all. 

I don't think he or his agent are thinking that high at all. If anything they are looking for an extension right now, before he even reaches those potential numbers. 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Why do you say this with respect to a player with an NMC?

Players with NMC are moved all the time, especially ones that are playing good hockey. He can go to a decent market at his cap hit easily. At his price point trochek would need to be Sammy blais level of useless to be unmovable.

5 hours ago, Valriera said:

Players with NMC are moved all the time, especially ones that are playing good hockey. He can go to a decent market at his cap hit easily. At his price point trochek would need to be Sammy blais level of useless to be unmovable.

No, they aren't.  They are moved in limited circumstances that don't apply here.  Such as players in the last year of contracts with non-playoff teams, players that have had major falling outs with management and coaches, and players who are performing poorly.  You are not going to find players who are doing reasonably well with competitive teams and are in the first or second year of a seven year deal waiving their No Moves.  I don't think you can find a player in a situation similar to Trochek waiving it.  Players pay for these clauses.  Teams would gladly pay them more without them.

• Cheers 1

Its nothing to do with trochek...i like him and he could be good for us...but we always knew there were limited dollars to spend on chytil, kakko, miller, laf etc...and we actually had some rock solid evidence of chytils potential in the playoffs.. your going to have to take some risks to build the future of this team and why drury wouldnt have taken that risk on chytil i dont understand.

Trochek has been good. Just no chemistry with Panarin and therefore a forced, and incorrect deployment. 

And by the way, while I’m no particular fan of his, not entirely on the shoulders of GG.

You bring in that guy, the coach has to play them that way.

He probably stuck with it too long though.

But either way. 
While his contract is too long, he’s not overpaid.

Hes pacing for 23 goals and 60 points.

Thats with hitting about a 20 posts already.

Plus defensively responsible, good on PK, and 56.5% in faceoff circle. 

Stop riding him. 

At this point though, just play him on the 3rd line. He’s still going to get 18-20 minutes a night. 

They’re likely to make the trade for Kane.

I think after that the top-9 should be:

Panarin-Zib-Kane

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko 

Kreider-Trochek-Goodrow 

Add Vesey plus a 4th line forward at the deadline , plus a group of Gauthier, Lesch, Blais, and Brodzinski, and you are solid. 

Thats 14 deep. With no one truly out of place

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 4

And obviously in the meantime, you can play Vesey at RW on 3rd line and Goodrow as your 4C as needed. 

I think this conditioning assignment will help Blais. He’s playing in Hartford while their off for 10 days. 

Trochek and Kreider on paper make sense together.

And I’m not adverse to force feeding some minutes to Kravtsov at RW with Panarin and Zibanejad 

Edited by RangersIn7

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Trochek has been good. Just no chemistry with Panarin and therefore a forced, and incorrect deployment. 

And by the way, while I’m no particular fan of his, not entirely on the shoulders of GG.

You bring in that guy, the coach has to play them that way.

He probably stuck with it too long though.

But either way. 
While his contract is too long, he’s not overpaid.

Hes pacing for 23 goals and 60 points.

Thats with hitting about a 20 posts already.

Plus defensively responsible, good on PK, and 56.5% in faceoff circle. 

Stop riding him. 

At this point though, just play him on the 3rd line. He’s still going to get 18-20 minutes a night. 

They’re likely to make the trade for Kane.

I think after that the top-9 should be:

Panarin-Zib-Kane

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko 

Kreider-Trochek-Goodrow 

Add Vesey plus a 4th line forward at the deadline , plus a group of Gauthier, Lesch, Blais, and Brodzinski, and you are solid. 

Thats 14 deep. With no one truly out of place

These two things aren't exactly true, I know they get said a lot and assumed that it's the case, but the stats don't support it. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

These two things aren't exactly true, I know they get said a lot and assumed that it's the case, but the stats don't support it. 

What stats? I’m not disagreeing, but so far you’ve only brought up his +/-, which you know as well as anyone is a bs stat to measure someones defensive play.

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

It’s still better over the long haul than you’re gonna get from Strome, in those 2 areas. 
Plus he’s 10% better on face offs. Which is huge. They lacked it. They needed it. And end of day offensive output is equal or better.

Point is… yeah. You’re right.

Those 2 numbers right now, aren’t the case.

Cant play him with Panarin. Hasn’t worked.

But he’s still a very valuable, productive, and versatile piece. 

Just need the right deployment plus a couple pieces to upgrade/supplement. 

36 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

What stats? I’m not disagreeing, but so far you’ve only brought up his +/-, which you know as well as anyone is a bs stat to measure someones defensive play.

It's not a BS stat when used in context. He's only been a plus player 3 seasons out of 10. He's a team worst -7. Zib leads the way among forwards with +15, a net swwing of 22.

None of that would constitute a good defensive player.

Edited by Pete