• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

You want to give the equivalent of 4 1st round picks for 2-3 months of Kane along with a guy who looks washed and is worth pretty little in a trade right now. That’s just no bueno.

I also never said Kakko was bad, but I wouldn’t blame anyone for having that opinion. That being your takeaway from stuff I’ve said about him kind of just proves my point though that Rangers fans in general right now are incapable of critiquing young players who have been hyped up or drafted high. They get attached and so badly want to be contrarian to the “NY fans and media can’t be patient!” stigma, that it has to be optimism full of rainbows and butterflies all of the time. Critique is mischaracterized as hatred or dislike.

You're arguing yourself into a corner.

Nothing here response to my previous post about what those players are, and what we be moving them for, and the reasons why we'd be moving them. 

I don't care where the players were picked, we're 5 years into number 72 and 3 years into number 24.. at the point we be trading them they would have massively underperformed. That would be the entire impetus for trading them.

Fact of the matter is as a straight-up hockey trade, it makes complete sense for both teams. Try arguing the trade on merit, because you pretty much can't.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

You're arguing yourself into a corner.

Nothing here response to my previous post about what those players are, and what we be moving them for, and the reasons why we'd be moving them. 

I don't care where the players were picked, we're 5 years into number 72 and 3 years into number 24.. at the point we be trading them they would have massively underperformed. That would be the entire impetus for trading them.

Fact of the matter is as a straight-up hockey trade, it makes complete sense for both teams. Try arguing the trade on merit, because you pretty much can't.

The 4 1st rounder statement wasn’t based on where they were drafted. It’s current approximate value of each player, with possibly a slightly overvaluation on Lundkvist.

Do you have a couple examples of trades for pure rentals at the deadline that required such a return?

58 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The 4 1st rounder statement wasn’t based on where they were drafted. It’s current approximate value of each player, with possibly a slightly overvaluation on Lundkvist.

Do you have a couple examples of trades for pure rentals at the deadline that required such a return?

The whole narrative we hear often about players like that and how “their value drops” or “they won’t get much for him” is often bullshit. It comes from GM’s and the like who make those comments deliberately to the media to try and manipulate the market. 

What has happened with Lundkvist that has dropped his value exactly?

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Wait... So I'm clear... You think Chytil and Kakko are worth the return of a 1st?

I already said ... Look what it cost to get Copp. First, conditional, young roster player. 

I'd imagine Toews would require similar. Now adding Kane you need the additional pic, the additional roster player, and Nils.

34 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The whole narrative we hear often about players like that and how “their value drops” or “they won’t get much for him” is often bullshit. It comes from GM’s and the like who make those comments deliberately to the media to try and manipulate the market. 

What has happened with Lundkvist that has dropped his value exactly?

He didn’t stick in the NHL. Passed up by a kid a year and a half younger. Not overly productive on the stat sheet as an offensive defenseman in the AHL. These are the kinds of optics that might decrease trade value. He’s still a nice prospect, but maybe not that bluechip he was tabbed as going into last year.

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wait... So I'm clear... You think Chytil and Kakko are worth the return of a 1st?

I already said ... Look what it cost to get Copp. First, conditional, young roster player. 

I'd imagine Toews would require similar. Now adding Kane you need the additional pic, the additional roster player, and Nils.

Copp was a 2nd, a conditional 2nd, and a C-level prospect. The conditional on the 2nd was very unlikely to be triggered to be a 1st, so let’s not pretend Copp cost the equivalent of a 1st++ when the deal was made.

Not a good example or an answer to my question.

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Copp was a 2nd, a conditional 2nd, and a C-level prospect. The conditional on the 2nd was very unlikely to be triggered to be a 1st, so let’s not pretend Copp cost the equivalent of a 1st++ when the deal was made.

Not a good example or an answer to my question.

Stop it. 

I think the example is fine. So we'll agree to disagree. 

Realistically by the TDL, if Kakko and Chytil are moved, it's a 1st, two 3rd liners, and a prospect for Kane and Toews with retention. In no world is that overpayment.

35 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

He didn’t stick in the NHL. Passed up by a kid a year and a half younger. Not overly productive on the stat sheet as an offensive defenseman in the AHL. These are the kinds of optics that might decrease trade value. He’s still a nice prospect, but maybe not that bluechip he was tabbed as going into last year.

Yeah

I get it

Just don’t think when that happens to kids his age for 1st time in NA, it harms their value very much.

9 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah

I get it

Just don’t think when that happens to kids his age for 1st time in NA, it harms their value very much.

Maybe not. He is 22 now though. I’m not sure what happens to his value if he’s in the AHL all year next season though.

31 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Maybe not. He is 22 now though. I’m not sure what happens to his value if he’s in the AHL all year next season though.

It all depends how he does. If he’s stuck there, but playing well and there’s an obvious improvement, it probably helps his value. 

• 2 months later...

Frank Seravalli did his predictions for the season, and put this near the top of his list.

2. It’s Showtime on Broadway. Patrick Kane will be traded to the New York Rangers and sign a long-term extension. He’ll be reunited with Artemi Panarin to chase a fourth career Stanley Cup.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/32-bold-predictions-auston-matthews-to-sign-nhls-first-ever-max-contract/

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's probably the worst kept secret in the NHL that Kane is being traded to the Rangers.

It's just a matter of for who & when it happens.

More than likely it's at the deadline.

I’ve felt this way about two guys prior: Jagr and Nash. And that feeling was that it was more of when, not if, they were going to end up Rangers. It just makes a lot of sense for us, as a team ready to take the next step. And it makes a lot of sense for Kane, who is going to want to win and play on a big stage come playoff time.

Offseason and future contract is a whole different ball of wax. I personally don’t see how it works at all here long term. 

But, by the deadline, I’m at the point I anticipate Drury swinging trade for him.

Put me in with you guys.  I think it's a dunk shot Kane's coming here too.

Deadline deal....pretty much, just a matter of who, and what picks are going over the fence.

As far as an extension goes, I'm not sure how that's going to go...But a very magical playoff run may be in the offing!

4 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's probably the worst kept secret in the NHL that Kane is being traded to the Rangers.

It's just a matter of for who & when it happens.

More than likely it's at the deadline.

Lets see if Drury fucks this one up by giving a ton to Chicago

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Let's wait to see how Trocheck pans out here first. If he flops or gets hurt, all attention has to shift back to getting a center. Which means all assets will be dealt for such a player.  

Exactly it. If they get - and extend - Kane, Trocheck needs to be legit. Consistent and productive.