• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm sorry but WTF did I miss during the King's game today?  Why would Miller be getting suspended?  I wasn't able to watch the game today.  Just saw that they won 5-2 thank fucking goodness.

He spit at one of the Kings players. We don't really know if it was on purpose or not. In the past it's usually been a couple if games.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm sorry but WTF did I miss during the King's game today?  Why would Miller be getting suspended?  I wasn't able to watch the game today.  Just saw that they won 5-2 thank fucking goodness.

At least we now know who to blame. Get ‘em boys! 

Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I had an easier time trying to solve a fucking Rubix Cube, than understand this trade!!!  LOL

Honestly, this whole thing, the need for "banks" or "brokers" to retain salaries, the returns on Jeannot - these are screaming out loud that the cap is fundamentally stupid. Not that the owners will ever do it, but if it takes five goddamn picks to acquire Tanner Jeannot, if it takes this level of cap tinkering to save the 30k or whatever for Kane to come to Broadway, if it takes three teams to do standard TDL acquisitions, if the Oilers, Rangers, Knights, and others have played games with less than a full team because of the cap? It's time to evaluate the inflexible hard cap, because this kind of stupidity is damaging to the sport.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Honestly, this whole thing, the need for "banks" or "brokers" to retain salaries, the returns on Jeannot - these are screaming out loud that the cap is fundamentally stupid. Not that the owners will ever do it, but if it takes five goddamn picks to acquire Tanner Jeannot, if it takes this level of cap tinkering to save the 30k or whatever for Kane to come to Broadway, if it takes three teams to do standard TDL acquisitions, if the Oilers, Rangers, Knights, and others have played games with less than a full team because of the cap? It's time to evaluate the inflexible hard cap, because this kind of stupidity is damaging to the sport.

G-Man, I've hated this salary cap bullshit since they instituted it.  Years back, there you'd see players spend their whole careers with one team.  This whole situation to me SCREAMS of the salary cap not working properly.

Baseball uses a luxury tax...There must be some kind of spin the NHL could put on that to make it work better, because this system pretty much sucks.  We lose players like Buchnevich, and soon we may have to lose Lindgren or Kreider because of it.

I think it's to keep it "fair" for small market teams, so they can compete against big market teams.  I still think the system right now sucks!  Plain and simple!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I get the sentiment but disagree. The salary cap has kept the nhl incredibly

competitive. Would a luxury tax do the same? No it would be different. I dislike what has gone on more than most but I dint think the answer is to dismantle the cap. Could they close a few loopholes? Ya, they could, but I’d still rather have this than the nfl or whatever 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

G-Man, I've hated this salary cap bullshit since they instituted it.  Years back, there you'd see players spend their whole careers with one team.  This whole situation to me SCREAMS of the salary cap not working properly.

Baseball uses a luxury tax...There must be some kind of spin the NHL could put on that to make it work better, because this system pretty much sucks.  We lose players like Buchnevich, and soon we may have to lose Lindgren or Kreider because of it.

I think it's to keep it "fair" for small market teams, so they can compete against big market teams.  I still think the system right now sucks moose dick!  Plain and simple!

It's just a broken system when the cap doesn't move up, but the moves teams are making this season just to stay compliant is really punching some holes in the logic of it.

Look, the Rangers just did all of this to scrounge the 25k or whatever they need to be cap compliant when we acquire Kane on Wednesday:

• They traded a former 1st round pick (albeit a very broken asset at this point) for almost nothing to scrounge five days of "this guy isn't on our cap"
  • They waived a roster player (albeit a bad one) to scrounge five days of "this guy isn't on our cap"
  • They played one game with 11 forwards and 7 D because it would save a few grand.
  • They played one game with 10 forwards and 5 D because they couldn't afford to have Carpenter or Schenider get injured to make the paper transactions to scrounge the money.
  • Patrick Kane has ostensibly been a Ranger since before the Red Wings game. They can't make the trade until the cap accrues enough from those four moves, which means that Patrick Kane will have missed 3-4 games for us.

Not to mention that any big trade seems to require a broker to eat salary, 2/3 of the teams in the NHL are taking advantage of some kind of LTIR exception to maintain cap compliance, and Jeannot just fetched six pieces including five draft picks almost exclusively for team control reasons. Who knows what I'm forgetting here.

Meanwhile, the Coyotes can ice a roster that gets paid a total of $48m, and because of nearly $12 million in LTIR-insured deals, they're compliant? 

It feels like a joke. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 3

The hard cap is/was fine if the cap would go up every year, but since it has stayed pretty much flat for just about 3 seasons now, it has shown its issues with it.  Teams that have built their team for future years expecting the cap to go up are getting squeezed which is bad for the league.

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1