• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Yeah, Chris Johnston was on the Dangle podcast last week talking about it and said Buffalo just needs to embrace the rebuild they're already selling (they traded Reinhart and Ristolainen), rip the band-aid off, and sell him for something respectable. Said they are in this weird treading water realm where they're not presenting their fans with a clear plan — be it an intent to contend or an intent to rebuild to contend.

I can't blame them for wanting the most possible, but there's a clock loudly ticking on this, and they've missed, arguably, their two best windows to move him — the draft, and just before free agency. Now, a bunch of teams they could have negotiated with, are effectively a hard out because they spent dollars elsewhere, refusing to wait for the Sabres. Who is legitimately left to deal him to if not the Rangers?

Yeah, Chris Johnston was on the Dangle podcast last week talking about it and said Buffalo just needs to embrace the rebuild they're already selling (they traded Reinhart and Ristolainen), rip the band-aid off, and sell him for something respectable. Said they are in this weird treading water realm where they're not presenting their fans with a clear plan — be it an intent to contend or an intent to rebuild to contend.

I can't blame them for wanting the most possible, but there's a clock loudly ticking on this, and they've missed, arguably, their two best windows to move him — the draft, and just before free agency. Now, a bunch of teams they could have negotiated with, are effectively a hard out because they spent dollars elsewhere, refusing to wait for the Sabres. Who is legitimately left to deal him to if not the Rangers?

Yeah I saw that too. And Vince was saying something about how the Rangers offer would likely decrease after Eichel's agent sent out the letter - making it clear Jack's not going back there.

I think Larry's idea that Kakko could go the other way is so off base at this point considering the circumstances. Like, Buffalo isn't getting shit. They didn't move him at the beginning of the season (which was likely their best chance considering he wasn't hurt). The next two windows have closed. And now there's one final deadline: training camp. Jack cannot be there for camp - and he probably can't be there for another team's camp the longer the Sabres wait - which decrease offers even further.

It remains to be seen how this plays out but people were worried about Adams taking control of this situation as a rookie GM, and it looks like their worst fears have come true.

Yeah, CJ said he thinks the next 'window' is going to be right at camp. I just don't see how/why. Especially the Rangers. You're gearing up for the season by moving NHL bodies (however many) for a guy who isn't likely to play his first game before late November or early December? That's a significant risk on the year for a team with playoff aspirations.

Yeah I saw that too. And Vince was saying something about how the Rangers offer would likely decrease after Eichel's agent sent out the letter - making it clear Jack's not going back there.

I think Larry's idea that Kakko could go the other way is so off base at this point considering the circumstances. Like, Buffalo isn't getting shit. They didn't move him at the beginning of the season (which was likely their best chance considering he wasn't hurt). The next two windows have closed. And now there's one final deadline: training camp. Jack cannot be there for camp - and he probably can't be there for another team's camp the longer the Sabres wait - which decrease offers even further.

It remains to be seen how this plays out but people were worried about Adams taking control of this situation as a rookie GM, and it looks like their worst fears have come true.

It's a prime example for "if you are moving a player, move him". He should have been dealt last offseason. You don't risk injury on a guy worth as much as Jack Eichel. Adams bungled this to the nth degree.

Yeah, CJ said he thinks the next 'window' is going to be right at camp. I just don't see how/why. Especially the Rangers. You're gearing up for the season by moving NHL bodies (however many) for a guy who isn't likely to play his first game before late November or early December? That's a significant risk on the year for a team with playoff aspirations.

I don't agree at all that camp is the next window. The next window is either 1) after he's back healthy post-surgery, or 2) next offseason before his big signing bonus and NMC kick in. Whichever happens first.

At this point, I think we’re past the windows. One was the deadline, and when that didn’t happen, the talk was how it surely would go down at the draft. That didn’t happen, and then the talk was the free agency period opening. That didn’t happen.

If, and at this point this has to be clarified as an if because Buffalo is proving to be bordering on psychopathic, a deal every materializes, it is going to come on a day out of absolutely no where, where there’s no smoke, no speculation, no rumors. It’ll just happen and that’ll be that.

I don't agree at all that camp is the next window. The next window is either 1) after he's back healthy post-surgery, or 2) next offseason before his big signing bonus and NMC kick in. Whichever happens first.

Agreed. I don't underneath why any team that isn't a lottery club would even entertain the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nailed it.

THIS. Walk away, Drury.

Run away would be an even better option.

Wouldn't ever touch this guy until he proves his neck is "fixed" and he can play and show durability for more than a handful of games. Rght now imo the window to acquire him is nailed shut until he proves otherwise (with his health). He's been resting for how many months already and still feels he needs it to be repaired.

I’m not in the camp where I say I’d never touch the guy with a 10 foot pole. That’s going overboard. Let’s not forget we are talking about a 24 year old, in-his-prime legit superstar in this league. If the time comes where we do end up getting him, provided he’s healthy, we will be getting a legit No. 1 center who can easily become a consistent 40-50 goal guy if he plays with someone like Panarin.

It’s a very tricky spot.

• Like 1

I’m not in the camp where I say I’d never touch the guy with a 10 foot pole. That’s going overboard. Let’s not forget we are talking about a 24 year old, in-his-prime legit superstar in this league. If the time comes where we do end up getting him, provided he’s healthy, we will be getting a legit No. 1 center who can easily become a consistent 40-50 goal guy if he plays with someone like Panarin.

It’s a very tricky spot.

Even if he’s not healthy immediately, his injury isn’t career threatening. He’s still instantly the best center on the team and still one of the top centers in the league. Anyone saying we just flat out a shouldn’t get him isn’t really understanding what’s happening.

Listen to the interview with the surgeon Jack wants to get the surgery through. He's performed it literally over a thousand times. Including on professional athletes like Chris Wideman (UFC) and other pro sports players. Even hockey players. Just never an NHL hockey player. The argument that "this has never been done on a pro hockey player before," while accurate, appears to be much more fear-mongering than realistic fear.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

Chris Wideman is 2-5 since the surgery, getting knocked out 4 times and breaking his leg the 5th.

Even if he’s not healthy immediately, his injury isn’t career threatening. He’s still instantly the best center on the team and still one of the top centers in the league. Anyone saying we just flat out a shouldn’t get him isn’t really understanding what’s happening.

Yeah I just don't get the injury out here. This is not a career threatening injury at all. It's not like this is concussion history territory, or anywhere even close to it.

The cap arguments are completely valid but I don't see the health one.

Yeah I just don't get the injury out here. This is not a career threatening injury at all. It's not like this is concussion history territory, or anywhere even close to it.

The cap arguments are completely valid but I don't see the health one.

The injury is THE major issue, here. Healthy Eichel, I’m trading Kakko. Easy.

Th injury is so bad, they haven’t been able to settle on a treatment for 8 months!

This isn’t a broken wrist and he’ll be back to normal in 2 months. He’ll never return to normal. Next season is completely shot. The following season, who knows.

Those are important years for this team.

I think that’s kind of the point everyone is missing.

This is not the type of injury that ends careers or even shaves the top end of his ability off.

I don't know what to tell you man, it's a herniated disc, it's a non serious injury. If it was career threatening, we wouldn't be considering trading for him. Do you think the Sabres are hiding his injury status and that we'd acquire him without a physical?

I think that’s kind of the point everyone is missing.

This is not the type of injury that ends careers or even shaves the top end of his ability off.

Missed the last 33 regular season games (herniated disc).

Point being it's not a knee or other body part it's head and neck and they've yet to fix it after all this time. I live with both having neck surgery and a brain related injury from the same accident. Anybody down playing the neck portion is missing the boat here. Until he proves otherwise they would be crazy to give up major assets for him to . If his plan is so safe and puts him back on him back on the ice in 6 weeks why has it never been done before or am I missing the list of NHL players that have gone through it?

Point being it's not a knee or other body part it's head and neck and they've yet to fix it after all this time. I live with both having neck surgery and a brain related injury from the same accident. Anybody down playing the neck portion is missing the boat here. Until he proves otherwise they would be crazy to give up major assets for him to . If his plan is so safe and puts him back on him back on the ice in 6 weeks why has it never been done before or am I missing the list of NHL players that have gone through it?

I’m in no way downplaying it nor the course of treatment nor the potential severity of it.

Just saying the medical people that have spoken about this injury/surgery publicly have given a positive prognosis.

Also, this is not a new thing.

This surgery has been around for 20 years+ in the US and Canada, and an additional 10 years in Europe and the UK.

For what it’s worth, and obviously he’s not a pro hockey player, but a friend of a friend of mine had the surgery about 8-9 years ago and he works a very physical job and is an active guy who lists mountaineering as a hobby, and has no ill effects.

Obviously it’s a concern.

But the delay hasn’t been due to the injuries severity.

It’s been due to the disagreement regarding the surgical option.