• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Then you trade Lundkvist because you have Fox and can't trade Trouba. Schneider plays a style none of our other D do.

I also agree Buffalo should retain as it's the Rangers taking all the risk if Eichel isn't the same or gets hurt again.

I’m fine with trading either honestly for Eichel.

He’s the type of player you trade top prospect(s) for.

I don’t see a way where they trade Kakko

I look at the roster.

I see 4 guys with NMC’s in Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider who aren’t moving

I see 4 true untouchables in LaFreniere, Kakko, Fox, and Igor who aren’t going anywhere.

Then there’s a group that consisted of Buch, Lindgren, Miller, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist and Schneider that they don’t want to trade, but may have to for varying reasons.

Buch is gone.

They’d part company with others for the right price. But they aren’t necessarily looking to.

Says who? They’re rebuilding and will have plenty of cap space for years. I don’t see why they wouldn’t for the right assets in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To this point, not only has Buffalo seemed delusional, they don’t seem to be wanting to do any favors.

Again, it’s very obvious we’re going to have to pay some sort of a tax to have him come here. Of all the suitors, this is the last place Adams wants him landing. He isn’t going to do much to help the process. That fanbase and that organization view us as rivals.

I’m not saying in the end he won’t eat some money. But to think Buffalo will eat 50% of that contract to help get Eichel to the Rangers is just living in fantasy land IMO. There is no way they’ll eat 50% and send him here.

The fact that Buffalo has let this spiral to this extent is embarrassing. The offers they’ve received (per reports) have been fair offers. The fact that there remains such a large gap goes to show you where their heads are. The simple fact of the matter is that unfortunately, when stars like Eichel want out and ultimately get traded, it’s never for quite what the original ask is. The original ask is always through the roof. It’s been referenced here several times back in 2012 how high Howson’s price was originally for Nash. It was always going to include Dubinsky just because of the money, but then you heard names like Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto and Kreider. At the time, the Rangers were cruising and didn’t “need” Nash (or so we thought; he would have been a big help in that Devils series but shit man, we’ll get to that another day!). And the talks went back and forth for months with Howson still demanding a ton. And then it shrunk, and shrunk. And eventually, a deal was struck. Because he knew he was losing grip of the talks and had no leverage.

Adams is in a similar spot. There aren’t a lot of options; Eichel has his injury concern, a huge cap hit and is a year away from dictating where he wants to go. But there just aren’t a lot of takers for a variety of reasons. He’s been offered fair deals, and turned them all down. And as far as we know, he hasn’t hit the point Howson did where reality starts to set in. That process with Nash seemed like eternity and it was 5 months. This is going on longer than that even did. And at this point, there really seems to be no end in sight. It’s gotten personal, and Buffalo seems stung here. You have to remember this was supposed to be their savior, and it just hasn’t worked (though that is no fault of Eichel). I think Adams knows if he blinks here and takes a subpar deal in the eyes of the fans, he loses a lot of credibility. And a lot of their trust. So because of that, as much as I’ve gone back and forth about this potential deal before, I just don’t see it happening.

Says who? They’re rebuilding and will have plenty of cap space for years. I don’t see why they wouldn’t for the right assets in return.

Because money is a real thing, and it's not an unlimited resource.

They can use retention and cap space as a bit of a weapon in a rebuild. No doubt of that.

But they can’t be foolish and play fast and loose with it.

You can’t eat 50% on $50 million for 5 years.

That’s foolish.

If you can get them to eat $8-10, maybe even $12 million, you’ve done well, and you probably don’t have to trade Kakko to boot.

And in doing so, Buffalo would do better the return.

Probably would get them one of Schneider or Lundkvist.

To this point, not only has Buffalo seemed delusional, they don’t seem to be wanting to do any favors.

Again, it’s very obvious we’re going to have to pay some sort of a tax to have him come here. Of all the suitors, this is the last place Adams wants him landing. He isn’t going to do much to help the process. That fanbase and that organization view us as rivals.

I’m not saying in the end he won’t eat some money. But to think Buffalo will eat 50% of that contract to help get Eichel to the Rangers is just living in fantasy land IMO. There is no way they’ll eat 50% and send him here.

Agreed.

There’s nowhere they’d send him and eat 50%.

They’d have to receive a package that they’d never conceivably receive.

They can use retention and cap space as a bit of a weapon in a rebuild. No doubt of that.

But they can’t be foolish and play fast and loose with it.

You can’t eat 50% on $50 million for 5 years.

That’s foolish.

If you can get them to eat $8-10, maybe even $12 million, you’ve done well, and you probably don’t have to trade Kakko to boot.

And in doing so, Buffalo would do better the return.

Probably would get them one of Schneider or Lundkvist.

I think the Rangers would need Eichel down to around 6.5-7.5M if they wanted to keep Zibanejad as well. They'd need to get a 3rd team involved willing to eat some salary for a price.

I just find it hard to believe the Sabres will want to retain any money whatsoever, and that they'd be okay cutting a check to Jack Eichel for 5 years after this whole ordeal.

I think the Rangers would need Eichel down to around 6.5-7.5M if they wanted to keep Zibanejad as well. They'd need to get a 3rd team involved willing to eat some salary for a price.

I just find it hard to believe the Sabres will want to retain any money whatsoever, and that they'd be okay cutting a check to Jack Eichel for 5 years after this whole ordeal.

If we are talking about keeping Zib, then yes.

I’d agree they’d need to get the Sabres to retain 25%, perhaps more.

I think though that they are extremely unlikely to go above 25%.

As far as their unwillingness retain, this is why the NHL is a stupid league filled with stupid GM’s.

Trading Eichel is them once again pushing the reset button on their perpetual rebuild.

Eat some money in him and up your return.

Pair those prospects and picks with your existing, highly-drafted guys like Dahlin and Power, plus the high draft picks they’re likely to get on their own over the next several seasons and build with that.

By the time it matters and you’re potentially a contender again, you won’t be paying Eichel anymore or close to it.

If we are talking about keeping Zib, then yes.

I’d agree they’d need to get the Sabres to retain 25%, perhaps more.

I think though that they are extremely unlikely to go above 25%.

As far as their unwillingness retain, this is why the NHL is a stupid league filled with stupid GM’s.

Trading Eichel is them once again pushing the reset button on their perpetual rebuild.

Eat some money in him and up your return.

Pair those prospects and picks with your existing, highly-drafted guys like Dahlin and Power, plus the high draft picks they’re likely to get on their own over the next several seasons and build with that.

By the time it matters and you’re potentially a contender again, you won’t be paying Eichel anymore or close to it.

I don't disagree. I just think this thing has gotten pretty personal between Adams and Eichel, and the Pegulas and Eichel. They might be okay taking a lesser package rather than sending money directly to Eichel for 5 years.

I don't disagree. I just think this thing has gotten pretty personal between Adams and Eichel, and the Pegulas and Eichel. They might be okay taking a lesser package rather than sending money directly to Eichel for 5 years.

If that’s the case, then they’re letting their emotions get the better of them.

They still have to try to build a winning hockey team down the road at some point.

Presumably, the best pieces they’re going to get to do that with are coming from the top of the draft, and as a return from any star player they’d be trading.

If it makes them get a better return, eat money.

Fuck it.

Don’t take less for pride’s sake.

Regardless of anything that happens, it’s extremely unlikely they come within a country mile of a Cup over the next 5 years. So who cares if they’re paying Eichel something to play for someone else.

Now, that said, I don’t think they should eat more than 25% unless the offer is astronomical.

There’s a limit.

Not about cap, it’s about actual money. And that’s a lot for a small franchise to pay to trade away their superstar player

Exactly. Doing so would destroy them even more financially. They'd be drawing less fans than they already are, would have no marketable player AND be paying half his salary?

Nope.

Eichel is back training and skating, but still needs the surgery?

No.

I’m out.

Yes, but if it's the disc replacement that he wants, it's six weeks no contact, and 8 weeks to full contact per the surgeon (31 Thoughts interviewed him). If it's fusion, it's three months, minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just amazing. Buffalo wants a premium for a player who needs surgery and very possibly could miss training camp and the beginning of the season with his new team. And that team also will be taking on a $10 Million dollar cap hit.

If there is a drug that is potent enough to get on to Kevyn Adams level as soon as possible, I’d love to try it.

If that surgery is so scary for a team to the point that Buffalo won't let him get it, yet everyone knows he's eventually going to get it anyway once he's finally traded, then he really has no trade value whatsoever. He is going to get dealt for scraps eventually.

Listen to the interview with the surgeon Jack wants to get the surgery through. He's performed it literally over a thousand times. Including on professional athletes like Chris Wideman (UFC) and other pro sports players. Even hockey players. Just never an NHL hockey player. The argument that "this has never been done on a pro hockey player before," while accurate, appears to be much more fear-mongering than realistic fear.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

Listen to the interview with the surgeon Jack wants to get the surgery through. He's performed it literally over a thousand times. Including on professional athletes like Chris Wideman (UFC) and other pro sports players. Even hockey players. Just never an NHL hockey player. The argument that "this has never been done on a pro hockey player before," while accurate, appears to be much more fear-mongering than realistic fear.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

Yeah, I don't doubt that, but it's still a risk. My point is that the Sabres are contradicting themselves. They are saying the surgery is too scary and he can't get it, but then they are also expecting him to have trade value, knowing that surgery is coming. They need to either trade him for crap or let him get the surgery and then trade him. His value will be restored after recovery. Their whole approach is why nothing has happened. It makes no sense.