• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Strome*, Jones, 1st, prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, it's Chytil. The Sabres will want team control and Chytil feels like the obvious round peg in the square hole here.

Strome will be dealt separately for futures.

They’re going to be rebuilding for years. And they have plenty of cap space, why wouldn’t they retain a few million of eichel s cap hit?

If I’m drury and being offered eichel at 6 or 7 mil I def up my offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re going to be rebuilding for years. And they have plenty of cap space, why wouldn’t they retain a few million of eichel s cap hit?

If I’m drury and being offered eichel at 6 or 7 mil I def up my offer.

I'm glad to throw them another 1st and another piece if they're willing to hold significant cap. Vancouver set the market on this one as a 1st being worth around 10 million in cap (Ekman Larsson); if Buffalo holds back 2m, I give them an extra 1st no questions asked.

I'm glad to throw them another 1st and another piece if they're willing to hold significant cap. Vancouver set the market on this one as a 1st being worth around 10 million in cap (Ekman Larsson); if Buffalo holds back 2m, I give them an extra 1st no questions asked.

Yea but you’re a better gm than kevyn adams. Guy can’t even spell his name correctly.

Exactly this.

Do it at you price point, or a small price increase you're comfortable with or don't at all. It's no skin off the Rangers' backs either way.

The fact that this is sooooo similar to Nash is crazy. But while we don’t know the exact price point the Sabres are asking for the rumored pieces they want back arent really that bad - which makes me feel like this will end up happening - and the Rangers have never had a 1-2 punch at center like Eichel and Mika (even if it’s only for a season).

That said, assuming that the sticking point in the deal is Lundkvist and not Kakko or Lafreniere, I think it would be poor asset management to NOT get Eichel. Hes cost controlled for 5 more years. About to hit his prime. And he opens the door to a backup plan should Mika actually want 10m. If you don’t get Eichel, the rangers could feel obligated to bow to mikas demands simply because there is no alternative. And to me, the worst case scenario is losing Strome next year and being saddled with a 10m cap hit on a 29/30 year old player.

At this point, I think the writing for the deal is on the wall. It's Chytil, Jones, 1st, (mid-range piece).

The Kings are out given the Danault signing. The Knights are capped out - may or may not matter. The Wild are basically built once they've signed Kaprizov and Fiala. We're all that's left.

The one wildcard here - and I do think this might matter - is that once the Sabres deal Eichel, they're going to be something like 15M (pending the return) under the cap floor. And their RFA group won't make that.

this is why Vegas is still in play, they can deal Smith/Reaves/BUF retain

1st for 2 mil retention? That’s pretty steep.

I would do 1st for 3.5m

Playing around on capfriendly, not seeing how they can get Eichel and not lose Zibanejad (unless he’s signing for $6m

Especially if Kakko and Krav break out. You’re talking about moving Trouba and Kreider (two players who just signed NMCs)

Strome helps with offsetting the cap issue.

Rangers don’t have cap issues next season, it’s the following season, so moving Strome doesn’t alleviate that issue

The fact that this is sooooo similar to Nash is crazy. But while we don’t know the exact price point the Sabres are asking for the rumored pieces they want back arent really that bad - which makes me feel like this will end up happening - and the Rangers have never had a 1-2 punch at center like Eichel and Mika (even if it’s only for a season).

That said, assuming that the sticking point in the deal is Lundkvist and not Kakko or Lafreniere, I think it would be poor asset management to NOT get Eichel. Hes cost controlled for 5 more years. About to hit his prime. And he opens the door to a backup plan should Mika actually want 10m. If you don’t get Eichel, the rangers could feel obligated to bow to mikas demands simply because there is no alternative. And to me, the worst case scenario is losing Strome next year and being saddled with a 10m cap hit on a 29/30 year old player.

Eichel is cost controlled only in that you know he's being paid fair market value for the remainder of his contract. That term is typically used for younger players where you're likely getting more value than their contract.

We don't know what the sticking point is. The Sabres ask may be something like Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and a 1st. Do you pay that? I don't.

Especially if Kakko and Krav break out. You’re talking about moving Trouba and Kreider (two players who just signed NMCs)

I went 4m for Kakko 2.6 for Kravtsov. I would have thought those might be a bit high, but not after recent signings.

I’m at 85, need a 4th liner, 13th forward and a backup goalie.

And no one coming off the books for Lafreniere and Miller to re-sign

I would do 1st for 3.5m

That's the market, over the term of a deal. We can haggle around, but it's basically "buying" a 2023 1st for 10 million dollars on a payment plan. If you can get them to pay 12 million for the pick, or what have you? Awesome.

It’s for multiple years.

$2m in cap is $10m over the course of the contract (this is buffalo, not Montreal)

I see what your saying. I just think with cap not going up for next few years, picks became more valuable. Especially when next years draft is being very deep.

I would do 1st for 3.5m

I’d throw in a wealth of picks and another prospect to get that kind of retention here. It’s true Buffalo will be rebuilding for a long time and it helps then get way more out of dealing eichel and getting them to the cap floor. Hope this happens.