• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Ok, so why would there be a disagreement about a minor procedure on Eichels neck "inconvenience"?

I think to answer that you'd have to ask the Sabres

Hockey people tend to not like change, and if the conventional wisdom has always been the fusion surgery, then maybe they are being stubborn and not adapting to changes

Or, it's maliscious. They're upset at Eichel for wanting out and they are holding up his potential surgery to delay when he can play for a new team.

End of the day, I have a hard time believing they are putting the player's best interests first, short and long term.

1. at this point what does Buffalo gain by continuing to deny Eichel his surgery? with the recovery timeline now pushing into next season and impacting any trade possibilities, how are they not fucking up their return? let alone the optics for an organization that has a dumpster fire reputation and already can’t attract talent.

2. what happens if Eichel just goes and gets the surgery on his own. a fine?

That’s been a wonder of mine all along: if Eichel went ahead and did what he wanted to do for this injury, what is the worst Buffalo could do? Void his contract? I think at this point he’d be okay with that. It’s not like he’s kissing money goodbye; if they ever did that and hit the open market, he’d make similar money.

That’s been a wonder of mine all along: if Eichel went ahead and did what he wanted to do for this injury, what is the worst Buffalo could do? Void his contract? I think at this point he’d be okay with that. It’s not like he’s kissing money goodbye; if they ever did that and hit the open market, he’d make similar money.

I doubt he wants to risk it. May not be covered, he may have to pay, plus if something goes wrong, and they can void the contract. Hell, in these days, they could probably sue him.

• Like 1

The fact that Eichel doesn't just go get the surgery he wants should tell everyone that it is not risk free. The risk for Eichel is a voided contract and an unsuccessful surgery leaving him with no money and unable to play.

No matter what the surgery is, or how routine it might be for the surgeon, imagine an accidental nick that prevents you from playing again. That's a lot of risk when you have 50 mill guaranteed your way.

There’s a risk with any surgical procedure

It’s part of it

There’s a risk with any surgical procedure

It’s part of it

True.

I would say head and neck carry a much higher risk rather than an arm/leg/dental work. They're simply not in the same risk category.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's such a strange situation.

From what I can gather, Eichel wanted the surgery immediately, whereas the Sabres medical team and a second opinion recommended rest and rehab. This appears to be the preferred treatment of herniated discs in the NHL. I'm not sure why that is preferred to surgery, but it clearly is.

As per the CBA, Eichel had no choice but to go the route the team wanted. Now, clearly, rest and rehab hasn't had the desired effect, given that he still wants the surgery. According to Eichels camp, the Sabres medical department initially agreed that surgery was now required. For whatever reason, they no longer do. The Sabres have denied this apparently and wants to continue with more rest and conservative rehab.

In short, the mind fucking boggles. It's really hard to know what to think. Instinctively, the fact that the preferred and common treatment hasn't worked as intended seems to be a bit of a worry. And trading prime assets for a guy with what appears to be a lingering neck issue is pretty uncomfortable. At the same time, I've seen more than one expert say it's no big deal and that the surgery is fairly straight forward. In summary, I have no idea what to think.

The fact that Eichel doesn't just go get the surgery he wants should tell everyone that it is not risk free. The risk for Eichel is a voided contract and an unsuccessful surgery leaving him with no money and unable to play.

I don't know how anyone views a 25 year old with disc injuries as anything but a problem in the future.

You really should listen to the interview from the doctor who he wants to perform the surgery, who has performed it on professional athletes, and in general over a thousand times. He does a fantastic job of explaining why Buffalo's "this has never been done on an NHL player before" mentality is almost certainly a negotiation tactic, albeit not a very effective one, as well as more fear-mongering than legitimate fear.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

• Like 1

It's such a strange situation.

From what I can gather, Eichel wanted the surgery immediately, whereas the Sabres medical team and a second opinion recommended rest and rehab. This appears to be the preferred treatment of herniated discs in the NHL. I'm not sure why that is preferred to surgery, but it clearly is.

As per the CBA, Eichel had no choice but to go the route the team wanted. Now, clearly, rest and rehab hasn't had the desired effect, given that he still wants the surgery. According to Eichels camp, the Sabres medical department initially agreed that surgery was now required. For whatever reason, they no longer do. The Sabres have denied this apparently and wants to continue with more rest and conservative rehab.

In short, the mind fucking boggles. It's really hard to know what to think. Instinctively, the fact that the preferred and common treatment hasn't worked as intended seems to be a bit of a worry. And trading prime assets for a guy with what appears to be a lingering neck issue is pretty uncomfortable. At the same time, I've seen more than one expert say it's no big deal and that the surgery is fairly straight forward. In summary, I have no idea what to think.

Given that he's still symptomatic, per the doctor he wishes to perform the surgery, who, as a result, would suggest Eichel get the surgery.

You should also listen to the podcast interview with the doctor. It's extremely informative and straight from the mouth of a medical professional — not beat writers, journalists, or front office members with axes to grind.

You really should listen to the interview from the doctor who he wants to perform the surgery, who has performed it on professional athletes, and in general over a thousand times. He does a fantastic job of explaining why Buffalo's "this has never been done on an NHL player before" mentality is almost certainly a negotiation tactic, albeit not a very effective one, as more fear-mongering than legitimate fear.

I don't really get how it's a negotiation tactic. It's driving down the price. It's making Eichel seem like damaged goods when he's not.

I don't really get how it's a negotiation tactic. It's driving down the price. It's making Eichel seem like damaged goods when he's not.

The reason it might drive the price up is that, a team making this deal wants him getting that surgery ASAP. If he gets it today, he's either ready for the start of camp or a little bit late to camp.

If the team trading him wants him ready for camp, they should pony up now.

Of course, this WILL backfire and his value drops even more once it gets closer to camp and he's not had the surgery. You are paying for a guy who is gonna miss a ton of the start of the season and be playing catchup when he gets back. I think at some point, I say too late, no deal. Cant go into camp still wondering who is gonna be on the team

The reason it might drive the price up is that, a team making this deal wants him getting that surgery ASAP. If he gets it today, he's either ready for the start of camp or a little bit late to camp.

Of course, this WILL backfire and his value drops even more once it gets closer to camp and he's not had the surgery. You are paying for a guy who is gonna miss a ton of the start of the season and be playing catchup when he gets back. I think at some point, I say too late, no deal. Cant go into camp still wondering who is gonna be on the team

Agreed. I could easily see Eichel, angrily, having to return to the team, probably having the captaincy stripped from him as punishment, and slogging through most of this season, if not all of it, before the pressure gets explosive next off-season with his NMC looming. It'll really put a clock on Adams' head to move him.

Realistically, if the Rangers don't get Eichel, it doesn't matter. They still have a +PPG 1C, a 70pt 2C, and Chytil as a 3C who showed serious signs of growth last year before his injury (also Goodrow can fill that role if necessary). It's not like they have a hole. The way I see it, any upgrade at center is just icing on the cake, more than a need.

Realistically, if the Rangers don't get Eichel, it doesn't matter. They still have a +PPG 1C, a 70pt 2C, and Chytil as a 3C who showed serious signs of growth last year before his injury (also Goodrow can fill that role if necessary). It's not like they have a hole. The way I see it, any upgrade at center is just icing on the cake, more than a need.

Yup. The only real "fear" here is if you believe Zibanejad isn't long for the team, but that feels like it isn't rooted in reality. We have no real reason to believe it.

agreed. even not looking great after the injury, Chytil still quietly had a .5ppg season. I think he can end up usurping Strome as the 2C.

Eichel is great. I would love to have him on this team. But he's not worth blowing up the roster for. And if we start getting close to camp and a move hasn't been made than we can punt to the trade deadline/next offseason when Buffalo has even less leverage

The Sabres organization is in absolute shambles. The Pegulas might be the spawn of Satan if you are a Buffalo sports fan.

THey have mismanaged the Eichel scenario from day 1. Adams is at the point where he needs to decide if saving face is more important than getting the best deal possible before camp. Ego and pride can be a real bitch.

You really should listen to the interview from the doctor who he wants to perform the surgery, who has performed it on professional athletes, and in general over a thousand times. He does a fantastic job of explaining why Buffalo's "this has never been done on an NHL player before" mentality is almost certainly a negotiation tactic, albeit not a very effective one, as well as more fear-mongering than legitimate fear.

Phil, how many times did you send your bank info to a Nigeria prince?

I'm at the point where I really think we're better served starting to ask about Hertl, Dvorak, William Karlsson - a few guys a tier or two down from Eichel that make more sense and aren't in a huge game of dickchicken. If we're going to make a move like this, Eichel isn't the only game in town and it's high time Drury reminds Adams that's the case.