• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

You really think Buffalo will have a higher pick than Rangers the next 3 years? Especially if they give us Eichel.

If that was to be the case, we're fucked lol

Yeah, not really sure where my head was at here, lol. I don't think this makes much sense.

Hayes is a little better actual scorer but Strome is a much better fit and smarter player. I’d take Strome anyway and he’s actually a tad younger too

Hayes always struck me as a lazy player.....especially defensively. He's great around the net and has good hands, but he lacks that explosive first step and looks uninterested out there at times. Kinda like he just puffed 1/2 a bowl of the good stuff. :slats:

Hayes is a little better actual scorer but Strome is a much better fit and smarter player. I’d take Strome anyway and he’s actually a tad younger too

I despise Kevin Hayes. I'd rather have no center at all over Kevin Hayes. But I am happy that Strome is better, cheaper, and younger.

I meant goals. I believe Hayes has a 25 or so goal season in him. Don't think Strome ever cracked 20
Correct. But Strome is actually on pace for about 29 pots this year - if it was a full season, Hayes for 27. Just sayin' that Strome is making that generalization a little less clear cut this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So, when I don't value my time as highly as I ought to, I am prone to crawl down rabbit holes like this. When I saw the Hayes comparison, I wanted to check out how Strome is matching up with 2Cs around the league. https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ stacks up lines in pretty close to real time and provides the overall https://www.corsicahockey.com/ player ratings, so it accounts for defense and driving play at some level. So I tried to track down who is the de facto 2C for each team and tried to adjust for non-long term injuries. There are some anomalies like why is William Karlson centering the 2nd line for VGK when he is clearly the best C on the team, but few are that pronounced.

So, according to the player ratings, Strome is at the middle of the pack (15). The scores range from 68.8 (Kampf, CHI) to 79.7(Malkin). It is interesting to note that there is a cluster of 10 within a point above and below Strome - 9 of them directly above him. So, while Hayes is above him, it's by less than a point. Cirelli is tied with Strome and Pierre-Luc Dubois is a tenth of a point ahead, meaning that some of the players for which there has been much tumescence around here at times are directly on Strome's level.

It is even more interesting that Strome is 3rd among NHL 2Cs in point production this season and tied for 3rd in points per game with Ryan O'Reilly. That's ahead of guys like Tavares and Malkin - on teams that effectively have 2 1Cs - and well ahead of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Hayes, and some others who have been pined for over Strome at one time or another. Didn't put goals scored in, but he's tied for 4th at 2 goals off the pace. Not saying that this kind of performance is a lock to continue, but it is important to recognize that we are getting a very high value season out of Strome.

PLAYER Corsica rtg. Point production

Ryan Strome*(NYR) * * * * * * * *74.5 (30p, 0.94ppg )

Jack Hughes* (NJD) * * * * * * * 70.0 (16p, 0.52ppg)

Brock Nelson*(NYI) * * * * * * * * 74.1 (19p, 0.56ppg)

Kevin Hayes* (PHI) * * * * * * * * 75.4 (23p, 0.72ppg)

David Krejci* *(BOS) * * * * * * * *73.9 (17p, 0.68 ppg)

Niklas Backstrom* (WAS) * * * * 74.8 (34p, 1.06ppg)

Dylan Cozens* (BUF) * * * * * * * N/R (6p, 0.26 ppg - note: probably became 2C today)

Evgeny Malkin* (PIT) * * * * * * 79.7 (29p, 0.83ppg)

Jordan Staal* *(CAR) 73.2 (23p, 0.77ppg)

Jack Roslovic* (CBJ) * * 71.4 (20p, 0.74 ppg)

Alexander Wennberg* (FLA) 69.7 (15p, 0.45 ppg)

Anthony Cirelli* * (TBL) 74.5 (21p, 0.78 ppg)

Michael Granlund* (NSH) 72.5 (13p, 0.43 ppg)

David Kampf* * (CHI)* * * 68.8 (8p, 0.24 ppg)

Roop Hintz (DAL) 74.0 (21p, 1.0 ppg)

Vladislav Namestnikov (DET) 72.0 (10p, 0.31 ppg)

John Tavares (TOR) 77.6 (27p, 0.82ppg)

Pierre-Luc DuBois (WIN) 74.6 (14p, 0.61ppg)

J.T. Miller (VAN) 78.5 (29p, 0.85ppg)

Chris Tierney (OTT) 72.2 (14p, 0.39ppg)

Nick Suzuki (MON) N/R (20p, 0.65ppg)

Michael Backlund (CAL) 75.5 (17p, 0.52 ppg)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (EDM) 77.4 (26p, 0.76ppg)

Adrian Kempe (LA) 73.0 (20p, 0.63ppg)

Ryan Hartman (MN) 71.2 (11p, 0.41ppg)

Ryan O'Reilly (STL) 75.8 (31p, 0.94ppg)

Nazim Kadri (COL) 76.4 (25p, 0.78ppg)

Adam Henrique (ANA) 74.7 (14p, 0.50 ppg)

Thomas Hertl (SJS) 77.3 (19p, 0.76ppg)

William Karlsson (VGK) 76.6 (23p, 0.74ppg)

Christian Dvorak (ARI) 72.0 (17p, 0.52 ppg)

• Like 6

Correct. But Strome is actually on pace for about 29 pots this year - if it was a full season, Hayes for 27. Just sayin' that Strome is making that generalization a little less clear cut this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That’s fair. I like Strome better anyway. I still think historically Hayes is the better goal scorer but neither really are elite in that area anyway. I’m glad we have who we have just so I don’t have to listen to that block head talk lol

So, when I don't value my time as highly as I ought to, I am prone to crawl down rabbit holes like this. When I saw the Hayes comparison, I wanted to check out how Strome is matching up with 2Cs around the league. https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ stacks up lines in pretty close to real time and provides the overall https://www.corsicahockey.com/ player ratings, so it accounts for defense and driving play at some level. So I tried to track down who is the de facto 2C for each team and tried to adjust for non-long term injuries. There are some anomalies like why is William Karlson centering the 2nd line for VGK when he is clearly the best C on the team, but few are that pronounced.

So, according to the player ratings, Strome is at the middle of the pack (15). The scores range from 68.8 (Kampf, CHI) to 79.7(Malkin). It is interesting to note that there is a cluster of 10 within a point above and below Strome - 9 of them directly above him. So, while Hayes is above him, it's by less than a point. Cirelli is tied with Strome and Pierre-Luc Dubois is a tenth of a point ahead, meaning that some of the players for which there has been much tumescence around here at times are directly on Strome's level.

It is even more interesting that Strome is 3rd among NHL 2Cs in point production this season and tied for 3rd in points per game with Ryan O'Reilly. That's ahead of guys like Tavares and Malkin - on teams that effectively have 2 1Cs - and well ahead of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Hayes, and some others who have been pined for over Strome at one time or another. Didn't put goals scored in, but he's tied for 4th at 2 goals off the pace. Not saying that this kind of performance is a lock to continue, but it is important to recognize that we are getting a very high value season out of Strome.

PLAYER Corsica rtg. Point production

Ryan Strome*(NYR) * * * * * * * *74.5 (30p, 0.94ppg )

Jack Hughes* (NJD) * * * * * * * 70.0 (16p, 0.52ppg)

Brock Nelson*(NYI) * * * * * * * * 74.1 (19p, 0.56ppg)

Kevin Hayes* (PHI) * * * * * * * * 75.4 (23p, 0.72ppg)

David Krejci* *(BOS) * * * * * * * *73.9 (17p, 0.68 ppg)

Niklas Backstrom* (WAS) * * * * 74.8 (34p, 1.06ppg)

Dylan Cozens* (BUF) * * * * * * * N/R (6p, 0.26 ppg - note: probably became 2C today)

Evgeny Malkin* (PIT) * * * * * * 79.7 (29p, 0.83ppg)

Jordan Staal* *(CAR) 73.2 (23p, 0.77ppg)

Jack Roslovic* (CBJ) * * 71.4 (20p, 0.74 ppg)

Alexander Wennberg* (FLA) 69.7 (15p, 0.45 ppg)

Anthony Cirelli* * (TBL) 74.5 (21p, 0.78 ppg)

Michael Granlund* (NSH) 72.5 (13p, 0.43 ppg)

David Kampf* * (CHI)* * * 68.8 (8p, 0.24 ppg)

Roop Hintz (DAL) 74.0 (21p, 1.0 ppg)

Vladislav Namestnikov (DET) 72.0 (10p, 0.31 ppg)

John Tavares (TOR) 77.6 (27p, 0.82ppg)

Pierre-Luc DuBois (WIN) 74.6 (14p, 0.61ppg)

J.T. Miller (VAN) 78.5 (29p, 0.85ppg)

Chris Tierney (OTT) 72.2 (14p, 0.39ppg)

Nick Suzuki (MON) N/R (20p, 0.65ppg)

Michael Backlund (CAL) 75.5 (17p, 0.52 ppg)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (EDM) 77.4 (26p, 0.76ppg)

Adrian Kempe (LA) 73.0 (20p, 0.63ppg)

Ryan Hartman (MN) 71.2 (11p, 0.41ppg)

Ryan O'Reilly (STL) 75.8 (31p, 0.94ppg)

Nazim Kadri (COL) 76.4 (25p, 0.78ppg)

Adam Henrique (ANA) 74.7 (14p, 0.50 ppg)

Thomas Hertl (SJS) 77.3 (19p, 0.76ppg)

William Karlsson (VGK) 76.6 (23p, 0.74ppg)

Christian Dvorak (ARI) 72.0 (17p, 0.52 ppg)

Nicely done sir.

Nicely done, indeed, and I want to believe this is the new Ryan Strome, but I have issues getting past the fact that he sucked for a long time and was one failed opportunity away from the KHL.

He's a great influence on the team, and brings something the Rangers don't really have otherwise, I'm just not committing to this Ryan Strome as a 70 point C.

Also, for what it's worth, I remember the huge deal some of my Islanders fan friends were making about Strome coming into the league. I think expectations were really high for him because his potential was really high. It's entirely possible (in fact I think he's proving it to us right now) that he just found his game a little later like some other players (Zib, same age) and is simply now reaching the potential that was set out so long ago. As a matter of fact he was drafted 5th overall, one spot ahead of Mika Zibanejad in the same draft class, in a pretty deep draft. If we can say Zib really hit his potential at this point (last 2-3 seasons including this one) then I think we could say the same for Strome. I think he deserves some real acknowledgement as a serious center, I also hope he doesn't cost us too much going forward because I'd really like to keep him.
  • Like 1

Nicely done, indeed, and I want to believe this is the new Ryan Strome, but I have issues getting past the fact that he sucked for a long time and was one failed opportunity away from the KHL.

He's a great influence on the team, and brings something the Rangers don't really have otherwise, I'm just not committing to this Ryan Strome as a 70 point C.

He would not be the first player in recent history to not find his groove until 26. Wheeler, Marchand, hell Zibenejad himself. All hovering around the 40ish point mark before exploding at 26/27.

He would not be the first player in recent history to not find his groove until 26. Wheeler, Marchand, hell Zibenejad himself. All hovering around the 40ish point mark before exploding at 26/27.

This argument sounds familiar, like one I made for Buchnevich recently. I think I was told since Buchnevich was a 3rd round pick 8 years ago that it didn't matter and progession wouldn't continue. At least Strome as a 1st round pick 10 years ago makes this more viable :confused:

From everything it seems, Strome knows he has a home here. He always is media available, has a nice groove, and seems to really enjoy Ranger life. I’m fine with him as a 2c. If it’s Ziby/Strome up the middle I think we are fine as long as we get a 4c great at faceoffs. Desperately need that.

This argument sounds familiar, like one I made for Buchnevich recently. I think I was told since Buchnevich was a 3rd round pick 8 years ago that it didn't matter and progession wouldn't continue. At least Strome as a 1st round pick 10 years ago makes this more viable :confused:
Hm. I think we might have been on the same side there?

From everything it seems, Strome knows he has a home here. He always is media available, has a nice groove, and seems to really enjoy Ranger life. I’m fine with him as a 2c. If it’s Ziby/Strome up the middle I think we are fine as long as we get a 4c great at faceoffs. Desperately need that.

Yeah I'm guilty of only thinking about our top 3 centers, but if the Rangers are going to be successful they need an effective 4th line. I actually can see Howden fully developing into that 4th line center, but he's not there right now. He's not Dom Moore or Betts or Boyle who have been our most effective 4th line centers in recent memory. I'd love for that 4th line to offset the rest of the lineup, which is terrifically skilled, as a heavy, grinding line that can skate and wear down the opposing D over the course of a series. They kind of feel like spare parts right now although Rooney and Blackwell have been good in spurts this season.

Yeah I'm guilty of only thinking about our top 3 centers, but if the Rangers are going to be successful they need an effective 4th line. I actually can see Howden fully developing into that 4th line center, but he's not there right now. He's not Dom Moore or Betts or Boyle who have been our most effective 4th line centers in recent memory. I'd love for that 4th line to offset the rest of the lineup, which is terrifically skilled, as a heavy, grinding line that can skate and wear down the opposing D over the course of a series. They kind of feel like spare parts right now although Rooney and Blackwell have been good in spurts this season.

Exactly. A nice heavy hitting grinding 4th line with a center that wins faceoffs in big spots. It really does help the rest of the team. Pot a goal here and there which lifts the team and is hard to play against. I don’t think Howden is that guy though for c but that’s just me.

Exactly. A nice heavy hitting grinding 4th line with a center that wins faceoffs in big spots. It really does help the rest of the team. Pot a goal here and there which lifts the team and is hard to play against. I don’t think Howden is that guy though for c but that’s just me.

I have no problem with Howden so long as he's in his proper place. What drives me insane with Howden is when he's playing up in the lineup or other wingers are demoted to his wing with the idea of "getting them going." Brett Howden is NOT going to score goals. He shouldn't be out there with less than 10 minutes left in a game where they're losing. So long as these things are known by the Rangers, Howden's okay.

Personally, I'd prefer the 4th line to be a bit more experienced. A bit heavier. And a bit harder to play against.

I have no problem with Howden so long as he's in his proper place. What drives me insane with Howden is when he's playing up in the lineup or other wingers are demoted to his wing with the idea of "getting them going." Brett Howden is NOT going to score goals. He shouldn't be out there with less than 10 minutes left in a game where they're losing. So long as these things are known by the Rangers, Howden's okay.

Personally, I'd prefer the 4th line to be a bit more experienced. A bit heavier. And a bit harder to play against.

And that’s where I think Howden doesn’t really fit for what I’d like us to go for with a 4th. He hustles. But hustle does not really equate to harder to play against in my mind. He’s not overly punishing. He doesn’t really make the d turn around and cough up the puck. He doesn’t grind you down. He’s not even really overly good at faceoffs or a shut down center.

You know who I might look at this offseason? Like Glendening. Ufa I believe. Not a huge guy unfortunately but in previous years he does hit and is fantastic at faceoffs. I don’t think his defensive stats are overly great but it’s Detroit so that’s a bit unfair.

And that’s where I think Howden doesn’t really fit for what I’d like us to go for with a 4th. He hustles. But hustle does not really equate to harder to play against in my mind. He’s not overly punishing. He doesn’t really make the d turn around and cough up the puck. He doesn’t grind you down. He’s not even really overly good at faceoffs or a shut down center.

You know who I might look at this offseason? Like Glendening. Ufa I believe. Not a huge guy unfortunately but in previous years he does hit and is fantastic at faceoffs. I don’t think his defensive stats are overly great but it’s Detroit so that’s a bit unfair.

Howden is one of those guys that's going to bounce around the league until he finds the right mix of coaches and teammates that show him how to play like Jan Erixon used to.

Nah, the argument was that you don't expect 3rd rounders to turn into point per game players. If they do it's a bonus. Glad you can't get me outta your head though.

Howden is one of those guys that's going to bounce around the league until he finds the right mix of coaches and teammates that show him how to play like Jan Erixon used to.

Yeah I think that's probably accurate. And it seems like our approach is to hoard young "talent" a bit to a fault. It's great to have but at some point u have to think 3 years worth is long enough of a look to say it's hurt not going to work here.