• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Chytil looks less and less to me like legit 3C, much less a 2C. He doesn't seem to be a good playmaker and he doesn't play great D. He seemed to be able to do things at the start of the season that he can't now. I gave Mika a whole lot of rope because of COVID and he came around. Maybe Chytil will do the same

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Chytil looks less and less to me like legit 3C, much less a 2C. He doesn't seem to be a good playmaker and he doesn't play great D. He seemed to be able to do things at the start of the season that he can't now. I gave Mika a whole lot of rope because of COVID and he came around. Maybe Chytil will do the same

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Chytil isn't a center. His lapses in the defensive end are detrimental and he hasn't given enough on the offensive end to off-set. I'm not sure what the fix is though. Moving him to the wing with Rooney or Howden as his center doesn't really excite me and he hasn't earned a spot on the wing with Strome or Zib. Maybe a guy like Barron would be a good center for him instead of Howden?

The issue there is still too many wings. You already have Kreider, Panarin, Laf on the left and Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov on the right. If Chytil isn't a center there isn't room for him.

Yeah, just trying to make things work as I don't think Chytil is really a center either. But, you might not have a choice to use him as one for the time being due to the glut at wing. I'm expecting an Eichel trade or something at some point this year, so one or some of these guys are going to get moved.

Chytil is someone they might just have to use as a trade chip. He looked great to start the season until he got injured with 6 points in his first 10, and he honestly could've gotten a few more points. Since then he has 3 points in his last 10 games. With a lack of improvement at center, is it really worth keeping him around to play wing? He's only slightly further along than his competition in Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, etc. and that really isn't saying much. As tantalizing as his skill set is, I just don't see a future here for him. Maybe the injury and Covid have slowed him down considerably, but they don't change that he still doesn't fill the role of a center properly.

I agree with you on that point.

What I'm not sold on is Strome and Buchnevich maintaining this pace. It's not to take anything away from either of them. They have been excellent, but it has not even been half of a normal regular season. I am not bought into it being the new normal, more than a really good stretch of hockey from them. I find it unlikely either keep up at that pace next year (or maybe even the rest of this year). Just like Zibanejad has pulled back (significantly) off the pace he set for himself last year, I would personally expect a pullback from both, though I would be more optimistic about Buchnevich maintaining production than Strome.

It would still have to be a very good return on either. I'm not advertising them on the trade block like they need to be sold, but if a team comes calling with a great offer, I'm not hanging up the phone either.

They're both going to be traded for Eichel. Well, at least one definitely will.

They're both going to be traded for Eichel. Well, at least one definitely will.

If I was Buffalo, who basically needs to reset again and build alongside Dahlin/Cozens/etc., I would have no interest in Strome. He's not the right age. Perhaps some interest in Buchnevich. I think they would just rather have a boat of younger pieces.

The Rangers could probably get more bang for their buck by dealing Strome or Buchnevich elsewhere, rather than to Buffalo just to make the salary work to get Eichel in. The pieces they get back for them might head to Buffalo anyway, or at least backfill a significant asset loss the Rangers would incur by dealing for Eichel.

A reminder of the amount of talent that Eichel possesses. That shot would probably be the best shot on the team. Combine it with Panarin and Zibanejad. Strome deserves a lot of credit for admirable play, but this still just isn't a question for me. Eichel is the choice if it's on the table.

If I was Buffalo, who basically needs to reset again and build alongside Dahlin/Cozens/etc., I would have no interest in Strome. He's not the right age. Perhaps some interest in Buchnevich. I think they would just rather have a boat of younger pieces.

The Rangers could probably get more bang for their buck by dealing Strome or Buchnevich elsewhere, rather than to Buffalo just to make the salary work to get Eichel in. The pieces they get back for them might head to Buffalo anyway, or at least backfill a significant asset loss the Rangers would incur by dealing for Eichel.

Yeah, for sure. Either way, I think they make something work, even if it takes a lot of wheeling and dealing.

There's no doubt Eichel would be an upgrade. He'd make Mika the #2 center, which is pretty outrageous in terms of depth.

Your point on Strome though above isn't necessarily valid because this is Strome's 3rd season in a row with this kind of production. He was great when he got traded here and has only gotten better with Panarin on his wing (although not dependent on Panarin either). He's a good center and certainly better than Mika this season by a wide margin.

It's a pretty interesting situation, IMO. Yes, Eichel would likely become the 1B to Panarin's 1A in terms of best player on the team. But you do risk a long learning curve for Eichel, Mika, and Panarin to figure out who plays where. The chemistry for Panarin and Strome is undeniable and it's not a guarantee it works without Strome.

There's also the factor of contract. Does Eichel make sense if Mika is making 9m a season? Flat cap for the next 4 years? Lots to think about.

There's no doubt Eichel would be an upgrade. He'd make Mika the #2 center, which is pretty outrageous in terms of depth.

Your point on Strome though above isn't necessarily valid because this is Strome's 3rd season in a row with this kind of production. He was great when he got traded here and has only gotten better with Panarin on his wing (although not dependent on Panarin either). He's a good center and certainly better than Mika this season by a wide margin.

It's a pretty interesting situation, IMO. Yes, Eichel would likely become the 1B to Panarin's 1A in terms of best player on the team. But you do risk a long learning curve for Eichel, Mika, and Panarin to figure out who plays where. The chemistry for Panarin and Strome is undeniable and it's not a guarantee it works without Strome.

There's also the factor of contract. Does Eichel make sense if Mika is making 9m a season? Flat cap for the next 4 years? Lots to think about.

Strome's scoring pace across the first year and a half with the Rangers was 57 points. Last year alone was a 69 point pace though. This year is 77 points - almost a PPG. It does show continual progression. It is the best argument in favor of saying the production is here to stay. I just don't believe he will maintain quite this level of production, but I think he has pretty well cemented himself as a safe bet to hit 60 points a year moving forward...with potential to put up a bit more any given year.

To clarify my position, given Strome's play, I do not believe the Rangers are under the gun to find a center anymore, and I do not believe they have a top 6 center problem anymore. However, Eichel is a different animal. I am undeterred in my efforts to acquire him because I'm still taking a franchise center over this new version of Strome. The salary difference won't be that great when considering Strome will be getting a significant raise after next year.

Yeah, head-to-head, Eichel > Strome, but this isn't happening in a vacuum. This is actually eerily similar to the situation the team was in in '06 when they let Nylander — who had incredible chemistry with Jagr and Straka — walk in free agency, then signed both Gomez and Drury to fill the void. The problem being, neither could play the way Jagr wanted to, which was slow and deliberate. It ultimately lead to Dubinsky ending up as Jagr's center, among others, because the plan kind of backfired.

You have a known commodity in Strome right now that we know for a fact can not only keep up and produce like a first-line center (he's a point-per-game player this season), but who has built-in chemistry with the team's most important star. I'm not sure I'd be in such a hurry to throw that out because a fancier name is available, even though I don't think Eichel wouldn't be able to play next to Panarin.

• Like 1

Yeah, head-to-head, Eichel > Strome, but this isn't happening in a vacuum. This is actually eerily similar to the situation the team was in in '06 when they let Nylander — who had incredible chemistry with Jagr and Straka — walk in free agency, then signed both Gomez and Drury to fill the void. The problem being, neither could play the way Jagr wanted to, which was slow and deliberate. It ultimately lead to Dubinsky ending up as Jagr's center, among others, because the plan kind of backfired.

You have a known commodity in Strome right now that we know for a fact can not only keep up and produce like a first-line center (he's a point-per-game player this season), but who has built-in chemistry with the team's most important star. I'm not sure I'd be in such a hurry to throw that out because a fancier name is available, even though I don't think Eichel wouldn't be able to play next to Panarin.

Holy shit, yeah I remember that!!!

The key word in there, Phil is the "Chemistry" part, I think. Strome is doing a great job filling that #2 C role, and even though I know you've been toting the Eichel banner pretty high, I'm glad to see you think it might be best to go with the devil we know.

Eichel would be a great acquisition, no doubt, but we would have to probably have shake a few things up even more to fit him under the cap....especially when guys like Fox, Zibby, and the like, become RFA or UFA.

Yup. I'm actually not convinced that Buffalo wouldn't want Chytil instead of Strome, which is an even bigger question mark if that's the case. It's great in the short run. Strome moves to 3rd line behind Eichel and Mika. CRAZY depth. But how to do afford all those players after the initial season? You can't. Which means that Strome would probably be lost to trade or FA and land us back at the same problem, depth.

Yup. I'm actually not convinced that Buffalo wouldn't want Chytil instead of Strome, which is an even bigger question mark if that's the case. It's great in the short run. Strome moves to 3rd line behind Eichel and Mika. CRAZY depth. But how to do afford all those players after the initial season? You can't. Which means that Strome would probably be lost to trade or FA and land us back at the same problem, depth.

Fuck depth, we dont need a 4th line.

KZB

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

Roll 3 lines 20 minutes each. Should be able to work under the cap lol.

Fuck depth, we dont need a 4th line.

KZB

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

Roll 3 lines 20 minutes each. Should be able to work under the cap lol.

If we had Eichel and Zib 1C-2C, we could play my mother (who, incidentally, has been dead for a number of years) at 3C and we would still have significant center depth.

Bingo.

You're not choosing between Eichel and Strome, you're choosing between Eichel and Zib. Raise your hand if you think Z stays after being told "We just got Eichel so you're going to be the #2 center now and we can only afford to give you 2nd liner money, so here's $7M over 5 years".

There are about a dozen teams that can use a #1 center. Zib will have options.