• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

JD and JG talked extensively this summer that they like his game, his style of play. "All of the playoff teams" had "guys like this" making an impact every game. Even in the draft room, prior to the pick, they had their eyes on him and moved up to get him.

Even with their later picks, they were 'safe' with their center selections and avoided those boom or bust guys.

At the time of the draft, Strome was still unsigned. They said they had looked at moving him (in a package) for, what we can assume, is a younger C. Regardless, they did not seem to be focused on drafting a C to come in and make an impact anytime soon.

I get that they liked him and I understand the desire to take the best player available. But the Rangers now have a potential defense corps with so many shades and flavors that there is no room for all of the dmen likely to be quality NHLers. Meanwhile, a quarter season slump for Zib has sent the entire ecosystem into a panicked tailspin about how the lack of center depth could tank the rebuild. In as much as as there was the opportunity to address what is largely recognized as a critical weakness, I remain surprised that they didn't.

The longer this goes...

Do not trade:

- Laf

- Kakko

- Chytil

- Kravtsov

- Fox

- Miller

- Schneider

- Lundkvist

- Shesty

This is the core going forward, along with Panarin.

The want to choose from other prospects and picks great. If not, see ya later.

Sure we can offer Libor Hajek & Brett Howden; if that doesn't work we will just sweeten the deal with Ty Ronning as throw in. No problem.

I think ol' Dick Louie might be onto something here:

zjxT1g9.png

Kevyn Adams is out of his mind if he thinks that is going to be his return for Eichel given the lack of teams that have cap space and assets available. Not to say that potential teams couldn't move things around to accommodate the cap space in the off season widening the field; but if accurate, that is likely what he wants as a starting point for negotiations so, that he can hope to return more. The reality is that I think this deal looks more like the return that Columbus got for Rick Nash, than what was laid out there.

https://theathletic.com/2440953/2021/03/11/new-york-rangers-trade-tiers-who-stays-who-goes-does-jack-eichels-availability-or-artemi-panarins-return-factor-in/

Too much for a true quote here, but the gist of it is that the Rangers view Fox, Kakko, Laf, and Key as untouchables. Chytil, Shesterkin, Lindgren, Lundkvist (!) are in the "barely touchable" tier.

Long and short - Kravtsov headlines a list of prospects the Rangers like, but can deal from a glut. Strome is most likely to be dealt, alongside Buchnevich and Lemieux. ADA/Georgiev/Hajek/Howden are damaged goods.

https://theathletic.com/2440953/2021/03/11/new-york-rangers-trade-tiers-who-stays-who-goes-does-jack-eichels-availability-or-artemi-panarins-return-factor-in/

Too much for a true quote here, but the gist of it is that the Rangers view Fox, Kakko, Laf, and Key as untouchables. Chytil, Shesterkin, Lindgren, Lundkvist (!) are in the "barely touchable" tier.

Long and short - Kravtsov headlines a list of prospects the Rangers like, but can deal from a glut. Strome is most likely to be dealt, alongside Buchnevich and Lemieux. ADA/Georgiev/Hajek/Howden are damaged goods.

Strome has really had a pretty decent year, G! As much as I see him more of a 3C than Chytil, if the Rangers are going to make a deal for Eichel, this might be a good time to deal Strome as his value is probably at it's crest.

I wouldn't mind an Eichel/Zibby/Chytil/Rooney center lineup!

Strome has really had a pretty decent year, G! As much as I see him more of a 3C than Chytil, if the Rangers are going to make a deal for Eichel, this might be a good time to deal Strome as his value is probably at it's crest.

I wouldn't mind an Eichel/Zibby/Chytil/Rooney center lineup!

Fair play - bluntly, can't see a world where we move for Eichel without moving Strome in the deal, unless Buchnevich (or both?) go the other way.

Fair play - bluntly, can't see a world where we move for Eichel without moving Strome in the deal, unless Buchnevich (or both?) go the other way.

Strome and Buch going the other way would at least give the Sabres two pretty good players to start a deal with although Strome is signed for only one more season and Buch is a RFA after this season. Can't imagine either guy or anybody for that matter would be thrilled with the possibility of clicking off any additional years of their careers in that blackhole of a organization.

Strome and Buch going the other way would at least give the Sabres two pretty good players to start a deal with although Strome is signed for only one more season and Buch is a RFA after this season. Can't imagine either guy or anybody for that matter would be thrilled with the possibility of clicking off any additional years of their careers in that blackhole of a organization.

I can't remember who said it now, but someone from Buffalo was saying the Sabres would at need a piece or pieces to put into the lineup right now. If that's the case, Strome makes some sense.

Per the article:

Either way, Strome won’t bring back a first-rounder. Maybe a second plus a lower-level young player/prospect?

Hmmm. I think at this minute I would be mildly disappointed with a 2nd. He's improved this year and shown more worth to the club. He's producing away from Panarin and he's cut down on the bad penalties. Both of these things were big question marks for me. If he was a pending UFA, take what you can get, but he's not. I think they should be a bit more stubborn about dealing Strome until next year or until there's a clearer path moving forward at center.

2021 draft picks will not carry normal value nor will teams be trading them easily for rentals especially if a player is switching countries and loses even more games with quarantine time -- are teams really going to be eager to load up on 2021 picks with it likely the draft is in july with NO proper scouting done on the draft class in over a year?

2021 draft picks will not carry normal value nor will teams be trading them easily for rentals especially if a player is switching countries and loses even more games with quarantine time -- are teams really going to be eager to load up on 2021 picks with it likely the draft is in july with NO proper scouting done on the draft class in over a year?

This was a topic they covered on the Athletic Hockey Podcast yesterday and it's SUPER hit-or-miss.

Some teams are desperate for a punt. Others are perfectly excited to draft now.

All that means is that there's a valuation gap on first rounders this year.

This was a topic they covered on the Athletic Hockey Podcast yesterday and it's SUPER hit-or-miss.

Some teams are desperate for a punt. Others are perfectly excited to draft now.

All that means is that there's a valuation gap on first rounders this year.

I mean if Buffalo knew our pick was going to be a top 5 this year it would be different discussion but right now we can assume its going to be in the 8-14 range. I'm all for dealing our picks if it means keeping as much of what we have now because those picks will be used searching for centers who are going to need time to develop.

I would think there are a bunch of teams that just want to reduce salary either because of the flat cap or because they are losing a ton of money. So I don't think draft picks will lose value at all.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhl-rumors-sabres-want-4-first-round-picks-for-jack-eichel-181516797.html

TVA NHL reporter Renaud Lavoie joined Sportsnet's "Writers Bloc" on Monday, telling hosts Jeff Blair and Stephen Brunt that the decision to move or keep Eichel is one that reaches far beyond the scope of the general manager.

"But what I've been told is this: If they trade him, what they really want is four pieces that are first-round picks, or players that are playing if not in the NHL or elsewhere in the NCAA that are first-round picks that are having success.

"It's going to be a game-breaker for them, they need to change a lot of things," Lavoie added.

There's a disconnect here. I wouldn't trade Fox for Eichel one up. Fox will probably do more to help you win, his salary will max out at a couple of million below Eichel's and it won't reach that for several years.

I don't think Fox is for sale for anyone unless the name coming back in a deal is McDavid.