• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

He's not a leader. Look how bad Buffalo is with him as their star. They don't even have any team effort. He would be a massive mistake.

This is just a completely unfair statement. Ryan O'Reilly basically quit on the Sabres and now he's the captain in St. Louis. Is he a bad leader because the Sabres sucked while he was there too? Would you also pass on O'Reilly if he were available to the Rangers?

Eichel has dragged that team on his back for 6 years. He got Skinner to the 40 goal plateau. Any offense that came for the Sabres has been through Jack Eichel.

Now, if he came to the Rangers I wouldn't expect him to be named captain. Especially not in the first year. And you know what? Maybe that pressure would help lift a weight off him.

No one knows what he'll want. He might be happy with term and security. This is his 3rd team. I doubt he wants to keep moving.

Sure, but if he continues at this 60-70 point a season pace through next year, which would be 3 years in a row at that pace, I'm playing the percentages that he will command a lot more than he's making now. Especially as he will be entering UFA status this time.

Yeah, I guess that's probably accurate, but I can't answer honestly without knowing what Zibanejad's value is, you know? Like, is Zibanejad coming in at $9 or $10 million, too? If so, there's probably less risk in giving Strome $7 million than Zibanejad $10 million when you already have Eichel at $10 million and Trouba and Panarin. You get into Leafs territory immediately, and it becomes damn near impossible to sign anyone else.

My view on it is dependent on Zibanejad coming in no more than 8M, maybe 8.5M max. Once you start inching towards 10M, I think that needs to be your 1C IMO. Assuming Zib locks in for the desired amount, I'd rather have him at 2C for 8-8.5M than Strome at 2C for 6.5-7M.

I'll also say that I'm not as concerned about Trouba's contract as most here. I would rather it not be on the books right now, sure, but I think they can get out from under it pretty easily in 3 years if they really need the space. That would be the summer of 2024 when the NMC reduces to a 15 team NTC. If they absolutely cannot find a taker, a buyout at that stage is tolerable (hits: 4M, 4M, 2M, 2M, yrs: 24-25 -> 27-28). Not ideal, but it's not exactly a back breaker for any particular year either like the Shattenkirk one.

This is just a completely unfair statement. Ryan O'Reilly basically quit on the Sabres and now he's the captain in St. Louis. Is he a bad leader because the Sabres sucked while he was there too? Would you also pass on O'Reilly if he were available to the Rangers?

Eichel has dragged that team on his back for 6 years. He got Skinner to the 40 goal plateau. Any offense that came for the Sabres has been through Jack Eichel.

Now, if he came to the Rangers I wouldn't expect him to be named captain. Especially not in the first year. And you know what? Maybe that pressure would help lift a weight off him.

The Sabres are beyond redemption until their ownership changes. You could put Gretzky and Lemieux on that team and they'd still be in the doldrums. We shouldn't judge anyone in that organization on anything but what we think they could be once they escape Buffalo.

Eichel might not be C material either way, but he's a damn good player. Same with Dahlin.

The Sabres are beyond redemption until their ownership changes. You could put Gretzky and Lemieux on that team and they'd still be in the doldrums. We shouldn't judge anyone in that organization on anything but what we think they could be once they escape Buffalo.

Eichel might not be C material either way, but he's a damn good player. Same with Dahlin.

Agreed. Toxic environment is toxic.

While the Sabres are a dumpster fire any trade for Eichel has to be met with hesitation just because of the cost. I do think the reward is worth the risk as far as contract and the talent go. Now what does it cost in assets is the question. for me. If we can swing a fair deal, say Buch, Chytil, 1st for him I would do it. You start talking Kaako or Lafy then I'm not sure

This. I've posted the stats like six times now. Eichel has 355 points in 375 games. The Sabres have been a bottom-five NHL team in scoring every year Eichel has been there. How on earth is this his fault? This line of thinking is just astounding to me. He could be well over a point-per-game and the Sabres would all but certainly still be a perennial lottery team. They have done a horrendous job of building around him.

Sure, but if he continues at this 60-70 point a season pace through next year, which would be 3 years in a row at that pace, I'm playing the percentages that he will command a lot more than he's making now. Especially as he will be entering UFA status this time.

You could also play the percentages that three straight years of 60-70 points is worth investing in. The devil you know.

My view on it is dependent on Zibanejad coming in no more than 8M, maybe 8.5M max. Once you start inching towards 10M, I think that needs to be your 1C IMO. Assuming Zib locks in for the desired amount, I'd rather have him at 2C for 8-8.5M than Strome at 2C for 6.5-7M.

Right. I tend to agree, but for sure, if we're talking about $9 million plus Zibanejad, shit gets financially dicey really quickly.

I'll also say that I'm not as concerned about Trouba's contract as most here. I would rather it not be on the books right now, sure, but I think they can get out from under it pretty easily in 3 years if they really need the space. That would be the summer of 2024 when the NMC reduces to a 15 team NTC. If they absolutely cannot find a taker, a buyout at that stage is tolerable (hits: 4M, 4M, 2M, 2M, yrs: 24-25 -> 27-28). Not ideal, but it's not exactly a back breaker for any particular year either like the Shattenkirk one.

Agree on Trouba, generally. Same with Kreider. I actually think both are eminently tradable to contenders. Especially in a few more seasons.

This. I've posted the stats like six times now. Eichel has 355 points in 375 games. The Sabres have been a bottom-five NHL team in scoring every year Eichel has been there. How on earth is this his fault? This line of thinking is just astounding to me. He could be well over a point-per-game and the Sabres would all but certainly still be a perennial lottery team. They have done a horrendous job of building around him.

You could also play the percentages that three straight years of 60-70 points is worth investing in. The devil you know.

Right. I tend to agree, but for sure, if we're talking about $9 million plus Zibanejad, shit gets financially dicey really quickly.

Agree on Trouba, generally. Same with Kreider. I actually think both are eminently tradable to contenders. Especially in a few more seasons.

And it's a very good point. He just seems to keep getting better. His two way game has improved, penalties way down, more disciplined, all while his offensive production has actually increased this year even with Panarin missing, what, 3 weeks? Strome had 4 goals, 5 assists in 9 games during that span. He was serviceable last year, but he has really upgraded his overall game this year.

Eichel sucks, is a little bitch and looks like a foot. Mika is 7 times the player he is. No reason to give up a single thing for something we don't even need, let alone tear the whole team down for it. This is just stupid. We have a great #1 center in Zib, we have a great #2 center in Strome, and we have a very good developing #3 center in Chytil. Absolutely fuck Jack Eichel and the whole idea of it. Dumbest Ranger trade scenario I've hear brought up in forever. Makes no sense, you got Buccigross saying trade Kakko, Lundkvist, Chytil, Schneider and draft picks, you've got other writers saying trade Laf. Absolutely all of it just mind numbingly stupid. We don't have a single fucking need for Jack Eichel. He brings nothing we don't already have and costs more than it.

Push to shove, right now, I think the Eichel talk is probably done with for now.

Zib playing like this? Yeah, we're good at 1c.

Strome playing like this? Yeah, we're good at 2c - and that takes a key piece off the table.

Are we honestly putting Buchnevich up in this deal? He's having a career year playing with two guys who have STRUGGLED this season and with no fucking powerplay time. He's probably the best RW in our division short of Pastrnak right now. Are we really going to trade this guy - in a package, no less? I know the guy is on a hell of a heater right now, but when you do it for three months straight, you've got to wonder if it's a heater or just who he is.

With those guys gone, we need to convince Kreider to waive (no chance), convince the Sabres to take Tony (not crazy, but unlikely), or find a way to clear out the cap space for Eichel and hope he outproduces Zib - who can apparently shit on the Flyers at will and feels like he's really back to last years form - or Strome, who is basically a point a game center making under half what Eichel makes to be a point a game center.

I'm really hard pressed to think we need a move of this caliber. It just doesn't make sense short of us finding ourselves right here next season with zero progress from any of the kids and Strome holding our nuts to the fire on a contract extension.

• Like 1

Push to shove, right now, I think the Eichel talk is probably done with for now.

Zib playing like this? Yeah, we're good at 1c.

Strome playing like this? Yeah, we're good at 2c - and that takes a key piece off the table.

Are we honestly putting Buchnevich up in this deal? He's having a career year playing with two guys who have STRUGGLED this season and with no fucking powerplay time. He's probably the best RW in our division short of Pastrnak right now. Are we really going to trade this guy - in a package, no less? I know the guy is on a hell of a heater right now, but when you do it for three months straight, you've got to wonder if it's a heater or just who he is.

With those guys gone, we need to convince Kreider to waive (no chance), convince the Sabres to take Tony (not crazy, but unlikely), or find a way to clear out the cap space for Eichel and hope he outproduces Zib - who can apparently shit on the Flyers at will and feels like he's really back to last years form - or Strome, who is basically a point a game center making under half what Eichel makes to be a point a game center.

I'm really hard pressed to think we need a move of this caliber. It just doesn't make sense short of us finding ourselves right here next season with zero progress from any of the kids and Strome holding our nuts to the fire on a contract extension.

You could make an argument to sell high on a player or two here, and arguably buy low on Eichel.

I will say this though - if Buchnevich wants Kevin Hayes money, and having him in the deal makes Buffalo back off some of the higher asks (i.e. the deal becomes Buchnevich, Robertson, and a 1st or something like that) - I think that sways me.

I'd do that in a heart beat.

I have to admit I've never been on the Buch bandwagon but he has proven to me this season he is a viable top 6, probably even top 3 guy. Even so I'd flip him for Eichel as this team needs better center depth. Not sure that particular deal gets it done but it would be highway robbery if it did. Thats the only way I really would be okay trading for Eichel is in a deal where they dont give up any major prospects (kakko, Laf, miller, schneider, lundqvist, chytil, krav) which is probably impossible.

If Eichel does happen they may get away with not giving up Kakko (they won't trade Lafreniere), but I don't know. You can at least say goodbye two two of the players you mentioned. Buffalo isn't going to give him away. If they do trade him, it's very important for their future. If they get a crap return, then the fans will probably turn on the franchise forever. It's a big deal for them. He'll get dealt either way to someone, as will all their impending UFA. It's going to be a huge blow up and reboot for them.

If Eichel does happen they may get away with not giving up Kakko (they won't trade Lafreniere), but I don't know. You can at least say goodbye two two of the players you mentioned. Buffalo isn't going to give him away. If they do trade him, it's very important for their future. If they get a crap return, then the fans will probably turn on the franchise forever. It's a big deal for them. He'll get dealt either way to someone, as will all their impending UFA. It's going to be a huge blow up and reboot for them.

I'd take a page from the NBA and do Buchnevich, Robertson, 2021 1st, and first round pick swap options in 2022 and 2024. Basically, it's a built-in "trade up if you want" in two drafts. We'd actually retain our firsts - just not necessarily their positions. And that might be attractive to Buffalo, since 1st rounders getting traded tend to go to lesser teams.

I'd take a page from the NBA and do Buchnevich, Robertson, 2021 1st, and first round pick swap options in 2022 and 2024. Basically, it's a built-in "trade up if you want" in two drafts. We'd actually retain our firsts - just not necessarily their positions. And that might be attractive to Buffalo, since 1st rounders getting traded tend to go to lesser teams.

You really think Buffalo will have a higher pick than Rangers the next 3 years? Especially if they give us Eichel.

If that was to be the case, we're fucked lol