• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Bingo.

You're not choosing between Eichel and Strome, you're choosing between Eichel and Zib. Raise your hand if you think Z stays after being told "We just got Eichel so you're going to be the #2 center now and we can only afford to give you 2nd liner money, so here's $7M over 5 years".

There are about a dozen teams that can use a #1 center. Zib will have options.

6-7 years at 7-8mil is exactly what Strome will be asking for as a UFA if he puts up 70pts in his contract years.

6-7 years at 7-8mil is exactly what Strome will be asking for as a UFA if he puts up 70pts in his contract years.

Yup,Strome will not be cheap. At all. Plus Zib doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to whine like that about needing some #1C title. I think he'd want the best chance of winning. He caught the backend of the Rangers playoff years when they didn't do much of anything.

Yup,Strome will not be cheap. At all. Plus Zib doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to whine like that about needing some #1C title. I think he'd want the best chance of winning. He caught the backend of the Rangers playoff years when they didn't do much of anything.
Yea.... No.

Strome MAY want that, but nobody really knows. He might be more willing to go low on AAV if he gets term.

However, Strome may ask for $7x7 but that's his max. Zib's max ask could be $11x7.

Neither of these posts changes the fact that you're not choosing between Eichel and Strome.

Yea.... No.

Strome MAY want that, but nobody really knows. He might be more willing to go low on AAV if he gets term.

However, Strome may ask for $7x7 but that's his max. Zib's max ask could be $11x7.

Neither of these posts changes the fact that you're not choosing between Eichel and Strome.

If Strome puts up a 70 point season next year, it's not just what he'll ask for. It's what he'll get. And I wouldn't pay it over trading for Eichel.

It's a choice between Eichel and Strome, and the difference in salary between the two will only be about 3% of the cap. I'll find that amount of cap to save elsewhere.

If Strome puts up a 70 point season next year, it's not just what he'll ask for. It's what he'll get. And I wouldn't pay it over trading for Eichel.

It's a choice between Eichel and Strome, and the difference in salary between the two will only be about 3% of the cap. I'll find that amount of cap to save elsewhere.

But it's not a choice between Eichel and Strome. Hard stop.

Strome is a glue guy who is putting up points. He has to stay, at this point. He'd honestly be my pick for Captain.

I’ve been talking about him being a leader for awhile. Time will tell as his cohort seems to be getting traded/waived.

I still don’t think you go long term with him. He’s about to hit the brassard journeyman stage.

If you bring in Eichel, it’s to replace Ziby. You aren’t affording Eichel, Panarin, Trouba, Ziby, Kreider then think you somehow have future money for any breakout players. The only way is if u are literally penny pinching them until there is enough bad blood that when they hit a position of negotiating strength they say “fuck you pay me.” Then where are we?

Rangers have to sit down both Strome and Ziby and have the same conversation with them. “We see you both are vital to our next 4-5 years. We need you both but we need a value to achieve that. We’ve stuck by you when times were tough (Ziby) or we’re one team away from being khl bound (Strome). It’s time to put the cards on the table and win a cup here. Ziby, we are offering 8.5x5. Stromer, we are offering 6.5 x 5. Let’s shake.”

If you bring in Eichel, it’s to replace Ziby. You aren’t affording Eichel, Panarin, Trouba, Ziby, Kreider then think you somehow have future money for any breakout players. The only way is if u are literally penny pinching them until there is enough bad blood that when they hit a position of negotiating strength they say “fuck you pay me.” Then where are we?

Rangers have to sit down both Strome and Ziby and have the same conversation with them. “We see you both are vital to our next 4-5 years. We need you both but we need a value to achieve that. We’ve stuck by you when times were tough (Ziby) or we’re one team away from being khl bound (Strome). It’s time to put the cards on the table and win a cup here. Ziby, we are offering 8.5x5. Stromer, we are offering 6.5 x 5. Let’s shake.”

Both of the bold have NMCs converting to limited NTCs in 3 summers. One of them will be gone. By the looks of it, Trouba.

Both of the bold have NMCs converting to limited NTCs in 3 summers. One of them will be gone. By the looks of it, Trouba.

Yeah, but before those 3 years the following g players are going to get bumps. Buch (soonest but might not stay), Kakko, ALF, Chytil, Lindgren, Fox, Miller, Sheshty. That’s my point about pinching pennies. Sure they can play extreme hardball but you’re playing with fire if you don’t give any good will at all and until the 24/25 season, you are married to some hefty contracts. Eichels 10m is even longer. Now the given is if you trade for Eichel, you are giving up some players mentioned above. But let’s just say Fox goes off even more than now. Great problem to have. However, I’d rather have some money to play with to play with if he were offer sheeted or need some good will. Can’t hope for a Tampa Hail Mary injury to save us cap wise. Just stay the course.

• Like 1

We're currently paying like $17m to Lundqvist, DeAngelo, Shattenkirk, Spooner and Girardi. Fox is the only player on the team who's dirt cheap and currently playing his way to a significant cap increase. Zib increase is looking to be around +5mil. You move Smiths cap hit to Lindgren and Buch would certainly be gone in any Eichel trade, Strome to RW in his contract year. I'm curious as to where all this cap space is assumed to be going at the moment. Unless you think Kakko is putting up 40 goals next season.

TMFN has been saying it the whole time, Eichel is a dour, sour, grumpy individual.

If I'm dealing from surplus, it's too build the depth of this team with elite depth. I'm not looking for another high end piece. We have the high end pieces, and we also have Phil Di Giuseppe and Kevin Rooney.

TMFN has been saying it the whole time, Eichel is a dour, sour, grumpy individual.

If I'm dealing from surplus, it's too build the depth of this team with elite depth. I'm not looking for another high end piece. We have the high end pieces, and we also have Phil Di Giuseppe and Kevin Rooney.

He's been stuck on a shit franchise that has never sniffed the playoffs in his 6 seasons as a pro, despite being a PPG player. I think a little leeway is warranted on being "sour".

Yeah, but before those 3 years the following g players are going to get bumps. Buch (soonest but might not stay), Kakko, ALF, Chytil, Lindgren, Fox, Miller, Sheshty. That’s my point about pinching pennies. Sure they can play extreme hardball but you’re playing with fire if you don’t give any good will at all and until the 24/25 season, you are married to some hefty contracts. Eichels 10m is even longer. Now the given is if you trade for Eichel, you are giving up some players mentioned above. But let’s just say Fox goes off even more than now. Great problem to have. However, I’d rather have some money to play with to play with if he were offer sheeted or need some good will. Can’t hope for a Tampa Hail Mary injury to save us cap wise. Just stay the course.

It's tough to argue with this kind of logic, Big K. I'm thinking this may very well be the way to approach this as well.

:thumbs:

Would you trade Mika to get this deal done?

Aside from two games against Philly, Mika has been near worthless this season and I'm very concerned about the size of his next contract. Do you run back the Brassard trade only this time moving Mika for Eichel?

Aside from two games against Philly, Mika has been near worthless this season and I'm very concerned about the size of his next contract. Do you run back the Brassard trade only this time moving Mika for Eichel?

I don't think Buffalo would want Zibanejad. I suspect they would rather get younger. I don't think I would do it either, but it depends on Zib's ask. I wouldn't pay him more than 8M, and right now I'm not sure he comes in much higher than even 7M. I don't think it's fair to say he has been near worthless. He does so many things when he is not on the scoresheet. He's a very good two way player, PKer, etc. Long term, I believe you win with guys like that.

I'm still looking to run Eichel/Zibanejad 1/2 together. It's doable cap wise with Zib @ 8M or under.

I mean, yes, I'd trade Zibanejad for Eichel.

Imagine the return if you retained 1m on him, and the team gets 2 years. I mentioned before, Zibanejad to VGK for Krebs, roster player, 1st. You move Krebs, roster player, vegas 1st, NYR 1st for Eichel

Not the ideal move, though. Which, might not be Eichel.

I'd rather move an older player than a younger player.

I don't think Buffalo would want Zibanejad. I suspect they would rather get younger. I don't think I would do it either, but it depends on Zib's ask. I wouldn't pay him more than 8M, and right now I'm not sure he comes in much higher than even 7M. I don't think it's fair to say he has been near worthless. He does so many things when he is not on the scoresheet. He's a very good two way player, PKer, etc. Long term, I believe you win with guys like that.

I'm still looking to run Eichel/Zibanejad 1/2 together. It's doable cap wise with Zib @ 8M or under.

I'd like to see that too, but Zibby and Strome both come up as RFA's in the same year. Zibby will most likely get some better offers, I think...and I'd like to see the Rangers keep Strome; I think he's just coming into being that #2 center we've needed.

I still think in order to have Eichel, we're going to have to part with Zibby, and I'm not so sure I would do that. Eichel is great, but it's the devil you know for me, in my opinion. I'd stick with what we've got. I don't think this season is a judge for Zibby. I still believe that COVID bug kicked his ass pretty good.

I'd like to see that too, but Zibby and Strome both come up as RFA's in the same year. Zibby will most likely get some better offers, I think...and I'd like to see the Rangers keep Strome; I think he's just coming into being that #2 center we've needed.

I still think in order to have Eichel, we're going to have to part with Zibby, and I'm not so sure I would do that. Eichel is great, but it's the devil you know for me, in my opinion. I'd stick with what we've got. I don't think this season is a judge for Zibby. I still believe that COVID bug kicked his ass pretty good.

I dont think we know what we have/get for Zibanejad.