• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Jeff Skinner was a muti-time 30 goal scorer before going to Buf and scoring 40. You mean to tell me another player in that spot would have scored more?

Kane's time in Buf: 20 goals in 65 games and 20 goals in 61. That's a turd?

Taylor Hall has 12 points in 15 games playing along side Krejci, maybe Eichel is the turd?

The point is Eichel has had decent enough linemates.

I'm just not sure what the point your making is. Michael Grabner and Brian Boyle are also 20 goal scorers. What does that prove? That they're good?

You'd have to be friggin' blind to look at the Buffalo Sabres lineup and say, "yup they definitely built a good team there." Or, "Jack Eichel has probably topped out as a scorer because he played with Evander Kane." Like, c'mon lol. Not to mention the culture of that organization is so toxic people have retired instead of playing for them. Every time people leave, their careers rebound.

Jack Eichel is better than Mika and Strome. Mika is a .71 PPG player over his career, Strome is .55, Eichel is .89.

Eichel has 30 more points than Strome in 2 less seasons played. And this is on a team that is HISTORICALLY bad.

You want to tell me the Rangers can't afford him, that's fine. I agree. But you have no stats that can justify your opinion that he's not the better hockey player.

I'm only concerned about cost to acquire with the injury revelations.

12% of our cap, yes, but much cheaper than Strome and Buch combined, and probably only slightly more than Zibanejad's next contract. So if you're concerned with the cap for Eichel, you should be concerned about the cap with Zib or both Buch and Strome on the roster.

I am - it's a fair question since it ostensibly puts us in an "okay, who the fuck ever plays 2c for us" situation aside from next season.

I'm also not really convinced Buch and Strome go the other way directly. Feels like an odd deal for Buffalo to make.

Well, that's not moving the goalposts at all here.

Buffalo has repeatedly brought in talented wingers to be Eichel's ride-or-die. Aside from Skinner, it hasn't worked well. Let's not sit here and pretend Buffalo hasn't actually tried.

I don't care if Buffalo's tried, lol. That's not the argument.

I'm just not sure what the point your making is. Michael Grabner and Brian Boyle are also 20 goal scorers. What does that prove? That they're good?

You'd have to be friggin' blind to look at the Buffalo Sabres lineup and say, "yup they definitely built a good team there." Or, "Jack Eichel has probably topped out as a scorer because he played with Evander Kane." Like, c'mon lol. Not to mention the culture of that organization is so toxic people have retired instead of playing for them. Every time people leave, their careers rebound.

Jack Eichel is better than Mika and Strome. Mika is a .71 PPG player over his career, Strome is .55, Eichel is .89.

Eichel has 30 more points than Strome in 2 less seasons played. And this is on a team that is HISTORICALLY bad.

You want to tell me the Rangers can't afford him, that's fine. I agree. But you have no stats that can justify your opinion that he's not the better hockey player.

You're missing the point everyone else is making to hammer on BUT EICHEL.

We all know Eichel is good. The question is how much of an upgrade he is and whether or not the cost is worth it.

We all know Buffalo is bad. The question is whether or not they've brought in players who can play with Eichel and have done so repeatedly with an almost astonishing lack of success.

You're missing the point everyone else is making to hammer on BUT EICHEL.

We all know Eichel is good. The question is how much of an upgrade he is and whether or not the cost is worth it.

We all know Buffalo is bad. The question is whether or not they've brought in players who can play with Eichel and have done so repeatedly with an almost astonishing lack of success.

I don't think I am missing the point. This is what you said:

I dunno about Eichel anymore.

Buffalo would be asking a lot to want multiple significant pieces for a guy locked into a 10m/y contract, coming off a neck injury that you apparently didn't let him have treated, and isn't really that big an upgrade over Zibanejad - or even Strome.

I'm arguing that he's a massive upgrade over Strome based on stats, history, and the dumpster fire team he plays for.

You're the one telling me Evander Kane is good.

I have repeated over and over that I don't know if the cost is right. My only point is that he's way better than what we have.

So instead of playing with Evander Kane and Sam Reinhart he now plays with Chris Kreider (a virtual clone of Kane) and Buch (amazingly similar numbers to Reinhart).

Strome the last 2 years as a Ranger .84 & .88. Why should I care about his numbers on HISTORICALLY bad Oiler and Islander teams? Also, don't need to trade for him and doesn't make $10 mil per year.

Zib the last 3 years as a Ranger .90, 1.32, & .89 (1.14 ppg after his first 15 COVID games). Why should I care about his numbers on HISTORICALLY bad Sens team? Also, don't need to trade for him.

I'm arguing that he's a massive upgrade over Strome based on stats, history, and the dumpster fire team he plays for.

I have repeated over and over that I don't know if the cost is right. My only point is that he's way better than what we have.

Eichel isn't replacing Strome. Is it really an argument to say that bringing in a #1 center to replace your #2 center is an upgrade? Of course it's an upgrade, but it isn't financially viable.

So instead of playing with Evander Kane and Sam Reinhart he now plays with Chris Kreider (a virtual clone of Kane) and Buch (amazingly similar numbers to Reinhart).

Strome the last 2 years as a Ranger .84 & .88. Why should I care about his numbers on HISTORICALLY bad Oiler and Islander teams? Also, don't need to trade for him and doesn't make $10 mil per year.

Zib the last 3 years as a Ranger .90, 1.32, & .89 (1.14 ppg after his first 15 COVID games). Why should I care about his numbers on HISTORICALLY bad Sens team? Also, don't need to trade for him.

You're debating against yourself about the money and trade aspect.

If you watch Eichel and think, "yup, Strome is better", then I don't know what to tell you. Eye test doesn't suggest that. Stats don't suggest that. Eichel is a budding Superstar in the league. He's 3 years younger than Strome and 4 years younger than Mika. He could play with Panarin, or Lafreniere, or Kakko, or Fox on the PP, or Mika on the PP -- all better than anything Buffalo has had in 10 years.

Money is a legitimate worry. Skill isn't. You're drinking RC Cola and pretending it's Coke.

Eichel isn't replacing Strome. Is it really an argument to say that bringing in a #1 center to replace your #2 center is an upgrade? Of course it's an upgrade, but it isn't financially viable.

This is literally what the first post of this argument was about...

Yes + when you have a center scoring at .85 ppg over the past two seasons and you want to swap him for a center scoring at .95 ppg, you have to question whether or not it's a big upgrade. That's the question. It's not "is Strome better than Eichel?" - it's "is Eichel (insert multiple pieces) better than Strome?

And despite how reductive you're making this conversation, it's a fair question to ask.

I don’t know, rumors today are that Buffalo wouldn’t allow Eichel to have surgery on his neck. And that was the last straw for him and he wants out. But the question then becomes is how bad is his injury and will it become a recurring thing. It seems like at best whomever gets him will be paying him to sit out the beginning of the year while he recovers for surgery should he need to have it.

Excerpt from the Athletic:

After a few explosive media availabilities with Rasmus Ristolainen, Sam Reinhart, and others this morning, Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel poured some gas on the offseason hot stove.

The star forward not only left open the idea of a trade, but suggested to reporters including John Vogl of The Athletic that he and the Sabres cannot agree on the best way to treat his neck injury. Eichel suffered a herniated disk and explained that it’s not only up to him on whether to have surgery:

It doesn’t work like that. I wish. …I’m under contract with this team and they definitely hold a lot of cards on what I can and can’t do.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cost to acquire Eichel is an issue.

But so is the softness of your 2 and/or 3 C.

If Zibanejad is back to playing hockey, this isnt the upgrade you make, especially at the expense of a top draft pick/prospect.

IF you dont think Zibanejad is a 1C, you make the move. Simple. You can't risk all the talent on this team to not make the move, whether is Zibanejad getting moved or someone else. You CANT waste another team and not go for it.

Jeff Skinner was a muti-time 30 goal scorer before going to Buf and scoring 40. You mean to tell me another player in that spot would have scored more?

Kane's time in Buf: 20 goals in 65 games and 20 goals in 61. That's a turd?

Taylor Hall has 12 points in 15 games playing along side Krejci, maybe Eichel is the turd?

The point is Eichel has had decent enough linemates.

That's what I was going to say. They've tried. They've brought guys in. Skinner, O'Reilly, Kane, Johansson, Ristolainen, Dahlin, McCabe, Hutton, Ullmark, Simmonds, Okposo, Montour, Sheary, Mittlestat, Reinhardt, Berglund, Nylander, Myers, Lehner, Gionta.... Its been a turnstile of decent players that have come and gone. Maybe he's the problem?

If they could keep Zibanejad and Strome while affording Eichel, I'd go for it . See which of the three is the keepers and move one at the deadline or move Zib to the wing.

For what he is going to cost the team cap wise, you’d have to pass. There is no way they could afford to pay anyone after bringing him in here, and they are going to have a lot of guys to re-sign over the next couple of years. Hard pass for me on him, as good as he is.

No no no no no. Makes zero sense when we have zibanejad. What we need is to have less on Zibys plate in terms of pk and trying to be the end all be all leadership and allow more freshness and focus. Get a few bottom 6 that’ll do the dirty work and have some been there done that experience, can win a faceoff and let Ziby just be Ziby.

No no no no no. Makes zero sense when we have zibanejad. What we need is to have less on Zibys plate in terms of pk and trying to be the end all be all leadership and allow more freshness and focus. Get a few bottom 6 that’ll do the dirty work and have some been there done that experience, can win a faceoff and let Ziby just be Ziby.

A true two-way 2C would be ideal honestly

It's a no from me too. Lock up Zib and use the pieces you would trade for Eichel to go get the parts to fill in the bottom six'ish with more skill and toughness. Rather than plugging those holes with short term guys who's best days may be long gone.

I don’t believe the Rangers have any intention of replacing Mika Zibanejad with Jack Eichel next season. It is possible they could add Eichel, whose relationship with the Sabres represents a case study of next-level dysfunction, but no one should make that assumption, either.

The Blueshirts need to import a veteran leader with a track record of NHL team success. There was a reason, former GM Neil Smith said back in the day, that he traded for Oilers and not Sharks. Not only hasn’t one player on the roster won the Stanley Cup, Chris Kreider and Jacob Trouba (once as a Jet) are the only guys who have even played in the conference finals.

The mystery is how the Rangers would be able to accommodate Eichel’s $10 million cap hit on a contract that runs through 2025-26 in concert with a Zibanejad extension that surely would be worth no less than $8 million per?

How much closer to a championship would the Rangers be with a hypothetical annual expenditure of $18 million on their two top centers if they are Eichel and Zibanejad?

Zibanejad is going to be 29 by the time his next contract kicks in. The Rangers would likely want to hold the line at a five-year term. If that is not acceptable to Zibanejad, if he demands the same seven years the club awarded equivalent-age Kreider last year, it probably won’t fly.

There is mutual interest in extending the relationship. It will be on both parties to make it work. And then it will be on the Rangers to fortify the top of the depth chart so that Zibanejad can thrive.

Would that feature the acquisition of Eichel? I’m pretty skeptical about that being the way to go.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/skeptical-ny-rangers-will-trade-for-sabres-jack-eichel/

Not so sure Zibanejad is a better player. He's baby shit soft and can't win a faceoff. I would say they are comparable with Eichel having the higher upside/value because of age and he's locked into a contract. Neither of them have played on a winning team or have any winning pedigree. Finally Zibanejad looks like a slob who badly needs a haircut/shave and less highlights to be taken seriously as any kind of leader. (in a nutshell Eurotrash)

Zibanejad has scored 65 goals and 123 points in the last 113 games he's played - this isn't a trash thing. There's a huge element of "the grass is always greener on the other side" here because Eichel isn't exactly tough either, and he's not exactly good at faceoffs either.

It's kind of a wash aside from the uncertainty of the contract around Zib, whereas Eichel is locked in at a real high number.

The obvious suitor is the Rangers, who made a legit pitch one year ago. If they want to do it, they definitely can. They weren’t willing to do a first-rounder last fall — it was No. 1 overall — but unless they win the lottery back-to-back, that’ll be an option this time around. No GM will be more comfortable with Eichel’s representatives, Peter Fish and Peter Donatelli, than Chris Drury, who was their client when he played.

Big question: Will Buffalo want to send him there? Bigger question: If the Rangers make the best offer, can the Sabres afford to say no?

You have to think Boston tries, but do they have the pieces? No one lusts after a centre more than Columbus, but, again, do they have what Buffalo wants? Philadelphia could do it. Anaheim was in on Pierre-Luc Dubois, and they have the pieces. Los Angeles certainly can. It doesn’t make sense for them, but Ottawa could, too. So could Montreal. There’s going to be a serious suitor we don’t think of.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-caused-disconnect-eichel-sabres/

https://theathletic.com/2580694/2021/05/11/lebrun-what-nhl-executives-are-saying-about-a-potential-jack-eichel-sweepstakes/

Tough spot for Buffalo. Your team is somewhat in disarray and your marquee player, who has had a short, substandard, injury-riddled year and NOW wants out? They’re not dealing from a position of strength. It’s somewhat similar to the situation they were in with Ryan O’Reilly.

The Sabres need to get a couple of established, quality players in return as well. I could see this being a 5-7 piece deal depending on what is coming back in return.

maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul. Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way.

has to start with a first-round pick, a player and a prospect I would think but again this is not an easy situation for anyone. When it gets this public leverage gets diminished.

Few really interesting takes here on what Eichel could really cost.

Interesting..."maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul. Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way."

Maybe instead of Buf taking a bad contract they do some retention??

Precedent on long term retention: Tor signed Kessel for 8 years @ $8m per and traded him one year into the deal with 15% retention ($1.2m)...

Soooo...

Rangers get Eichel w/Buf retaining 20% ($2m) for Buch, Chytil, Jones, NYR '21 1st, and BUF '21 3rd

With the retention you could try to swing Zib/Eichel for $16-17m as opposed to Zib/Strome for $14-15m

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

Kreider - Vet UFA - Pajuniemi (because ELC)

Vet UFA - Barron - Blackwell

Now I'm getting interested if Eichel's AAV isn't $10m