• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Interesting..."maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul. Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way."

Maybe instead of Buf taking a bad contract they do some retention??

Precedent on long term retention: Tor signed Kessel for 8 years @ $8m per and traded him one year into the deal with 15% retention ($1.2m)...

Soooo...

Rangers get Eichel w/Buf retaining 20% ($2m) for Buch, Chytil, Jones, NYR '21 1st, and BUF '21 3rd

With the retention you could try to swing Zib/Eichel for $16-17m as opposed to Zib/Strome for $14-15m

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

Kreider - Vet UFA - Pajuniemi (because ELC)

Vet UFA - Barron - Blackwell

Now I'm getting interested if Eichel's AAV isn't $10m

If they pay 4+ mil of his yearly AAV, which I highly doubt, then I would look at this as viable.

Would still suck to give up those prospects though.

Interesting..."maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul. Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way."

Precedent on long term retention: Tor signed Kessel for 8 years @ $8m per and traded him one year into the deal with 15% retention ($1.2m)...

Soooo...

Rangers get Eichel w/Buf retaining 20% ($2m) for Buch, Chytil, Jones, NYR '21 1st, and BUF '21 3rd

With the retention you could try to swing Zib/Eichel for $16-17m as opposed to Zib/Strome for $14-15m

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

And we're still the softest team in the league, still can't win a face-off and now have no RW depth. Eichel makes no sense for this team at all. Strome is already a point per Game Center playing with Panarin, so what is the point? Get a marginal improvement at center and weaken everything else for it.

It would, but there's no room for all of them anyway. If you throw in another prospect might be able to get the retention higher.

Buch, this years first round pick, this years second round pick,Jones, Hajek (Humor me), Gauthier and another prospect that isnt kakko, laf, miller, lundqvist, Schneider, or krav.

Probably not enough?

And we're still the softest team in the league, still can't win a face-off and now have no RW depth. Eichel makes no sense for this team at all. Strome is already a point per Game Center playing with Panarin, so what is the point? Get a marginal improvement at center and weaken everything else for it.

Guess you chose not to fill in the UFA spots...

Eichel is a marginal improvement over Zib. Eichel is much better than Strome.

Strome has been great, but .84 & .88 ppg is not a point per game player. Eichel's last two full seasons were 1.06 & 1.15 ppg. The issue is the money. To resign Strome you're looking at $6-7m. If you can get Eichel at $7-8m after retention it's a no brainer.

Guess you chose not to fill in the UFA spots...

Eichel is a marginal improvement over Zib. Eichel is much better than Strome.

Strome has been great, but .84 & .88 ppg is not a point per game player. Eichel's last two full seasons were 1.06 & 1.15 ppg. The issue is the money. To resign Strome you're looking at $6-7m. If you can get Eichel at $7-8m after retention it's a no brainer.

That isn't gonna happen without giving up way too much. Zib is a better player than Eichel and it's not that close. He's a two way player and a better scorer. 41 goals in 57 games last season. Eichel has not scored 40 ever and only topped 30 once. Then Mika had covid and went off again the second half this year once he finally recovered. Eichel has only played 70 games twice in 6 years. I'll take Strome over Eichel at $2 mil less or $4 mil less or whatever it is because they are both just centers that don't bring much other than offense. At least with Strome we save money and don't have to trade a bunch of valuable pieces.

If we are going to make moves this offseason it should be for something we lack, not for something that is already a strength. Add toughness, add size, add faceoff wins. Eichel would be such a stupid move and even most of the Rangers writers seem to see that pretty clearly.

• Like 2

How does Eichel solve our lack of grit? Plus have you guys even looked at our cap and how he would fit. Take a look at Larry Brooks article from 05/10 titled: Rangers salary cap outlook after 1st deal of the off season. Buyout salaries, entry level contract bonuses, 6 restricted free agents etc...

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Soooo...

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Laf - Eichel - Kravtsov

2 things - do you really think that's enough for Eichel? (Would you trade Panarin for that package?)

And they should not retain on Eichel. Maybe a late-season rental, but you can not retain cap on a franchise player for 5 more seasons.

I don't disagree with any of the reasoning here at all. But, why do I get the feeling that it's probably going to happen anyway? lol

I do too because my biggest fear is Drury gets Eichel because he's from BU, just like Drury keeps Quinn because he's from BU and the whole organization is just screwed and heading in the wrong direction over something stupid. Whether he makes a coaching change or not will tell a lot about his priorities and whether or not he has bias in that way. Quinn should clearly be done.

I do too because my biggest fear is Drury gets Eichel because he's from BU, just like Drury keeps Quinn because he's from BU and the whole organization is just screwed and heading in the wrong direction over something stupid. Whether he makes a coaching change or not will tell a lot about his priorities and whether or not he has bias in that way. Quinn should clearly be done.

I completely forgot about the BU connection. That increases my fears. lol Plus, the fear of a looming Dolan wanting the playoffs immediately and you have a possible nightmare scenario.

And now I'm reading in the other thread that this disc injury is something that Eichel may never fully recover from? After 2 goals in 21 games this season? Yeah no thanks for sure. Stay far away.

Yeah, reading how bad that could be, no thanks. I wouldn't even consider trading assets for him even without this issue. Ticking time bomb on the health side.

The more I read through, the more I keep wondering how Eichel gets us any closer to being a Cup contending, playoff built team.

I'd save all this money and go for either of the Tkaczuk boys, a center built in the mold of Getzlaf/Lucic, and very possibly even a Reaves-type for the 4th line.

Eichel is a very skilled player, no doubt....but I don't think that he should be on the shopping list for us going forward. I think our needs have changed since the beginning of the season.

If all it costed was Strome, one of Kreider/Buch, Chytil and a 1st I'd do it. But I don't think Buffalo would accept that. Why choose between Zibanejad and Eichel when you could just play both? No clue how we'd afford it either.

Just want to highlight this because it's absolute horse shit comment.

Not surprising from you, a person who contributes less than nothing to this board.

Ok. The team is as soft as any to ever play in this league and you have no issue with one of the core guys being more interested in being a fashion statement than a hockey player. It was poorly worded for sure. This team is sorely lacking in the leadership department. That is a direct problem with their core.

Eichel is probably not the answer but I do think he's being underrated here. I don't see how they can possibly fit him here without Zib, Kreider, Trouba or Panarin being moved. I believe only Zib is without a NTC so obviously it would be him. I don't see really see enough of an upgrade there to be worth the cost to acquire him. I do think he's better than Zib but only marginally.

If we can agree that the cost of trading for either of the Tkachuk brothers would cost the same as Eichel, then why not go after one of them instead.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree 100% but we know Eichel is available. The flames are possibly in tear down/explosion mode. Brady seems like a hard no. Right? Why would they ever move Brady?

I agree 100% but we know Eichel is available. The flames are possibly in tear down/explosion mode. Brady seems like a hard no. Right? Why would they ever move Brady?

Any chance at Brady would likely be through an offer sheet. He's an RFA this summer. We all know how unlikely offer sheets are, though.

It is really, really hard to turn down a 24 year old franchise center with the talent Eichel has. As a Ranger fan, it is really hard to see him available and to say “pass” when it comes to him. I love him as a player.

That being said, when you look at the makeup of this roster, when you look at our needs, when you look at what it would likely cost to bring him in both asset wise and then to support his cap hit, it probably just isn’t the right move at the right time.

Our issue hasn’t been scoring goals. We have enough talent in our top-6. By adding more to it, thus pushing some of the current members of that group either down the peg or out the door, isn’t what we need IMO.

What we need are grizzled vets in the bottom-6 that can help multiply our identity. We already know our top-6, on certain nights, can run a team out of the building with their skill. But, as insurance, on nights and against teams that are defending our skill, we need some help from our bottom-6 from guys who can get in the ugly areas, create chances, stand up for our finesse players and ultimately score some goals too.

By no means am I saying piss off to the potential of an Eichel trade. Time will tell what happens with him and that situation in Buffalo. He is a great player. But this isn’t about building a fantasy team; it’s about building a complete team. I love the talent in our top-6, and it will only improve moving forward because I truly believe Lafreniere is going to bust out big time. He’s all-world.

The big name, big talent players we have are more than enough. What we need is sandpaper, grit and experience to supplement that talent pool in order to take the next step. I’d rather see us spend the money available on things we desperately need as opposed to pouring a lot into another top flight forward who can score; we already have that.

• Like 2

Any chance at Brady would likely be through an offer sheet. He's an RFA this summer. We all know how unlikely offer sheets are, though.

I think Matthew is more likely than Brady if only because the Flames are like....this close to complete meltdown.

It is really, really hard to turn down a 24 year old franchise center with the talent Eichel has. As a Ranger fan, it is really hard to see him available and to say “pass” when it comes to him. I love him as a player.

That being said, when you look at the makeup of this roster, when you look at our needs, when you look at what it would likely cost to bring him in both asset wise and then to support his cap hit, it probably just isn’t the right move at the right time.

Our issue hasn’t been scoring goals. We have enough talent in our top-6. By adding more to it, thus pushing some of the current members of that group either down the peg or out the door, isn’t what we need IMO.

What we need are grizzled vets in the bottom-6 that can help multiply our identity. We already know our top-6, on certain nights, can run a team out of the building with their skill. But, as insurance, on nights and against teams that are defending our skill, we need some help from our bottom-6 from guys who can get in the ugly areas, create chances, stand up for our finesse players and ultimately score some goals too.

By no means am I saying piss off to the potential of an Eichel trade. Time will tell what happens with him and that situation in Buffalo. He is a great player. But this isn’t about building a fantasy team; it’s about building a complete team. I love the talent in our top-6, and it will only improve moving forward because I truly believe Lafreniere is going to bust out big time. He’s all-world.

The big name, big talent players we have are more than enough. What we need is sandpaper, grit and experience to supplement that talent pool in order to take the next step. I’d rather see us spend the money available on things we desperately need as opposed to pouring a lot into another top flight forward who can score; we already have that.

I mean if Sather is back in the saddle as the Evil Emperor playing puppet master to Drury then it's not out of the question to do both star center AND grit vets. Sather's propensity to be fast and loose with the checkbook is second to none. If Yyou move some money out to get Eichel then there's no reason you can't get some grizzled vets at bargain prices like the leafs did.