• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

To circle back to the thread Q for just a second; Do we really want Eichel with everything we will have to give up?

I am not convinced it would be a good idea.

Define everything.

Do I want Eichel for Strome, Kravstov, Schneider and a 1st? Yes.

Do I want Eichel for Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, and a 1st? No.

Just depends, you know?

Am I the only one that thinks we're kind of good at center so long as Zibanejad is returning to form? Strome has been great as our 2nd line center for the second season in a row (aka not a fluke, also has done really well without Panarin, another knock people had on him) and Chytil has shown some good stuff as well. Not saying Eichel isn't a huge improvement, just that the deal has to be too good for us to pass up to justify it imo. I like our centers.
  • Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks we're kind of good at center so long as Zibanejad is returning to form? Strome has been great as our 2nd line center for the second season in a row (aka not a fluke, also has done really well without Panarin, another knock people had on him) and Chytil has shown some good stuff as well. Not saying Eichel isn't a huge improvement, just that the deal has to be too good for us to pass up to justify it imo. I like our centers.

I think you’re onto something. I’ve said stay the course many times so you’re not alone. There is no question that Eichel is a huge upgrade at C but at the same time downgrades depth. Or at least it does when you realize cap wise we have to trade real pieces to add a 10m cap hit. Our 2c Is Strome and he paces close to 70 points this season and last. Ziby is having a bad year but if he came around you are talking a great 1c. Neither are Eichel but considering you lose one to afford Eichel among other real pieces, I don’t see a gigantic leap personally in terms of getting us to the next level depth wise.

When you look around the league, the team who have success had players on cap friendly deals ... Not ELCs, people took less to play there.

Pens: Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz took less.

Hawks: Keith

Avs: MacKinnon

TB: Point took a bridge

Boston: They all take less

You look at these teams where 2, 3, 4 guys all have to get their max deal and the team doesn't win shit. Toronto, Edmonton, etc.

You have Panarin at 11+, then you want Eichel at 10, Trouba at 8... Then others need to get paid and no point having Eichel without Zib... You're in the same boat.

I really don't see the point in trading for Eichel right now with a flat cap.

I also laugh at the continuing narrative that the Rangers need a 2C while all Strome does is put up points, PK, do what whatever he's asked on the ice, off the ice do daily press scrums.

2C is not a hole on this team. The positions where we need more are 1C, 2RW, G, and whatever the fuck it is that Trouba does. Improve there, get more from Laf, rule the world.

• Like 1

I think Strome has been even better this year, at least it seems that way. He got off to a bit of a sluggish start putting up points. You factor that in, and he's been almost a point per game player this season. He's also managed to produce without Panarin. Eichel is still an upgrade offensively, though. But, yeah, 2C isn't a really huge hole like those other positions are. Though, if they do get him, I won't really complain. lol I have a feeling they're going to and also have a feeling that Gorton may overpay to get him, but I hope not.

*Gorton caught smoking one of Sather’s cigars he left in the desk.*

“Man these are very different from the Cohibas I’m used to.”

*Not a Cohiba, it’s a huge blunt.”

Gorton picks up phone, “Eichel? Hell yeah we’re in! Whatever you want man...and I’ve got Dolan’s checkbook right here.”

*laughs then cough, cough, cough*

Which begs the question - is the difference between Eichel and Zibanejad really, figure, 2 million dollars and four 1st round caliber talents? I'm struggling to make that case.

No. If this is the end plan I'd be against it. However, I think Eichel replaces Zibanejad as #1C, and Zibanejad replaces Strome as #2C.

No. If this is the end plan I'd be against it. However, I think Eichel replaces Zibanejad as #1C, and Zibanejad replaces Strome as #2C.

Maybe, but that depends entirely on what the price point for Zibanejad as 2C is. With Strome, you know you can get 60-70 points at under $5 million. I'm not sure the same can be said of Zibanejad when he's due up.

When you look around the league, the team who have success had players on cap friendly deals ... Not ELCs, people took less to play there.

You look at these teams where 2, 3, 4 guys all have to get their max deal and the team doesn't win shit. Toronto, Edmonton, etc.

You have Panarin at 11+, then you want Eichel at 10, Trouba at 8... Then others need to get paid and no point having Eichel without Zib... You're in the same boat.

I also laugh at the continuing narrative that the Rangers need a 2C while all Strome does is put up points, PK, do what whatever he's asked on the ice, off the ice do daily press scrums.

2C is not a hole on this team. The positions where we need more are 1C, 2RW, G, and whatever the fuck it is that Trouba does. Improve there, get more from Laf, rule the world.

Under the premise that the Rangers dump Zibanejad in order to get Eichel, I don't disagree with your assessment. I am inclined to agree that 2C is not a current issue. Strome has taken a big step forward. However, getting Eichel to fill 1C while keeping Zibanejad to run 2C changes the equation.

Maybe, but that depends entirely on what the price point for Zibanejad as 2C is. With Strome, you know you can get 60-70 points at under $5 million. I'm not sure the same can be said of Zibanejad when he's due up.

For one more season. He'll want 7M+ on his next deal. You giving it to him?

Yeah, Eichel would be replacing Zibanejad, not Strome.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was under the impression that Eichel was going to push Zibby down to #2 as well.

If Eichel is to replace Zibby, I'm not so sure I'm down for that one.

On the other hand, I gotta say I've really taken a liking to Strome's game improvement this season. He's been good!!! Very Good! :thumbs:

I was under the impression that Eichel was going to push Zibby down to #2 as well.

If Eichel is to replace Zibby, I'm not so sure I'm down for that one.

On the other hand, I gotta say I've really taken a liking to Strome's game improvement this season. He's been good!!! Very Good! :thumbs:

Sure, if you can get Zib to agree to take a lesser role and money in UFA... Not like 10 other teams couldn't use a #1C LOL.

Not gonna happen. You trade for Eichel this summer, you can kiss Zib buh bye.

For one more season. He'll want 7M+ on his next deal. You giving it to him?

Yeah, I guess that's probably accurate, but I can't answer honestly without knowing what Zibanejad's value is, you know? Like, is Zibanejad coming in at $9 or $10 million, too? If so, there's probably less risk in giving Strome $7 million than Zibanejad $10 million when you already have Eichel at $10 million and Trouba and Panarin. You get into Leafs territory immediately, and it becomes damn near impossible to sign anyone else.

Pretty spot on. Ziby is more of a problem than Strome thanks to this years debacle. I think that helps us though. It might let Ziby accept a tad less dollar wise and maybe more term and good faith since we stuck by his side. I’d still like that more than I’d like bringing in a 10m cap hit tearing down a lot. And if Ziby takes slightly less, that trickles into Strome as well and cap wise we should be fine for the 3-4 year range right into where the cap is less of a problem and things are more “normal.”

What is Eichel's demeanor? Was he a leader in his earlier career in junior leagues and such? We need some leadership and accountability and if he can provide that jolt in the locker room then I 100% go with Eichel over Zib.

Well he’s captain of the Sabres and we see how that’s going. I’m sure he’s a fine leader in his own way but he wouldn’t come here at 24-25 years old and just start leading a new locker room regardless.

Sure, if you can get Zib to agree to take a lesser role and money in UFA... Not like 10 other teams couldn't use a #1C LOL.

Not gonna happen. You trade for Eichel this summer, you can kiss Zib buh bye.

True that, Pete! I keep looking at all that dead cap space that's falling off after this season...but that loot runs dry quick with all these kids coming off ELC's!!!

That's exactly where I'm at with this. Strome has proven last year was not a fluke or solely the result of playing with Panarin. He IS the 2c and a damn good one so there's no hole there unless you deal him or don't re-sign him. All they need is Zibanejad to return to form fully and then I really like our centers.

I wouldn't close the door on the idea of Eichel though, if the Rangers can completely win that trade and get Eichel over here without losing much it's hard to dismiss that. And Eichel could perform far better here than he has in Buffalo so I think that potential is there. But like you said it's only worth it if they're keeping Zibanejad for a nasty 1-2 punch and the cap costs of that would tie them up more than even a re-signed Zibanejad and Strome.

I think this team is actually insanely good already as it is...on paper. Need Laf and Kakko to play more to their potential which we have some time to allow that to happen. Even IF they somehow both were busts I still think the team will be great for the near future. Also need some more of those defensive prospects coming up and replacing Smith and maybe Hajek, although they're doing fine. Trouba is a problem that I hope is solved by him stepping up and earning that terrible contract.

What is Eichel's demeanor? Was he a leader in his earlier career in junior leagues and such? We need some leadership and accountability and if he can provide that jolt in the locker room then I 100% go with Eichel over Zib.

He's not a leader. Look how bad Buffalo is with him as their star. They don't even have any team effort. He would be a massive mistake.