• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

fletch

Bob McKenzie debunked all this actually this week on TSN radio. Said he’s “quiet” and “to himself” but a good person. Also said reports of his teammates not liking him is false.

I know Bob is Bob, but when 5 people (especially guys closer to their teams) say black and Bob says white...I don't go white. Where there's smoke there's fire. While it may be true that Hamilton is a good kid, if your teammates don't like you, then they don't like you and you can't have that in the room.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Bob is Bob, but when 5 people (especially guys closer to their teams) say black and Bob says white...I don't go white. Where there's smoke there's fire. While it may be true that Hamilton is a good kid, if your teammates don't like you, then they don't like you and you can't have that in the room.

Yea, this is kind of where I fall.

There was that whole museum story in Calgary and everyone said CGY was dumb for dumping him because of that. But, regardless of if Hamilton is a good guy or not, if he doesn't fit, he doesn't fit.

I suspect he originally shopped them and did not engage in talks to gain some leverage and gauge the market. Probably didn't work. Given that these guys have mentally prepared themselves to leave New York, it may be harder to sign them now. A lot of people have been saying that trading them would turn a 2-3 rebuild into a 5 year rebuild, and I think that may have made an impression on Gorton.

We’ll find out soon enough. Gorton gives me zero confidence. He’s overplayed his hand at almost every turn when trading players.

I have to say it too. He reminds me of the typical masshole meathead Worcester rat that infested my college umass. It means nothing but he just comes off way less than intelligent and by no means the mastermind of any future success. Then again bill Belichick pretty comes across the same way.

We?ll find out soon enough. Gorton gives me zero confidence. He?s overplayed his hand at almost every turn when trading players.

I have to say it too. He reminds me of the typical masshole meathead Worcester rat that infested my college umass. It means nothing but he just comes off way less than intelligent and by no means the mastermind of any future success. Then again bill Belichick pretty comes across the same way.

What exactly did Gorton do or not do that he was supposed to do differently? The only thing I can think of is that Zuccarello probably should have been traded last year, but maybe the market just wasn't strong for him. And maybe it isn't strong now either.

The McDonagh deal was good, and avoided a disastrous JT Miller contract. The Nash deal was good. The Grabner deal was fine. The 2018 draft to this point looks like a pretty damn good one.

The McDonagh deal was good

With his two goals tonight (one an empty netter), Namestnikov has 8 goals and 15 assists in 72 games with the Rangers. He was considered good enough to be playing on the Bolts first line. Hajek is 0-5-5 -23 in Hartford and is considered to be having a very disappointing season. Gorton was all giddy about Hajek. It's too early to call it a bad trade, but you can't call it "good" when the two biggest parts of the return have been disappointing after a year.

I don't think it's necessarily accurate to describe Namestnikov as a key piece of that trade. Imo the keys to moving McDonagh was the 1st round pick, Howden and Hajek. I agree that Hajek has to turn into a player for that trade to be considered a success however.

Also;

6. Kevin Hayes, Rangers – There is a perception out there that the market on Hayes is a bit quiet right now and that may have everything to do with some of the bigger names out there adding uncertainty. Even so, there are multiple teams that are legitimately interested in Hayes, it just might take a Duchene or Stone trade to happen first to get to the finish line.

9. Mats Zuccarello, Rangers – Zuccarello had a big January (13 points in 11 games) and followed it up with a strong start to February with seven points through six games. As a result, interest here is strong and it’s realistic that the Rangers get a similar return for Zuccarello that they did on Michael Grabner last year when they sent Grabner to the Devils for a second-round pick and 20-year-old defenseman Yegor Rykov.

https://theathletic.com/820177/2019/02/15/nhl-trade-board-2-0-updates-on-top-20-players-who-could-move-before-the-deadline/

If the Hayes we would re-sign is the Hayes that we see this year, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm concerned that the Hayes that has the big contract loses interest in keeping his diet in check and starts looking like a disinterested Hayes. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they resigned him but I still think that if you can get a #1 and a real good prospect you have to deal him.

One stop shopping.

How about Hayes, Georgiev, McQuaid for Hamilton, Mrazek.

Carolina unloads what looks like a problem player with a decent cap hit in Hamilton, a somewhat failed signing for their goaltending need, and add a needed 2nd line center, semi decent young and rolling goalie and a stay at home D man.

With the trade Carolina could maybe jump ahead of the wild card teams and maybe even challenge for the division.

They have the cap space to resign Hayes too. So maybe give them the chance to talk to his agent. They would totally give him what he wants and overpay him. If he resigns, maybe the Rangers get a conditional 3rd?

Resigning Hayes would not be a "horrible move".

Resigning/keeping all of Hayes, Zucc, Fast, Krieder (heyo 4 goals in 2019, that's 4 in 20 games, a 16 goal per 82 pace!), Buch would be.

They should resign Hayes. I am far more worried about the Rangers using a ton of cap space to resign Kreider at 29 years old next year than Hayes at 27 this year.

Kreider is a master of inconsistency. He is a good player, but never lived up to potential. Years ago I thought he would be a perennial 40 goal guy with that size and speed. Trade him to a team that still thinks that

With his two goals tonight (one an empty netter), Namestnikov has 8 goals and 15 assists in 72 games with the Rangers. He was considered good enough to be playing on the Bolts first line. Hajek is 0-5-5 -23 in Hartford and is considered to be having a very disappointing season. Gorton was all giddy about Hajek. It's too early to call it a bad trade, but you can't call it "good" when the two biggest parts of the return have been disappointing after a year.

Conveniently left off a 2018 1st, the conditional 2019 1st/2nd, and Howden. I am not declaring a winner, just that he did well in the amount of pieces he got for McDonagh.

T

They should resign Hayes. I am far more worried about the Rangers using a ton of cap space to resign Kreider at 29 years old next year than Hayes at 27 this year.

Kreider is a master of inconsistency. He is a good player, but never lived up to potential. Years ago I thought he would be a perennial 40 goal guy with that size and speed. Trade him to a team that still thinks that

And Hayes isnt?

What exactly did Gorton do or not do that he was supposed to do differently? The only thing I can think of is that Zuccarello probably should have been traded last year, but maybe the market just wasn't strong for him. And maybe it isn't strong now either.

The McDonagh deal was good, and avoided a disastrous JT Miller contract. The Nash deal was good. The Grabner deal was fine. The 2018 draft to this point looks like a pretty damn good one.

I was more talking his entire resume. Talbot, hagelin, and Stepan were all him over playing his hand. The Nash and grabner deals were good ones. The McDonough trade is far from a win and he wasn’t forced to move him last year he still had a year left. Think about McDonough being available at this deadline. All the rentals are forwards, there isn’t one defenseman. Last year he was competing with Karlsson being available and that hindered the McDonough value. Hindsight is 20/20 but in most cases it seems he misreads the value and time to get the best value. Even starting negotiating now ten days out on new contracts for Hayes and zucc. There agents know that Gorton can’t lose them for nothing. If the market isn’t great Gorton maybe choosing paying more than he wants in cash and term or trading two important pieces for questionable returns. We’ll see what happens but to me anyway signing them shouldn’t be because the trade returns weren’t great. It should be because they are viewed as key pieces to what’s to come. Again it could be postering, I hope so.

What's disastrous about JT Miller's contract? He's a 50 point player making $5.2. We currently have the guy who "replaced" him making $4 to pace 25 or so points?

What's disastrous about JT Miller's contract? He's a 50 point player making $5.2. We currently have the guy who "replaced" him making $4 to pace 25 or so points?

I never said Namestnikov's contract was good, but at least it isn't 5 years long. Also, Namestnikov was on a 58 point pace with Tampa last year. Context matters.

Archived