• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

fletch

Far too early to give up on Andersson imo.

"Give up on," and "sell on," are not interchangeable. The Rangers gave up on Evgeny Grachev and Dylan McIlrath. If they deal Andersson now, they won't be tapping out due to exhaustion. They'll be looking to get out ahead on a guy who's had a number of false starts with the team since being drafted.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Give up on," and "sell on," are not interchangeable. The Rangers gave up on Evgeny Grachev and Dylan McIlrath. If they deal Andersson now, they won't be tapping out due to exhaustion. They'll be looking to get out ahead on a guy who's had a number of false starts with the team since being drafted.

Well, unless someone comes in with an offer they can't refuse they'll be dealing him because they no longer believe he is the player they drafted at #7.

That is more or less the same as giving up on him in my book.

I also agree with Future that it is unlikely there is any value in dealing him right now.

I could be about it - but I doubt you'll get value for him. You'd be selling low, even if he still has the shine of his draft status.

I mean, maybe, but that's kind of the point. If the bottom falls out a la McIlrath, you won't be able to sell, period.

I mean, maybe, but that's kind of the point. If the bottom falls out a la McIlrath, you won't be able to sell, period.

McIlrath got you a borderline NHL player. That's all you'd get for Lias right now. Nobody's giving you a premium talent for him.

McIlrath got you a borderline NHL player. That's all you'd get for Lias right now. Nobody's giving you a premium talent for him.

Yes, six years after he was taken tenth overall. If they moved him in 2011-12, you still think he's only getting Steven Kampfer and a conditional pick? I don't. GMs take on reclamation projects that aren't too far damaged, and change-of-scenery deals all the fucking time. They still do.

That same year, Grachev (drafted three years prior) got flipped (because he was rapidly approaching bust) for a third to STL, Nik Grossmann got flipped for a 2nd and 3rd, Hal Gill got a 2nd and two prospects, and Kyle Quincey got a 1st and a prospect.

Yes, six years after he was taken tenth overall. If they moved him in 2011-12, you still think he's only getting Steven Kampfer and a conditional pick? I don't. GMs take on reclamation projects that aren't too far damaged, and change-of-scenery deals all the fucking time. They still do.

That same year, Grachev (drafted three years prior) got flipped (because he was rapidly approaching bust) for a third to STL, Nik Grossmann got flipped for a 2nd and 3rd, Hal Gill got a 2nd and two prospects, and Kyle Quincey got a 1st and a prospect.

First of all, Grossmann, Gil and Quincey were all actual NHL players themselves. Grachev got traded for a 3rd....which is a borderline NHLer.

Second of all, no, I don't think McI would have gotten much more than he did. He was drafted in 2010, then had a major knee injury/surgery in 2011 that cost him the 11-12 season. Nobody was going to trade for a guy coming right off of that injury, and the Rangers would have been dumb to cut bait after that injury anyways. Then, he never blew teams away in the AHL to rebuild that value. The return they got was the same they would have gotten in 2013.

He's not on the market, but it is interesting to think what Andersson would bring in a trade right now in terms of a pick. My guess is a late first rounder (25+) or early second rounder. That means his development has not gone as hoped.

He's not on the market, but it is interesting to think what Andersson would bring in a trade right now in terms of a pick. My guess is a late first rounder (25+) or early second rounder. That means his development has not gone as hoped.

This is the thought process of fans that have never seen a rebuild.

Check out statistics of recent "late round picks". It's mostly miss, rarely hit.

People think getting a top 10 pick means someones going to come in and immediately turn the team into a contender. That's extremely unrealistic.

Look at the stats of other recently drafted players. He's right there were he should be, honestly. Most of the time you dont even see guys get NHL times their early in their careers. WE just want more.

Check out statistics of recent "late round picks". It's mostly miss, rarely hit.

People think getting a top 10 pick means someones going to come in and immediately turn the team into a contender. That's extremely unrealistic.

Look at the stats of other recently drafted players. He's right there were he should be, honestly. Most of the time you dont even see guys get NHL times their early in their careers. WE just want more.

Yup. Everyone wants to draft the next Conner McDavid. It’s not realistic. If Andersson becomes a regular NHL player it’ll be a success. You just hope that one of these firsts become more than that.

Yup. Everyone wants to draft the next Conner McDavid. It’s not realistic. If Andersson becomes a regular NHL player it’ll be a success. You just hope that one of these firsts become more than that.

I think it's less because they expect Connor McDavid and more because they said he was more NHL ready than anyone else, and they picked him because of that and not because of his potential ceiling.

I think it's less because they expect Connor McDavid and more because they said he was more NHL ready than anyone else, and they picked him because of that and not because of his potential ceiling.

But he’s producing as much as the “high ceiling” players in the AHL while exhibiting other aspects of his game those players lack

If you look at the players in that draft, there's no one who was really picked after him that's doing anything right now.

It's just a dog of a draft after the top 5 or so. We just missed the cutoff, it's the story of the Rangers.

Maybe, but I think it’s still too early to determine. We got spoiled with 2-3 drafts where players came in and made an immediate impact. Unfortunately, the Rangers didn’t have picks in those drafts! Going to take some patience. Get a few more 1st/2nd rd picks this season. Hopefully 1 or 2 can turn into great players, eventually. But it’s not going to be overnight.

If Andersson were picked 21st and and Chytil 7th, we be thrilled with the top pick and be pleased with how the 21st pick was developing in the AHL..

I?m not sure why this matters at all.

People are calling for Andersson to be traded already around here. It?s absurd. The list of players that developed over many years of professional experience is 10x longer than the list of people who made an immediate impact. Just look at Kreider and Hayes.

But he’s producing as much as the “high ceiling” players in the AHL while exhibiting other aspects of his game those players lack

But he's supposed to be in the NHL now. Not the AHL. Howden getting hurt and Lias not getting the instant call up is alarming. There's a spot for him. They just don't want to give it to him.

I fully expected this kid to push Hayes out the door, or at least help the team decide to move him sooner. Dude can't even get a role over Nieves (whom I like) or Strome. It's the perfect time to insert him.

The selling point on drafting him was that he could walk onto an NHL team and contribute.. He hasn't done that. This is year two after being drafted.. Guess the selling point is untrue.

I'm down for trading him or handing him a third line role with the goal being to slide him into a second line role as soon as they deal Hayes. Let him play and give him some damn line mates. If they don't want to do that. Add him to a package to some sucker ala DeAngelo to the Rangers.

Hopefully the rangers stick to the plan that best develops the player that is based on his actual readiness rather than fulfilling the fans need to rush to judgement. He’s 19/20 years old. He can’t even have a beer yet. Surely he has time to develop into more than he is now. Maybe he doesn’t. Regardless he’s not a bust yet and the team does not need to prove otherwise to the ridiculous faction of their fan base.

Archived