• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

fletch

I never said Namestnikov's contract was good, but at least it isn't 5 years long. Also, Namestnikov was on a 58 point pace with Tampa last year. Context matters.
Miller was a point per game player and Tampa gave him the deal he warranted for the player he is.

Names scored 2 goals here and we paid him for the player he was somewhere else.

If we're talking about Gorton mistakes... This is a pretty big one.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller was a point per game player and Tampa gave him the deal he warranted for the player he is.

Totally agree. Miller produced 50 plus points here, so context does matter. Miller is a superior player to Namestnikov. Didn’t want to bring it up because I also get the man crush response and the conversation gets old quick. People act like miller was a throwaway. He’d easily be in our top 6 right now and probably top 3 in scoring if he were here. So we traded our top defenseman and one of our leading scorers in his early 20s for a questionable return

Miller is labeled with attitude issues. Combined with his upcoming long[er]-term contract and needing top 6 minutes, it made more sense to get Namestnikov for the Rangers , heading into this season. But I also don’t think the trade was Miller for Namestnikov

McDonagh for Hajek, Namestnikov, 1st

Miller for Howden, 2nd (cond)

Miller is labeled with attitude issues. Combined with his upcoming long[er]-term contract and needing top 6 minutes, it made more sense to get Namestnikov for the Rangers , heading into this season. But I also don’t think the trade was Miller for Namestnikov

McDonagh for Hajek, Namestnikov, 1st

Miller for Howden, 2nd (cond)

This is no better LOL.

No, not really. I agree with Josh. It wasn't Namestnikov for Miller.

Miller got demoted in the playoffs last year because he sucked. He is demoted down to the 3rd line because of poor production. He is on a team that is on pace for 127 points and leads the NHL in goals scored by far. He is on pace for 14 goals. Yikes.

All without mentioming his propensity to turning the puck over at his own blueline.

It is worse than the Brady Skjei contract.

No, not really. I agree with Josh. It wasn't Namestnikov for Miller.

Miller got demoted in the playoffs last year because he sucked. He is demoted down to the 3rd line because of poor production. He is on a team that is on pace for 127 points and leads the NHL in goals scored by far. He is on pace for 14 goals. Yikes.

All without mentioming his propensity to turning the puck over at his own blueline.

It is worse than the Brady Skjei contract.

This is just massive hyperbole so we can just agree to disagree.

Yeah that 14 goal thing is hard to dispute. Too-da-loo.
50 point forward making 5.25 vs 20 point D making the same ... Is a worse contract?

That's comical.

I don't know what point you're trying to make other than Tampa has the best top 6 in the NHL and Miller isn't in it... So what?

For a RFA they didn?t plan on re-signing? Solid bottom 6 prospect and a potential first rounder? Equivalent to Tolvanen + 1st

(But yeah, I?d whine a bit if they traded Kreider for that )

Whatever they said about his "attitude" after he got traded was the first and last we heard. It was likely garbage regardless.

If attitude around young players was an issue, the Sadbo Baggins would have been gone already.

Yzerman got the best of Rangers brass. Again.

(And Howden isn't anywhere near Tolvanen)

Yeah that 14 goal thing is hard to dispute. Too-da-loo.

At the time of the trade miller had just put up 56 points and was on pace for the same last year as a ranger. In the same situation Namestnikov is on pace for under 30 points and maybe 8 goals? You’re hung up on 14?

We’ll see how the trade pans out but it doesn’t look good right now. Long way to go no doubt. Hardly a trade to garner Gorton praise

Rangers are continuing to get a lot of action on their potential rentals, Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello and Adam McQuaid and right now it’s fair to say that more likely than not that all three of them will be traded by Monday. There seems to be a fair amount of action on all of them.”

“The sense seems to be that Hayes can fetch a first round pick and prospect.”

“Zuccarello could fetch a 2nd round pick and prospect.”

McQuaid could fetch, potentially, a third round pick.”

“These are very fluid situations and right now it seems like all of the focus of the Rangers is on trying to trade those players. That is not to say that if they don’t like what is on the table for any of them that they couldn’t go back to each of their reps and see if they could fashion a contract extension but right now all the focus is on trying to trade these guys and those prices are what the Rangers are hopeful, optimistic and expecting to get.”

Bob McKenzie on NBC

Bob McKenzie on NBC

So:

1st, 2nd, 3rd plus 2 prospects Hayes, Zuccarello, McQuaid

That's a nice haul, in my opinion. It likely gives them 3 picks in the top-40 and a further 4 picks from 40-93. That makes for a big draft harvest and plenty of freedom to trade up during both draft days. And it gets even better if Tampa wins the Cup.

So:

1st, 2nd, 3rd plus 2 prospects Hayes, Zuccarello, McQuaid

That's a nice haul, in my opinion. It likely gives them 3 picks in the top-40 and a further 4 picks from 40-93. That makes for a big draft harvest and plenty of freedom to trade up during both draft days. And it gets even better if Tampa wins the Cup.

Im happy with this, especially if the prospects are atleast B prospects. If Tampa wins the cup we would have 4 picks in the top 40.

Archived