• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Accelerated Rebuild is Dangerously Ambitious

Phil

Sure, not terrible.

IMO, we need to get Mika on the wing. Let him rip. Let him focus on scoring. That’s where he will be the most beneficial to the team.

But more importantly, we need a 1C, and it’s not him.

That's fine, but if Mika and his cap hit are on the wing, assuming we bring in these pricey UFA's, we won't be able to afford having Hayes to play C also...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A part of me doesn't really believe this full on rebuild thing. Might be because of all the signings we have done over the past seasons. We'll see.

And we should've shitcanned AV and his system years ago. Things would've been different right now I think.

I don't understand people wanting to hang on to Hayes. Not just you but others have said the same. I don't get it. What's to like about him? Defense? You can get that anywhere.

The only thing I can see is there?s a potential upside with him if a new coach comes in, whips him into shape and he starts using his size to his advantage. He needs several rockets up his ass, then maybe we?ll see a useful player.

Right now I could take or leave him.

Yes, I agree at times he has. That's why I say better offensively. He lacks consistency, similar to Kreider.

He lacks offensive consistency because he's been on the 3rd line, mostly. And was still putting up better ES numbers than Zibanejad, our #1C.

A part of me doesn't really believe this full on rebuild thing. Might be because of all the signings we have done over the past seasons. We'll see.

And we should've shitcanned AV and his system years ago. Things would've been different right now I think.

I'm going with this!

I wanna see this team under a real coach, not the former douche bag. He lost this team 2 years ago. Lets see what these guys have when they have new fire under their ass....or in this case A FIRE AT ALL!

He lacks offensive consistency because he's been on the 3rd line, mostly. And was still putting up better ES numbers than Zibanejad, our #1C.

Playing against weaker competition, sure.

Zibinejad could put up 80 point playing against the guys Hayes plays against, with PP time.

Using your size is different in this NHL. Guys are too fast. You cant have your center trying to take runs at opponents to leave a 3 on 2 with Gilmour and O'Gara back to defend.

He was playing physical at the end of the season when his minutes increased, especially in the offensive zone.

I'm going with this!

I wanna see this team under a real coach, not the former douche bag. He lost this team 2 years ago. Lets see what these guys have when they have new fire under their ass....or in this case A FIRE AT ALL!

The 15/16 season was severly flawed. His player usage was trash. I wanted him gone after that series loss against the Pens. Hard to believe Gorton stuck with him for two more seasons.

I dont want to move Hayes. Would rather move Zibanejad, especially if we are bringing in a center and a RH shooter.

Huge talent drop off there. Zib can be shifted to a wing or become the 2nd line center if JT is brought in. I don't want Hayes in anything more than the 3rd line role and I dont think it would take too long for Andersson to take on his responsibilities. I drop Chytil/Andersson into the role immediately.

I know you're not a big fan of Zib, but IMO, the guy can definitely be a game changer, if he's not already. I keep the game changer signed to a 5.3 mill contract for 4 more years over giving Hayes anything over what hes getting now. I think I don't like Hayes MORE than you don't like Zib.

This team will be better off cashing out on Hayes now, rather than extending him to what could turn out to be 3-4 mill.

Sure, not terrible.

IMO, we need to get Mika on the wing. Let him rip. Let him focus on scoring. That’s where he will be the most beneficial to the team.

But more importantly, we need a 1C, and it’s not him.

Well it certainly isnt frikken Hayes man. Come onnn.

Well it certainly isnt frikken Hayes man. Come onnn.

I’m not saying that.

I’m saying Hayes is a more productive 2nd line center than Zibanejad [is a first line center]...

So if you are looking for a 2nd line C, it seems like a no brainer.

I also said move Zibanejad to wing, where he can focus on being “a game changer”.

All contingent upon getting a 1C.

I don't understand people wanting to hang on to Hayes. Not just you but others have said the same. I don't get it. What's to like about him? Defense? You can get that anywhere.

I agree. Unless he can be resigned dirt cheap, I don't think he would be missed as they have 2-3 guys that are almost on the cusp of being able to take his role.

Kovy- JT- Zucc

Kreider- Zib- Buch

Spooner- Andersson/Chytil/Howden- Fast

Roussel- Andersson/Chytil/Howden- FA/Hartford

Deal Vesey, Hayes and Namestikov for future draft picks and defensive help.

Zucc, Buch, Chytil, Spooner and Fast can be shuffled around anywhere in the lineup if the lines need tweeking. Spooner or Chytil could maybe be put into the 2nd line center spot, moving Zib to 1st or 2nd line RW.. Zib gives this team way more flexibility for the top six than Hayes IMO.

I’m not saying that.

I’m saying Hayes is a more productive 2nd line center than Zibanejad [is a first line center]...

So if you are looking for a 2nd line C, it seems like a no brainer.

I also said move Zibanejad to wing, where he can focus on being “a game changer”.

All contingent upon getting a 1C.

I just don't see Hayes as 2nd line material. Stats be damned. I think one of the kids can do his job, with Spooner being a better fit for the 2nd line.

Not everyone can be a physical type player. Hayes doesn't really have it in him to be that type of guy. But to say he doesn't use his size effectively is not accurate at all. Hayes uses his frame very well to shield the puck and extend plays. Maybe he does that a little too much but he definitely doesn't play small.

Not everyone can be a physical type player. Hayes doesn't really have it in him to be that type of guy. But to say he doesn't use his size effectively is not accurate at all. Hayes uses his frame very well to shield the puck and extend plays. Maybe he does that a little too much but he definitely doesn't play small.

I myself could care less about how Hayes uses his size. It cant be taught, he is what he is. He's a guy that likes to carry the puck and never shoot it, or never do much of anything worth while with the puck. I just don't see all that much to his game that is hard to find, nor is it irreplaceable. I think the exact opposite. Someone given the endless opportunity that hes been given, might have shown more.

Hes OK, and hes definitely done way more than I thought he would after his sophomore season. I really can't get on board with people who think of him as a legitimate 2nd line option. He's found very little chemistry with anyone (i guess Grabner can be brought up as one).

I go with Spooner over him any day. Yet I go with Hayes over Namestikov, whom I may regret being so down on, as hes got the skillset you want, but am unsure how good he actually is, away from Tampa.

Archived