• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Accelerated Rebuild is Dangerously Ambitious

Phil

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be a massive over payment for Manson.

He?s a 6th round pick and never excelled at any level.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why does his draft position matter? Hank was a seventh-round pick. Does that make him valueless, too?

"Never excelled at any level"...

Why does his draft position matter? Hank was a seventh-round pick. Does that make him valueless, too?

Pedigree.

I know about Manson, and I know how responsible he is blue line down.

But...this is a 6th round draft pick that took 7 years to become a NHL player.

He was 5th amongst Duck defenseman in ice time.

The proposed trade was something you'd offer up for a elite defenseman, not a player such as Manson.

Did I say that because Kevin Hayes liked Thornton that he was him? He emulates a lot of his play in his game. I never said that he is like Thornton. They play similar styles. I mean the way you also describe Thornton isn't completely accurate, but you and I have gone back and forth on that before. You can go back and find those posts if you want.

Players can play in similar styles. That doesn't always mean they're as successful as everything they do. Haven't you ever read the term "stylistic comparison?" Hayes is a 40-50 point player because he lacks the overall talent that the players he idolized have/had.

It brings no context to the discussion. I can like a very productive player and dislike one who doesn't produce as much, even if they play a similar style (which I simply don't see).

Bringing up that I like Thornton accomplished what exactly?

One is a HOF who produces. The other is not, and IMO, doesn't have to be a Ranger any more, because his skill set is very replaceable. If Joe Thornton was in his 4th year as a Ranger, im not thinking he can be replaced by the teams top 2 prospects with ease.

Pedigree.

I know about Manson, and I know how responsible he is blue line down.

But...this is a 6th round draft pick that took 7 years to become a NHL player.

He was 5th amongst Duck defenseman in ice time.

The proposed trade was something you'd offer up for a elite defenseman, not a player such as Manson.

Well he went to Northeastern and went to Anahein the next year. He needed to develop his skills and did. This is a well-rounded player. He's been rock steady as a defensive dman, tough and good skater. In this, his third full year he was 7G 30A in 80 and a plus 34. Over 20 minutes a game with 42% OZ starts. He's 26 y/o 6'3 215 injury free. Plays with smart controlled aggression and keeps scorers away from the net.

I'm not sure the 30th pick, 8Oth pick and Shatty (maybe Vesey) is a package for an elite Dman. However, I'd pay it for Josh and the Rangers would be so much better for it. Besides maybe bringing in de Haan in FA, where are we going to get a Dman that can help us like Manson? And at what cost?

And Future didn't you tell me I was crazy in Oct when I suggested McD for Marner str8 up? You said Toronto needed to add more. This would be another good trade and Ranger fans would be espousing the play, leadership and toughness of Manson, if he were here.

Edit: And Anaheim traded Theodore in expansion to protect the defensive group.

No no no, you're reading me wrong. I think Chytil is probably ready for the NHL and should win a spot on the top 9 in camp. The only reasons to suggest the wing is some coaches like to alleviate the extra defensive responsibilities of a C. Babcock did it with Nylander and Marner, for that reason and because of Matthews. Chytil has played wing and still needs to improve his D. It might be a nice way to get him on the top 6 with the current log jam at C.

Lias still needs to work on skating and strength. Who knows if he is ready to be a full time NHLer until preseason? He might be the call at 4C, but he needs to win the job. Howden needs to play some in the AHL, why rush him? Hajek too.

As for Hayes, I get your view, even if I don't agree. All good. However, I'm not rushing to trade him or anybody. If there is a Dman or scorer or a draft target --- and the other team wants Hayes, then I'll consider trading him. Otherwise, prefer if the team lets the new coach sort it out. And the players can prove their value in the new system.

Sidenote: Spooner is a winger. He wants to play wing and mgmt knows. His weaknesses are defense and physicality. His strengths are his shot, skating and nifty puck handling outside the circle. He also sees the game and his cutting/trailing linemates well from the wing. He smells like a winger to me.

The Rangers need to just let these kids play. If they suck on D, then so be it. I feel this is where AV stumbled. If a player was weak in an aspect of their game. He decided to pigeon hole them into a role that required the deficiency, in an effort to force them to adapt to that style.

I have not mentioned bringing Hajek up quickly. Although it wouldn't hurt to say hes currently in the running for an NHL job.

If the Rangers get JT, they cant pay Hayes or Namestikov. I put them on the block very quickly. If JT isnt in the plans? Fine. Bridge them both.

Spooner has not said he WANTS to play wing. Hes said he was reluctant to make the switch and is now happy he did. I think he said he still prefers center, bit has no problem extending his resume on either eing. Again I play the player in their comfort zone. His defense is questionable? Well thats why hes your penciled in at 3rd line center or winger, with the possibility of slotting up to 2nd line if need be (2-3 players need to fail hard for that to happen). I want a guy who can dish the puck to play the traditional position where such players play. Center.

Can't use "ad nauseam" in a sentence but teaches me the word espouse.

Wow. You never...

Oh, that's Giac, not The Dude.

I thought I was caught in a series of non-multi-quoters...

OH I WAS, JUST THE WRONG OFFENDER.

Where are my wingz?

I know hes Daves son, but is Manson even tough or very physical?

For sure, great checker and can really lay the body. Intimidating in front of his net too. Non goons do not want to tangle with him. He is disciplined though and does not go out of position to kill a guy or take a dumb penalty. Read the article I linked.

Phillyb, are you saying I need to start using ad nauseum in my posts? I'll try. You need to start getting your wings in upstate NY.

Can't use "ad nauseam" in a sentence but teaches me the word espouse.

Wow. You never...

Oh, that's Giac, not The Dude.

I thought I was caught in a series of non-multi-quoters...

OH I WAS, JUST THE WRONG OFFENDER.

Where are my wingz?

Sorry, i don't like lumping all the quotes in one post man. I feel responding individually, is a bit cleaner and doesn't confuse subject matter to both my dumb self and who im having a discussion with as well as anyone who wants to add to the discussion. Its a lot easier to respond one by one on the shitter or on the run.

And Future didn't you tell me I was crazy in Oct when I suggested McD for Marner str8 up? You said Toronto needed to add more. This would be another good trade and Ranger fans would be espousing the play, leadership and toughness of Manson, if he were here.

Edit: And Anaheim traded Theodore in expansion to protect the defensive group.

At the time i said I?d drive McDonagh myself for Nykander and throw in Vesey or Hayes

Archived