• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Accelerated Rebuild is Dangerously Ambitious

Phil

Yeah no. Please dont try to connect a future HOFer to Hayes. Please.

Thornton has all world vision. Is a playoff point producer, doesn't handle the puck like Hayes and had (HAD) a history of playing physical. Thornton takes the puck to the net. Not to the corner. Thornton can put up 45 points in his sleep. Thornton actually possess a decent shot that he had success using. How many allstar games has Hayes been in? Olympic rosters? Worlds? Ross and Hart trophies? Seriously?

If you read my comment, I wasn't complaining about Hayes lack of physical play. Im fine with him not being a bull. Its the head down and stick handle into the corner boards and not to the net that bothers me. Quite the opposite of what made Joe Thornton a house hold name. You think the average fan knows Kevin Hayes?

Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph and Mike Vernon were some of my favorite players growing up. They all had different styles. Does that mean im as good as any of them?

Do you honestly see Hayes becoming anything like ANY of those favorites of his? Is he going to put up an 80 point season? 40 goals? Be a physical and good skating generational talent???

Did I say that because Kevin Hayes liked Thornton that he was him? He emulates a lot of his play in his game. I never said that he is like Thornton. They play similar styles. I mean the way you also describe Thornton isn't completely accurate, but you and I have gone back and forth on that before. You can go back and find those posts if you want.

Players can play in similar styles. That doesn't always mean they're as successful as everything they do. Haven't you ever read the term "stylistic comparison?" Hayes is a 40-50 point player because he lacks the overall talent that the players he idolized have/had.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Chytil ever even played wing/ Why are we already shifting the current top prospects position before he even makes the team?

No no no, you're reading me wrong. I think Chytil is probably ready for the NHL and should win a spot on the top 9 in camp. The only reasons to suggest the wing is some coaches like to alleviate the extra defensive responsibilities of a C. Babcock did it with Nylander and Marner, for that reason and because of Matthews. Chytil has played wing and still needs to improve his D. It might be a nice way to get him on the top 6 with the current log jam at C.

Lias still needs to work on skating and strength. Who knows if he is ready to be a full time NHLer until preseason? He might be the call at 4C, but he needs to win the job. Howden needs to play some in the AHL, why rush him? Hajek too.

As for Hayes, I get your view, even if I don't agree. All good. However, I'm not rushing to trade him or anybody. If there is a Dman or scorer or a draft target --- and the other team wants Hayes, then I'll consider trading him. Otherwise, prefer if the team lets the new coach sort it out. And the players can prove their value in the new system.

Sidenote: Spooner is a winger. He wants to play wing and mgmt knows. His weaknesses are defense and physicality. His strengths are his shot, skating and nifty puck handling outside the circle. He also sees the game and his cutting/trailing linemates well from the wing. He smells like a winger to me.

Wow, thanks. Well there you go. New coach will embrace analytics. That's good, we are getting modern.

Wonder who is that strong leader in the locker room, obviously no one on the team currently, unless he means Hank. Are we looking to make a bargain trade for a cap casualty who is still a tough leader, but no longer in his prime? Is it JT? Doesn't sound like it, but maybe. Kovy to lead the Russia parade? :confused:

And who is that one great player that may come available? Was hoping it would be Marner/Nylander, but Toronto may figure out how to hold both. Plus, we no longer have the ammo (McD) needed for Toronto. Who else will be in cap hell? Edm doesn't have the guy, no need for RNH. The Jets have Trouba, but he is not a "special player" Dolan is referring to.

Our next captain and tough leader should be Josh Manson. In his prime, righty, contract is manageable and we have the ammo to tempt Anaheim.

They need offense and scoring badly!!! Our late 1st and 3rd plus Shatty and their choice of Spooner, Zuc, Names, Vesey. Even Hayes if they insist. Feel free to monkey with the return for Anaheim, but it seems this target could be gettable and solve some major needs for us.

Mark Stone would be another possibility for a captain and scorer, given his RFA status and his credibility among his teammates. He may be more beloved by his team than Manson. Unlike Manson, he is not someone we'd want sending a physical message.

says the guy saying we cant afford to trade pieces for Karlsson...

Not the same. That package can get Manson, that's not getting Karlsson. Nor is there an injury issue, for a 11 mil /7 year contract. Manson's contract is fine. I do not see it as hypocritical or the equivalent.

Not the same. That package can get Manson, that's not getting Karlsson. Nor is there an injury issue, for a 11 mil /7 year contract. Manson's contract is fine. I do not see it as hypocritical or the equivalent.

You wont need to change much. Cap dump instead of Shattenkirk, add a pick and a prospect youve never heard of.

RH, Leader (has actually worn the C in the NHL), same age, 100x better offensively.

Plus, I was trying to solve your desire for a tough, physical leader, not find the 'special' player. Given, they are both #1 RHDs.

I was told playing through injuries makes you tougher than being hard to play against.

They need offense and scoring badly!!! Our late 1st and 3rd plus Shatty and their choice of Spooner, Zuc, Names, Vesey. Even Hayes if they insist. Feel free to monkey with the return for Anaheim, but it seems this target could be gettable and solve some major needs for us.

Manson is good but that's a massive overpayment for him. He's a second-pair D and alone isn't worth Zucc or Hayes. They have no use for Shatty b/c he defaults to the third pair with Fowler and Montour already there. A 20-something pick would be plenty and even then, he's not a guy who would move the need for this team. The Rangers are loaded with second-pair defense prospects, it's all they have lol.

If we're snooping around ANA, I'm asking for Getzlaf. They need to blow it up, and he could be a good get if they can't get JT.

I say we have one of our own kids earn it and keep it.

No "C" for anyone until they prove they are THE GUY...

No need to waste resources for a has been or a wanna be. We may just draft it....or we may have it already....we have to wait and see.

No need to waste resources for a has been or a wanna be. We may just draft it....or we may have it already....we have to wait and see.

I think surrounding our players, and future leaders, with names that have been mentioned, only serves to benefit the team in the long-run.

I'd love Lias to learn from the likes of a Kovalchuk, Karlsson, Geztlaf or Tavares.

None of the young guys are going to be able to prove it until like 2021.

Manson is good but that's a massive overpayment for him. He's a second-pair D and alone isn't worth Zucc or Hayes. They have no use for Shatty b/c he defaults to the third pair with Fowler and Montour already there. A 20-something pick would be plenty and even then, he's not a guy who would move the need for this team. The Rangers are loaded with second-pair defense prospects, it's all they have lol.

If we're snooping around ANA, I'm asking for Getzlaf. They need to blow it up, and he could be a good get if they can't get JT.

I wouldn't even look at Getzlaf at that age and cap hit, he's not a goal scorer by any stretch. This is the kind of move they would of made in the past. I hope we're going down another path nowadays. Getting a guy a year (or three in this case) too late.

None of the young guys are going to be able to prove it until like 2021.

That works for me....I'm gonna be patient with this one, Future. No need to rush these guys...I'd rather even see Kreider be a leader on this squad. I still feel our former coach didn't get as much out of this team and these players as he could.

I wouldn't even look at Getzlaf at that age and cap hit, he's not a goal scorer by any stretch. This is the kind of move they would of made in the past. I hope we're going down another path nowadays. Getting a guy a year (or three in this case) too late.

Getzlaf paced 89 points this year. No, he's not an elite goal scorer but he's still pretty much as good as it gets as a playmaker. Kreider could get to 40 goals playing with him.

I feel like a lot of people said the same thing about Joe Thornton 6 years ago.

That works for me....I'm gonna be patient with this one, Future. No need to rush these guys...I'd rather even see Kreider be a leader on this squad. I still feel our former coach didn't get as much out of this team and these players as he could.

Kreider's too robotic and in his own head to be a leader. If he was going to be, he'd already have a letter.

I agree AV didn't get everything out of the players but, at some point, these players deserve a lot of the blame for the overall lack of compete. I will never blame a coach for guys coming out flat, not battling for pucks, not skating hard, etc. etc. etc. I won't blame a captain either. Every player has off nights, but professional athletes should be self-motivated when it comes to effort. This team is full of front runners and that shit is poison.

A 5-game test run for a guy who has been with the franchise for 6 years doesn't mean anything, especially when he got it by default after 4 other guys were moved, and only as an afterthought to Fast.

yeah, thats kinda how the last 5 got the C.

I dont view Kreider as a captain, just sayin.

He'd be the best defensive dman on the team, skates well and adds some O and grit. A great partner for Skjei. He's a #2 with an offensive #1. No one else has the defensive chops and size to play against top liners. He'll cost less than half of Karlsson. We have no righty for the top pair, to play against top competition.

Anaheim may do a retool and they will certainly be looking for offense. Fowler is a lefty. Vatanen is gone. You want to pay less? Last 1st, Boston's 3rd and Shatty (more offense) and or Vesey. Sounds great, but I'd pay a little more, if necessary.

How do we know Manson is a locker room leader?

I don't think he wears a letter, does he?

I've heard quotes from teammates. He also stands up for all his team mates on the ice. Mature and serious, plays every aspect of the game well, he's captain material. He also is emotional, but adult enough to keep himself in check. Unlike Hartman last night.

Here's a real good recent piece with a whole section about leadership.

Archived