• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Accelerated Rebuild is Dangerously Ambitious

Phil

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karlsson makes the least sense. So much risk in long monster contract, given the significant injury that he hasn't completely recovered from. Then to give up all those rebuilding assets and kill all cap flexibility? Is Sather getting ambitious and stirring up trouble? Ottawa wants a bunch of cheap valuable assets. Think we really should be a buyer? How does this make fucking sense?

I'd rather keep all our picks, young assets and cap flexibility and draft Adam Boqvist.

It doesn’t make any sense. It’s typical rangers nonsense. I hear the rumor and dismiss it as the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Then McKenzie and Friedman come out and say they are looking at Karlsson. Just when you think we may finally have an adult running things you hear shit like this. Seriously being the gm of the rangers is like playing a video game except you can’t just star over by pressing a button.

It doesn’t make any sense. It’s typical rangers nonsense. I hear the rumor and dismiss it as the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Then McKenzie and Friedman come out and say they are looking at Karlsson. Just when you think we may finally have an adult running things you hear shit like this. Seriously being the gm of the rangers is like playing a video game except you can’t just star over by pressing a button.

I don't think anyone is advocating trading the #8 pick or anything like that. If they want some of our bad players, they can have them. It's not worth getting worked up about because we don't even have any rumors of what might be offered. Hayes, Vesey, Zucc, DeAngelo, whoever. I don't care what roster players go the other way. I'm not too worried about them trading picks. Obviously, I think they will trade a few at the draft but I think they'll be picking high.

I don't think anyone is advocating trading the #8 pick or anything like that. If they want some of our bad players, they can have them. It's not worth getting worked up about because we don't even have any rumors of what might be offered. Hayes, Vesey, Zucc, DeAngelo, whoever. I don't care what roster players go the other way. I'm not too worried about them trading picks. Obviously, I think they will trade a few at the draft but I think they'll be picking high.

Well Ottawa is not going to want any RFAs or real salary, so this is not going to work. So it will require at least our #8 plus 2 other hot young assets or both our later 1sts instead of #8. Not to mention, the issue of taking Ryan's salary.

The whole shindig is gonna cost too much. Not the way to build this time. Plus, there is a better solution. I'm not inclined to trade Hayes, especially with so many other assets to trade. But if one wants to trade Hayes and Zuc and Shat'Angelo and whoever plus a late 1 or 2nd, we still can.

There will be teams struggling with the cap in the offseason, let's be one of the few teams able to pounce on Panarin. There will be teams who were not in the market at the deadline willing to offer us a good return for guys that our new coach (and mgmt) thinks does not fit.

Also, some trading will have to be done in season. Shatty probably needs to show he's healthy. Vesey needs a chance with a new coach. He also needs to raise his value, if we want anything worthwhile in return. Hayes may have erased any doubt at the end of the season, but I expect his trade value will be better in January than currently. I'm not giving away an excellent young 3C. Now if Calgary comes seeking Hayes, with Hamilton as a possibility, if we add a later 1st and the Devils 2nd, then we have to think hard.

Well Ottawa is not going to want any RFAs or real salary, so this is not going to work. So it will require at least our #8 plus 2 other hot young assets or both our later 1sts instead of #8. It is gonna cost too much, not the way to build this time. Plus, there is a better solution. I'm not inclined to trade Hayes, especially with so many other assets to trade. But if one wants to trade Hayes and Zuc and Shat'Angelo and whoever plus a late 1 or 2nd, we still can.

There will be teams struggling with the cap in the offseason, let's be one of the few teams able to pounce on Panarin. There will be teams who were not in the market at the deadline willing to offer us a good return for guys that our new coach (and mgmt) thinks does not fit.

Also, some trading will have to be done in season. Shatty probably needs to show he's healthy. Vesey needs a chance with a new coach. He also needs to raise his value, if we want anything worthwhile in return. Hayes may have erased any doubt at the end of the season, but I expect his trade value will be better in January than currently. I'm not giving away an excellent young 3C. Now if Calgary comes seeking Hayes and Hamilton is a possibility, if we add a 1st, then we have to think hard.

I don't think we think hard about Hayes. He's an extra forward if the Rangers do in fact sign Tavares. He raised his value with his post-deadline goal outburst so this might be the highest his value ever will be.

Really though, there's just too many moving pieces at the moment. Let's wait to see what happens with the lottery and Kovalchuck. Because if we're picking #1 overall, there's no chance they'll go after Karlsson.

I'm not exactly sure we call Hayes an extra forward. He's a shutdown Center who can score 20 goals and put up 50 plus points. That's not exactly easy to find.

It's not? 149 players scored more points than him. He was a second line center with 19 assists. I guess he can play a 3rd line role but I'd expect his point total to decrease at that point. You take care of him last, after you sign the guys who can actually score, because if you want a defensive center, that is easy to find.

Also, calling him a 50+ point scorer is a stretch considering he's never done that.

We need more than 44 points from guys if we want to change the way shit has gone.

I don't think we think hard about Hayes. He's an extra forward if the Rangers do in fact sign Tavares. He raised his value with his post-deadline goal outburst so this might be the highest his value ever will be.

Really though, there's just too many moving pieces at the moment. Let's wait to see what happens with the lottery and Kovalchuck. Because if we're picking #1 overall, there's no chance they'll go after Karlsson.

Honestly, I'm not thinking free agency either. I just want to see how the lotto turns out first. Instead of hoping for #1, I'm just hoping we don't drop. #9 is very possible, twice as likely as getting into the top 3. 10th would be horrid luck.

This is what we need. There is a 45% chance that Florida, Blues, Stars, Flames, Canes, Isles, Oilers get called in order. That means the worst we pick is 8th and that our odds to be in the top 3 increase to around 27%. If one of those teams is not called in order that means we pick 9th or later, unless we hit on a now less than 10% chance of a top 3.

The plan is to watch intently the first seven picks go as ordered. Then hope I don't hear the Rangers called next.

It's not? 149 players scored more points than him. He was a second line center with 19 assists. I guess he can play a 3rd line role but I'd expect his point total to decrease at that point. You take care of him last, after you sign the guys who can actually score, because if you want a defensive center, that is easy to find.

None of this explains how he's an extra forward. He had 49 points as a third liner last year.

I don't want to get tangential. I don't love Hayes. I don't care if they trade him. But that said, it's simply untrue that he's an extra forward if they sign JT. Zib or Hayes can easily move to wing. Hayes is also one of our few PKers left, and takes most of the D zone starts (second only to Fast among regular players).

Defensize centers who can score 50 points from the 3rd line aren't easy to find.

Hayes is arguably the most valuable forward trade chip the team has. More than Zuccarello or Buchnevich. For the reasons Pete noted above, and the fact he's a center, period.

Yes, and he?s an out of shape, lazy, douche waffle. Will get real good value right now.

Yes, and he’s an out of shape, lazy, douche waffle. Will get real good value right now.

He's a bro. It doesn't surprise me he does bro things. I like him as a player, but if he gets them something valuable, I'm good with it.

I'm not exactly sure we call Hayes an extra forward. He's a shutdown Center who can score 20 goals and put up 50 plus points. That's not exactly easy to find.

This. I actually started appreciating him a bit this year. He's improved in every facet of the game every year he's been a pro. Can't argue with that.

how high was his thc count?

The team just figured out they were out of shape? Shame on the team and players.

Of course Fast and Kreids were among the best, which is why I mentioned their work ethic weeks ago when someone choose to question both players value. Kreids took some extra shit about not working hard enough, which is bullshit. If Grabs and Hags were still on the team, they'd be right up there. There is a reason all of them are fast and working hard for a full shift, every shift. They are dedicated to maximizing their physical abilities, they are disciplined, work on their skating and their strength, power and quickness. And they been doing it since early on.

Archived