• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Coaching Options Now That Vigneault Is Axed

Phil

And was ridiculed for being "soft", constantly. Saw it a couple of times on camera during that HBO special for the winter classic.

I guess you have a point in that he did score within the system. Just seemed to not fit the players he eventually wound up with, as they ran him out of town. There were lots of complaints and from what I remember it wasn't all about Torts being Torts.

Gaborik actually scored 40 twice. Had the 1st and 3rd bedt years of his career under Torts.

Kreider was not ready yet, and Slats was forcing him on JT. I would say when AV cut him the following year, that was a pretty clear indication Torts was right.

Nash: 21-21-42 in 44 games under JT

Callahan: Never came close to his career year with JT. 29 goals, I believe.

Zuc: Wasn’t ready yet

Misconception about Torts is that he hates the kids and only plays vets. Completely false. He rides guys, but everyone is a cunt now, so he needs to adjust in that regard.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perceived leadership problem. Perceived lack of toughness. That is what’s coming from the brass of this team. There is no doubt that either of those issues wouldn’t be handled under torts. He’s not perfect but this team is far from the team that promoted his firing. They need an adult to ride them. They need a strong voice from the coach. They need structure. It doesn’t have to be torts but it needs to be someone who isn’t afraid to point the discipline at whomever deserves it s rookie or a 10 year vet. This teams play, indifference to defensive zone coverage, and turnovers has earned them a coach like torts.

Perceived leadership problem. Perceived lack of toughness. That is what’s coming from the brass of this team. There is no doubt that either of those issues wouldn’t be handled under torts. He’s not perfect but this team is far from the team that promoted his firing. They need an adult to ride them. They need a strong voice from the coach. They need structure. It doesn’t have to be torts but it needs to be someone who isn’t afraid to point the discipline at whomever deserves it s rookie or a 10 year vet. This teams play, indifference to defensive zone coverage, and turnovers has earned them a coach like torts.

Every coach has favorites. Every coach leans one way more than another. Discipline is handled differently for different players, always has, always will be, always should be. The idea is to get it to work. Torts made it work. His rosters here up front were dog shit, so he played to the strengths of what he had ... defense and goaltending.

Offense isn’t coached, it’s created. Guys can create it under any coach if they’re good enough, like Gaborik. Problem was he had Gaborik and then Callahan as the next best guy out of 12 forwards. Pretty big drop off. These idiots who complain about dump and chase really had no idea what they’re talking about. There hasn’t been a team since hockey was invented that don’t chip pucks in and go get them. The disconnect is from idiots who learned hockey from X-box where no one chips pucks in, yet they score 6 goals a game playing that way. Must work, right? Idiots. /Rant.

Getting back to the thread topic ... Has Quinn been officially crossed off? I’m hearing 2nd hand info from someone around Quinn that he loves BU, has a sick apartment overlooking the river, but would still be interested. I posted here a couple of weeks ago that he’d want a lot of money. No idea if the Rangers would meet his price, but I can’t blame him for not wanting to leave college. There’s a reason why all the greats stay where they are. They have full control. They don’t have to deal with primadonnas, and they don’t go scouting on their own. They still get paid very well. What’s better?

Plus the season isn’t as long and much less travel.

In that Conference there's less travel than a Swiss team, and less games than the local Pee Wee team. You're only leaving for Ego/Ambition.

True, true. That’s a huge fact I left out. As a midget coach, I’m sick of all our travel, and we have more miles than college teams, and play a lot more games.

Plus some possible candidates are still in the middle of competition.

Bingo and +1 for 31 too.

Guys are/were still coaching. No competition, interview everyone, gather tons of info. Make the right choice. Montgomery was sketched about leaving the midwest, he was not the right choice. Should interview Sacco, just for intelligence/insight from a Bruin perspective. Keefe absolutely needs to be interviewed.

Anyone getting the feeling that we are floundering here a bit?

How can they be floundering, they haven't even had a chance to interview Keefe and they will never tell you who t hey interviewed so far. There is no other NHL opening - Calgary wanted Peters, Montgomery didn't want New York so he signed with Dallas, and Carolina just hired Rod Brind'Amour (lol). Rangers have all the time in the world, which is until just before the draft June 22 if you believe the coach should have a say, otherwise July 1 for free agency. The Calder Cup playoffs run through May, so I'd expect a coaching decision to be made around the first week of June

Anyone getting the feeling that we are floundering here a bit?

No, the Rangers are doing their due diligence are trying to find the right guy to lead this team. As others have said, Rangers arent competing with any other teams for a coach, and their are coaches out there that they want to talk to that is in the midst of the AHL Playoffs.

let's not pretend the search started after AV was fired.

They are clearly waiting for a guy to finish his current assignment.

They want this to be taken care of as quickly as possible.

Rush? No, maybe not, but I'm sure theyre getting a little antsy. You want to get your coach and start establishing that relationship prior to the draft and free agency.

If we bring back Renney, is Jagr his offensive coach again?

I'd do the Renney (calm teacher) to Torts (task master asshole) to "insert veteren 5 Star coach" cycle again.

Renney's job is too cushy to get him out, though.

I want an understanding teacher that holds players (and officials) accountable, and is the occasional asshole.

Archived