• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Coaching Options Now That Vigneault Is Axed

Phil

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you imagine if they were waiting for Trotz? Waiting for him to be eliminated again, then fired or waiting for him to be a hero and stay in Wash?

Doesn't make sense. I'm sticking with Keefe. Next year will be the year of Dubas and Keefe. Too bad we'll be breaking them up, but it is Keefe's time. Quinn is in the running, hopefully the backup plan.

Do they even have to wait for Keefe to finish his season before interviewing him? Thought I remember minor league and assistant coaches going to interviews while their teams are still playing? Maybe that NFL.

NFL assistants have interviewed and gotten offers and accepted HC jobs during the playoffs if they were granted permission to talk. Can't recall it ever happening in the NHL/AHL.

NFL assistants have interviewed and gotten offers and accepted HC jobs during the playoffs if they were granted permission to talk. Can't recall it ever happening in the NHL/AHL.
Probably has something to do with NFL playoff series being 1 day and NHL being 2 weeks.

Flash: Bob McKenzie now says Quinn is not a done deal but negotiations well down the road.https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Yep, just saw this too. McKenzie's info usually very good. I'd imagine that this is going to be the guy.

Yup it is. The guy reportedly says I don’t want the job. He’s not exactly hold Scotty Bowman’s resume. Yet the rangers are trying to convince him to come. Original 6 New York rangers have to convince him that their job is a better opportunity than bu? Pathetic.

I’m not going to pretend I know everything about college hockey. However while Quinn has recruited the best talent in the country his team has yet to play a season up to their expectations. I know him and Drury are very close and stated I thought he would be the coach. When he leaked it out that he wasn’t interested I didn’t think he was using it as a negotiation ploy nor thought the rangers would revisit. This news is disturbing. The silence regarding the rangers coaching search was not some great secret. They have no clue who they want or at least those they do want nothing to do with them.

Given that we are probably not going to be a cup contender for the next two years anyway, I'm not against taking a bit of a flier on this one, provided that we be prepared to cut our losses pretty quickly (as with Brian Trottier) if it is not working well.

Look at Montgomery?s interview and while stating the reasons of choosing Dallas he off handily ripped the rangers and the lack of direction. Basically saying they didn?t know what they were doing and the situation was fluid.
This is an interesting point.

If I were a new coach I would want no part of a team that can't decide if it wants to rebuild or compete. I'd want to know the roster before I interviewed and set expectations from there.

But that's also not a good way to approach the draft.

I'd want input on the roster.

What is Dallas' direction? Continue to ride two good players to 9th place finishes?

Trying to pull an NCAA guy to the NHL is like trying to pull a public school teacher in to the private sector. They're sneakily suspicious there's work involved.

The more I read about Quinn, the more I like him compared to the usual suspects. I hope they get something done.

Look at Montgomery’s interview and while stating the reasons of choosing Dallas he off handily ripped the rangers and the lack of direction. Basically saying they didn’t know what they were doing and the situation was fluid.

I liked what I read about Montgomery prior to him going to dallas and liked what he said in the interview. I didn’t take the comments about the rangers as “they don’t know what they’re doing, they don’t have direction”, I took it as “they wouldn’t tell me their entire plan... the stars did”. I interpreted it as Gorton having something going on that he can’t discuss with coaching candidates. For a college coach, I can see how that’d be a turn off.

Well Montgomery who spoke to him directly took it as they didn’t know what they wanted to do.

As far as Dallas. They at least have a solid plan. They have an idea of what they need and want to do.

The rangers it seems might want to sign Tavares and trade for Karlsson, naw, let’s draft and develop. Wait maybe draft and bring in Kovy and jvr do maybe we sneak into the playoffs.

Let’s send a letter out to the fans saying one thing then tell our franchise goalie that we are still trying to win.

There is something everyone here needs to remember. This teams ticket prices are the highest in the league. Single game face value you can’t get in for less than $100. This team cannot just throw what they did at the end of the season on the ice. They took a heap of shit from the season ticket holders this summer. I know because I gave it to them and dropped my seats. My rep told me that it was a common theme, the middle class fan has no place having tickets.

I believe the hockey people want to rebuild. The money people want a new shinny toy to sell.

it's actually Laurel + Yaley

as long as it's not Laurel and Hardy.

i know we have time but frankly I'm getting a bit nervous. Almost looks like we are the bride being jilted at the altar.

FatFran's comment about the ticket prices also makes me nervous. This can lead to short sighted thinking and bad long term contracts to eventual over the hill players. That's why I want Svechnikov, He looks NHL ready to me and if you pair him with a Tavares/Carlson signing we probably do retool on the fly. I dont think Dolan signed up for a 5 year tear down and rebuild. It's just not in his nature.

Archived