• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Coaching Options Now That Vigneault Is Axed

Phil

While not advocating his hiring, and he’s not likely to be available anyway, let’s not forget that Torts made pros out of guys like Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Dan Boyle, in Tampa and built them into a Cup winner. He’s no stranger to coaching young guys and making pros out of them.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a young, rebuilding team, you don't think a coach that teaches defense, attention to detail, accountability and "how to be a pro" is a perfect fit?

I just feel like his style is old. We need a coach who can help our young forwards to fullfill their potential (Kreids, Hayes, Buch, Lias, Chytil, Howden etc), our D suck, but thats mostly because of the players at disposal. It is with the forwards we have most unfullfilled potential that needs coaching and I dont think Torts is the guy to that. Besides, I dont like the way he teaches "accountability", he's to tough for a lot of the younger guys I think.

And I dont think all the "drama" and the extra he brings is something this organisation needs at this moment.

Was a huge Torts fan myself. The road to the winter classic special against Philly was AMAZING entertainment and he helped rebuild a lackluster roster into a playoff team utilizing the assets he had and making a system around the assets as opposed to AV's square peg into a round hole approach.

With that said, I'm looking forward to a coach from college or minor leagues whom has a track record of developing young talent with the same type of coaching flexibility to adapt to the assets he has been given. Not versed enough to know who that is but sure hope Gorton can find him.

who in the locker room had a problem with Torts? Are any of them still here?

if he came are we going back to the block shots and turtle style around the net?

I'm not saying i'm not open to it mind you. agree fully he is a teacher and always

love bringing in a disciplinarian after AV's laid back stay out of the room style.

His pressers are priceless as well.

who in the locker room had a problem with Torts? Are any of them still here?

if he came are we going back to the block shots and turtle style around the net?

I'm not saying i'm not open to it mind you. agree fully he is a teacher and always

love bringing in a disciplinarian after AV's laid back stay out of the room style.

His pressers are priceless as well.

Lundqvist and Zucc.

Funny how zuc basically represents everything Torts wants in his players, but still never got the chance under him. Unknown, small norwegian so he didnt even give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's not true. When Zuc got here he wasn't a complete player, and he knew it. He had to learn defense and had to do it in the AHL. Then when he got here, he got hurt a few times.

He even mentioned in an interview how when he was younger he was too east/west and didn't take care of the puck. Now when there is no play, he dumps it and goes to get it.

For a young, rebuilding team, you don't think a coach that teaches defense, attention to detail, accountability and "how to be a pro" is a perfect fit?

Yes, but then you actually have to play young guys. Tortarella falls back on the old guys like AV every f__in' time. Example of very recent vintage; Torts played old guys over Milano this last CBJ playoff series despite Milano being hot as a pistol coming down the stretch.How to be a pro is great, but doesn't mean much unless they play. Which is why he thought Zucc was useless.

Yes, but then you actually have to play young guys. Tortarella falls back on the old guys like AV every f__in' time. Example of very recent vintage; Torts played old guys over Milano this last CBJ playoff series despite Milano being hot as a pistol coming down the stretch.How to be a pro is great, but doesn't mean much unless they play. Which is why he thought Zucc was useless.

This is literally every coach. Read fans posts, tweets, and articles after a coach has been fired. "He plays XXX too much, he wont play/sent down XXX, he wants YY to do ZZZ, he doesnt adjust, he's stubborn"

For now, I don't think Torts is the right guy for this team. Doesnt seem to be the right fit for what we have, and where it appears we are going, at the moment.

This is literally every coach. Read fans posts, tweets, and articles after a coach has been fired. "He plays XXX too much, he wont play/sent down XXX, he wants YY to do ZZZ, he doesnt adjust, he's stubborn"

For now, I don't think Torts is the right guy for this team. Doesnt seem to be the right fit for what we have, and where it appears we are going, at the moment.

Agree with all of this.

Love Torts but it's not his time.

3 goals in the last 15 games is hot as a pistol?

Milano doesn't play a good enough two-way game to be of any value on the 4th line or be dependable in the top-six with tough matchups, that's been the issue all season.

3 goals in the last 15 games is hot as a pistol?

Milano doesn't play a good enough two-way game to be of any value on the 4th line or be dependable in the top-six with tough matchups, that's been the issue all season.

Literally the same thing with AV and Buch all season long.

And we complained about Kris Newberry and Taylor Pyatt playing over Kreider, Miller and Zuccarello when Torts was here last time.

Would never say no to torts coaching this team. If this team wants to go ahead in a different direction then a torts type is what’s coming. Defensive structure and responsibility is what has been missing. It’s also the thing most young players need time to learn. Torts brings that in spades. Whomever the new coach is he’s probably not the guy who takes this team into the contending years. This is the time to lay a foundation and that has to be done with structure and accountability to the system and teammates. Bring on torts I’ve missed him anyway

Probably has nothing to do with using ice time as a reward or putting players in a position to succeed and develop. Nah. None of that. (And Zucc wasn't a complete player when he got here. Not sure where you saw anyone call him useless)

Probably has nothing to do with using ice time as a reward or putting players in a position to succeed and develop. Nah. None of that. (And Zucc wasn't a complete player when he got here. Not sure where you saw anyone call him useless)

Neither was Kreider. Evidence? AV cut him. Lol.

Was a huge Torts fan myself. The road to the winter classic special against Philly was AMAZING entertainment and he helped rebuild a lackluster roster into a playoff team utilizing the assets he had and making a system around the assets as opposed to AV's square peg into a round hole approach.

With that said, I'm looking forward to a coach from college or minor leagues whom has a track record of developing young talent with the same type of coaching flexibility to adapt to the assets he has been given. Not versed enough to know who that is but sure hope Gorton can find him.

Mehhhh, Torts never adapted to his newer rosters. The Rangers aquired skill, but I guess he felt they were too soft. Why not change the game plan away from what it was in an effort to suit guys like Gaborik, Nash, Richard's Zucc, and so on? He'd rather dump and chase then demoralize the skill players for being soft and not being able to be creative in such a game plan.

Loved his fire. Loved how he changed the locker room mentality. But much like AV he was stubborn in adapting. I think that is why the locker room turned on him.

Mehhhh, Torts never adapted to his newer rosters. The Rangers aquired skill, but I guess he felt they were too soft. Why not change the game plan away from what it was in an effort to suit guys like Gaborik, Nash, Richard's Zucc, and so on? He'd rather dump and chase then demoralize the skill players for being soft and not being able to be creative in such a game plan.

Loved his fire. Loved how he changed the locker room mentality. But much like AV he was stubborn in adapting. I think that is why the locker room turned on him.

Gaborik scored 40. Stop.

Gaborik scored 40. Stop.

And was ridiculed for being "soft", constantly. Saw it a couple of times on camera during that HBO special for the winter classic.

I guess you have a point in that he did score within the system. Just seemed to not fit the players he eventually wound up with, as they ran him out of town. There were lots of complaints and from what I remember it wasn't all about Torts being Torts.

Archived