• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.

Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.

That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.

What gm doesn’t find some guys. Every team in the league has done an ok job finding some talent.

Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.

I keep thinking of Boqvist as a wildcard though. Take Rasmus out of the equation and he'd be discussed as the best dman in the draft and a gamebreaker. He's my clear cut #5 and belongs more with the talent at 2-4 than the group from 6-9. I think this will vet out as we near the draft.

I'd have no problem trading Spooner, our 8th pick and a 3rd to take Boqvist at #5. Frankly, I'd probably give both 3rd rounders or the Devils 2nd, if necessary. And I like Spoons, but this kid has upside and is explosive. Upside potential: A shorter, faster Brian Leetch.

Let's extrapolate further. Sabres have over a 50% chance of drafting 4th and want game changing Dman badly. They may have him slotted over Tkachuk, or so might some other team. Brady becomes the #5 pick. I'd make the same trade.

I'm hoping the Sabres end up 4 and would be willing to swap to 8. They fell into Casey Mittelstadt last year at 8, when we passed on him. They need some vet leadership (Zuc!) and D (Shatty?) and will still be in position to get a top D prospect and additional picks.

I'm fine trading up if we are targeting.

That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...

exactly. that whole mess of a way of thinking will get you twisted and fucked.

and because we took MDZ last year, we pass on an offensive minded Fowler to select Dylan, 'a better organizational fit'.

Lundqvist turns down Sweden. Good. This will be his first really long off season rest. No Playoffs, no World Championships, No World Cup of Hockey. Perfect.

BTW. I hate when people criticize a perfectly defensible draft pick by pointing out three players still on the board who turned out better. That will almost always be the case. If a guy turns out better than 27 of the next 30 players picked, isn't that pretty good? Brian Leetch was 9th. Does that make the 8 GMs who passed on him all bad assessors of talent? Obviously, when you take a guy generally rated pretty well below where you take him, you open yourself up to criticism, but good GMs have balls. I remember when the Wild used the No. 15 pick to take Brent Burns who was rated a late 2d rounder. The beat writers and posters here in MN when berserk.

Was he injured?

He stated that he's not playing in the WC because of a knee injury he's had nagging him over the course of the season.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/15/henrik-lundqvist-chooses-his-knees-health-over-country/

Henrik Lundqvist declined an invitation to join Team Sweden for the World Championships while citing the knee issue he first referenced at the Rangers’ breakup day on April 10 as the reason.

Lundqvist, who originally sustained the left MCL injury during Tre Kronor’s run to the title last spring, underwent an MRI exam last week that revealed no structural damage.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/10/henrik-lundqvist-reveals-injury-he-battled-most-of-the-year/

Goalies play through injuries, too.

That was the reminder from Henrik Lundqvist on Rangers breakup day Tuesday, when the franchise netminder revealed he had been playing through a knee injury suffered in late-October that was managed for the rest of the regular season.

“From the start of the season, it was fine. It felt good. Then got bumped into early on, late October or November,” Lundqvist said, noting that it was the same knee he hurt in the World Championships last spring after he joined Team Sweden following the Blueshirts’ second-round exit at the hands of the Senators.

“After that, it’s been there. Something I had to deal with … it’s not affecting my play, but it’s something that every day you have to look after. It’s not ideal, but I think it’s part of playing in this league, too. You play every day and you just have to make sure you do whatever is necessary to be ready to play. But now I see an opportunity to get the right treatments and feel 100 percent.”

So obviously the question is why he was playing at all.

Final Central Scouting Rankings are out.

North American Skaters

1- SVECHNIKOV, ANDREI (Right Wing)

2- TKACHUK, BRADY (Left Wing)

3- ZADINA, FILIP (Right Wing)

4- BOUCHARD, EVAN (Defenseman)

5- DOBSON, NOAH (Defenseman)

6- HUGHES, QUINTIN (Defenseman)

7- WAHLSTROM, OLIVER (Right Wing)

8- VELENO, JOSEPH (Center)

9- HAYTON, BARRETT (Center)

10- NOEL, SERRON (Right Wing)

European Skaters

1- DAHLIN, RASMUS (Defenseman)

2- BOQVIST, ADAM (Defenseman)

3- KRAVTSOV, VITALI (Right Wing)

4- KAUT, MARTIN (Right Wing)

5- GINNING, ADAM (Defenseman)

A few things stand out.

Tkachuk swapped with Zadina taking over 2nd spot.

Hughes dropped from 4th to 6th.

Dobson jumped from 8th to 5th.

And keep a eye on Jack Drury. Jumped from 60th to 27, son of Ted and nephew of Chris.

North American Skaters

European Skaters

A few things stand out.

Thanks Puck, there really is an elite 9, so it is likely we will be able to pick one. IMO, after Dahlin there are 2 groups of terrific prospects:

Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov and Boqvist needs to be in the conversation, his upside is sky high.

Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom and Dobson present their own reasons to get excited. In about two months one of these 9 players should be our 1st round pick. And a NY Ranger!

North American Skaters

European Skaters

A few things stand out.

And keep a eye on Jack Drury. Jumped from 60th to 27, son of Ted and nephew of Chris.

So Wahlstrom is 9th? Go and get him!

Strange to see Tkachuk ahead of Zadina. Feels like Svechnikov/Zadina has been locks for 2-3 the entire year. I think I would still go for Zadina at 3rd tho.

Grabner scratched for Game 3. Kinda think he's very available to us if we want him. I still do. What's the harm? The contract will be modest.

I say no. Why would we want him? We need change. If I were him I'd sign wherever AV does. He's clearly a product of the system.

Archived