• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of posters expressed concern about Anderson's foot speed after the Islanders game, so I focused on that watching the Philly game. I understand that sedatives were administered to the entire team before the game, but I have to say that I noticed several sequences where more powerful skating would have gotten Anderson possession. Yes, it's way too early to judge, but let's just say I don't think many NHL team's would trade the 7th pick in this year's or next year's draft for Anderson. By contrast, they all would trade the 21st pick for Chytl.

I did the exact same thing and it was painful to watch. Luckily he's still 18(19?) so his body may not be fully "evolved" phsyically, but it certainly is a issue I hope they adress right away.

If both Wahlstrom and Tkachuk is available, who do you pick?

Tkachuk for me.

Just seems to add something this team has been lacking for a long time. Namely high octane physical play, in combination with a very good all round skill set. A really tough customer, not in the McLeod mould, but with the full package to boost. Goes after every puck as if his life depended on it. We've been too nice for quite some time. I really like that about him and can see him developing into a real leader.

I don't know if anyone posted this, but I have a quick snapshot of the top 20 picks for 2018 and a little blurb on the player from: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

As we get to the end of various hockey seasons things have come into a sharper focus from a scouting POV. And with some high-end players playing in the Five Nations tournament in Plymouth since we last ranked prospects we have more peer-on-peer performances and data to draw from.

One thing that hasn’t changed at all is our top position where Rasmus Dahlin will go wire-to-wire as the top-ranked prospect and will make whichever team that wins the lottery feel a whole lot better about the miserable season that got them there.

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and now Dahlin. Are you ready for the next franchise-changing defenceman from Sweden?

2. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The Mooseheads’ import factory strikes again and sends a high-end sniper to the top of the NHL draft.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Led all scorers at the Five Nations tournament and has put up points at a torrid pace with the Barrie Colts since the world juniors (38 in 22 games).

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): Better than older brother Matthew?

5. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Almtuna IS, Allsvenskan): A fantastic skater and playmaker who isn’t afraid to shoot. If you don’t end up with Dahlin, getting Boqvist is more than just a consolation prize.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): The secret is out, this righthand shot blueliner is legit.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNTDP): Eight points at the Five Nations (tied with tourney leader Svechnikov) and a solid spot on the U.S U18 top line, Wahlstrom continues to produce big in his draft year.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-10, 174 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): One of the most creative players in the draft. An outstanding skater who can create even in the most challenging situations.

10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.

11. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 191 pounds (Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Extremely focussed and hard-working, Hayton is the “all-in” guy every team loves to have. Nursing a small injury and the ‘Hounds are being careful with him.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, 6-feet, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Hard-working, skilled playmaker who is magical with the puck on his stick.

13. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Offensive defenceman who plays physical. Leads all USNTDP blueliners with 32 points. Hard wrist and slap shot from the point.

14. Joe Veleno, C, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL): Has excelled since the trade from Saint John to Drummondville where he’s being coached by the excellent Dominique Ducharme.

15. Grigori Denisenko, LW, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Yaroslavl Jr.): Great passer who also boasts a good shot. Played on the top line with Andrei Svechnikov and Alexander Khovanov for Russia at the Five Nations tourney.

16. Ty Smith, D, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Spokane Chiefs, WHL): Speed and smarts, those are the calling cards of the first overall pick in the 2015 WHL draft.

17. Rasmus Kupari, C, 6-foot-1, 183 pounds (Hermes, Mestis Finland): Not the biggest guy on the ice by any stretch, but can create and finish. And does it all with great bursts of speed.

18. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, 6-foot-2, 190 pounds (Assat, Finnish Liiga): Physically he has everything you want – skill, speed, size and he keeps improving.

19. Jet Woo, D, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL): Has more than a bit of ‘old school’ in his game and isn’t afraid to throw the body around.

20. Rasmus Sandin, D, 5-foot-11, 190 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Even with the Conor Timmins (COL) injury the ‘Hounds have not skipped a beat on the blue line mainly due to Sandin’s work. Plays tough minutes in all situations.

If we cant get in top 3, I want Kotkaniemi.

I dont see anyone in the 4+ being "franchise altering" players, necessarily. So I'd want the guy that can make the biggest aspect the fastest.

Not with the 8th pick. We might be able to move up from our lower picks to get him though.

He’s the guy you trade up from lower picks, not select with a top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's what people like to say online.

Take a look at last years mock drafts. Guys are all over the board.

Draft is mostly luck. I'm not worried about going off the board for a guy we like.

For the most part, I trust management.

(And I'll whine regardless of the pick.)

That's what people like to say online.

Take a look at last years mock drafts. Guys are all over the board.

Draft is mostly luck. I'm not worried about going off the board for a guy we like.

For the most part, I trust management.

(And I'll whine regardless of the pick.)

Last year's draft was way different than this years draft. You don't pick the 20th ranked player with the 8th pick.

We need to Find a head coach to determine the direction of NYR and to hold this team more accountable, and make sure that Gorton needs to held accountable. If he screws up this Draft, put his head on the platter

We won?t know how we did in this draft for another 2-3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived