• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 days till the lottery boys

I'm psyched up with totally unreasonable expectations ... psyched I tell ya ... hoping they will not be dashed with more lame draft-pickery.

How bout youuuu. Trying to think positive, but the track record scares me a bit about our ability to draft top line players.

I’m expecting a defenseman if the Rangers remain at 8 or are moved back by the lottery. One of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Smith will be available. If you’re trying to replace McDonagh at some point there’s your chance. If Wahlstrom falls back to 8 then I’d absolutely grab him.

For the later two picks it all just depends on where they are. I’d go with some assortment of Kaut, Lundkvist, Woo, Bokk and Kravtsov.

Move into top 3 and it’s BPA.

Curious how does having Libor Hajek and Ryan Lindgren in the system affect management's calculus on this. ... do we still need to go D at 8?

We're so deficient in finishing/scoring upfront it's getting scary. It seems urgent that we address the need to draft impact forwards when we have a chance. Yeah, I know. Defense is sucking balls too. Oh well.

While I agree BPA is the best course the further down we go, if we do go D, it needs to be an impact top-pairing defenseman, like the kind we passed on the last time we went of the board with McIlrath.

BPA. Always. No matter the situation. I'd rather have an abundance of assets to trade for what they need than to draft based on needs that can change on a whim.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This. You should pretty much only be going BPA there. Plus neither Lindgren nor Hajek have the potential that Hughes, Bouchard, Smith or Dobson have. Those are all guys who could end up on a first pair if they continue developing properly.

what are we trading to move up?

I can sense some moves coming, and the draft is a great time to get a solid player like that. I just don't feel like Gorton is going to ink EVERYONE of those RFA's under the current cap, so dealing someone to make some room makes sense in order to move up to get a guy like Wahlstrom,....if he's still there.

It's just a gut feeling; a prediction.

I can sense some moves coming, and the draft is a great time to get a solid player like that. I just don't feel like Gorton is going to ink EVERYONE of those RFA's under the current cap, so dealing someone to make some room makes sense in order to move up to get a guy like Wahlstrom,....if he's still there.

It's just a gut feeling; a prediction.

Moving up from from 8 (especially just one spot) isn't really worth it. Although my preference would be Wahlstrom, if he goes 7th, we still get a really good player in one of the D on the board. If we're gonna trade a RFA to move up, I think it's more likely to be to move one of the late firsts into the teens. Especially if they don't get Wahlstrom at 8, moving into the late teens from the late 20's to grab Kotkaniemi would be a great move. Say Florida for example. They have a lot of young skilled forwards. They could use a defensive guy like Hayes. Would they be interested in Hayes and the 31st pick for the 15th pick...

I think I understand this question...because of where we finished (8th from last)' date=' we can only be awarded certain picks in the draft - 1, 2, 3 and then anywhere from 8-11, right?[/quote']

Right, and trading up one spot doesn't make sense because as much as I want Wahlstrom, if he's gone, getting one of the D on the board without giving anything up is the smarter move.

Moving up from from 8 (especially just one spot) isn't really worth it. Although my preference would be Wahlstrom, if he goes 7th, we still get a really good player in one of the D on the board. If we're gonna trade a RFA to move up, I think it's more likely to be to move one of the late firsts into the teens. Especially if they don't get Wahlstrom at 8, moving into the late teens from the late 20's to grab Kotkaniemi would be a great move. Say Florida for example. They have a lot of young skilled forwards. They could use a defensive guy like Hayes. Would they be interested in Hayes and the 31st pick for the 15th pick...

Why do you feel this way? I've also seen a couple of others write the same, about it not being worth moving up. In the NFL it seems to happen all the time with varying degree of results. Why is it not a thing in the NHL draft?

Why do you feel this way? I've also seen a couple of others write the same, about it not being worth moving up. In the NFL it seems to happen all the time with varying degree of results. Why is it not a thing in the NHL draft?

The NFL is different because it is so position based and you're not drafting teenagers. I'd prefer Wahlstrom because he can put the puck in the net, but if he's picked at 6 or 7, there will be 2-3 excellent D prospects there at 8 that will be just as beneficial to the future and we don't have to give up extra assets to get them.

Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.

They've tried to outsmart the scouts a few times. But not always. Miller, Kreider, Staal, Skjei, etc were all fine picks.

What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.

Del Zotto was probably fine, too. I'd have to look back at where he projected, but it was probably right around that 20-mark.

The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.

Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.

Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn?t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you?d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.

Agree with this.

The 2nd tier is picks 2, 3, and 4

Archived