• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

The question is whether Tkachuk has that 60-70 point skillset. His production at the WJC was good while his production at Boston College was average in comparison to other top players who were either NCAA draftees or D+1 players at around the same age. His game is likable. He goes to the dirty areas and can make or finish plays there because of how intelligent he is. He's not a player who has a standout skill that's tangible though. Grit maybe.

I'd still prefer one of Zadina, Svechnikov or Wahlstrom just because they have those shots that make a difference. Tkachuk can power on goal, but he's not known for his shot. Those three are scorers.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question is whether Tkachuk has that 60-70 point skillset. His production at the WJC was good while his production at Boston College was average in comparison to other top players who were either NCAA draftees or D+1 players at around the same age. His game is likable. He goes to the dirty areas and can make or finish plays there because of how intelligent he is. He's not a player who has a standout skill that's tangible though. Grit maybe.

I'd still prefer one of Zadina, Svechnikov or Wahlstrom just because they have those shots that make a difference. Tkachuk can power on goal, but he's not known for his shot. Those three are scorers.

And this is the difference. I don't care about points, I want to focus on goals. If the team needs a 70 point player... that's a 35/35 guy, not a guy that's more 20/50.

And this is the difference. I don't care about points, I want to focus on goals. If the team needs a 70 point player... that's a 35/35 guy, not a guy that's more 20/50.

I would have a boner from the draft untill the first game of the season if we got Wahlstrom at 8th. 40 goals and 43 assist this season, that boy can score goals.

This is exactly what they should be concerned with. We need someone who can score goals period. That should be the main thing to get in this draft.

I think most describe him as a 30/30 + guy.

But if we're looking for goals it's Zadina all the way imo. A bonafide sniper.

I agree with all this, and I already had this argument with Puck Head. If we get into the 2 or 3 spot it's Zadina or Svechinkov. At 8, hopefully Walhstrom is still there. Even more hope, Boston gets ousted in the 1st round and we can land Kotkaniemi in the early 20's. If Kotkaniemi is gone by the early 20's, then I go D in that spot and look for Bokk with the Tampa pick. Long story short, draft some shooters.

I’m expecting a defenseman if the Rangers remain at 8 or are moved back by the lottery. One of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Smith will be available. If you’re trying to replace McDonagh at some point there’s your chance. If Wahlstrom falls back to 8 then I’d absolutely grab him.

For the later two picks it all just depends on where they are. I’d go with some assortment of Kaut, Lundkvist, Woo, Bokk and Kravtsov.

Move into top 3 and it’s BPA.

I’m expecting a defenseman if the Rangers remain at 8 or are moved back by the lottery. One of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Smith will be available. If you’re trying to replace McDonagh at some point there’s your chance. If Wahlstrom falls back to 8 then I’d absolutely grab him.

For the later two picks it all just depends on where they are. I’d go with some assortment of Kaut, Lundkvist, Woo, Bokk and Kravtsov.

Forgot about Kaut...

Zadina - Chytil - Kaut = Czech Posse 2.0

Forgot about Kaut...

Zadina - Chytil - Kaut = Czech Posse 2.0

Most have. He's a late first who could definitely be around for a Ranger pick. My only issue is that he's only slightly older than Chytil and doesn't have a particularly special skillset. Will his playmaking translate? We'll see. He's been solid in Extraliga.

His brother paced out on a 30/30 season in his second year for Calgary.

He did play on the second line, i assume if/when he moves with Johnny G those numbers go up.

Younger brother for all intensive purposes is better than Matthew in every facet.

That being said, i don?t think I?d pick him before 3 or 4

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not sure how many folks caught the NCAA tourney. I watched a few Mich and BU games. Hughes looked much better than he did in the world Jrs. His skating and offensive skillset was always evident, but he looked small and lost on D. Now he is much more confident and better defensively, even if he still needs a lot more seasoning there. He is dynamic with a lot of upside. I'd take him before Dobson or Smith.

Tkachuk was impressive too and had a dominant presence on the ice. He compares to the talented 2 way power forwards of the past. Like his father and he'll probably become a better version of his brother. He has a little Cam Neely or Iginla in him. He has softer/better hands than his brother so he is very capable of 30/30 once he is mature. He is certainly worthy of a top 3-4 pick. Zadina does have some Laine characteristics which makes him very tempting. But I might take Tkachuk 3rd, after Zadina.

The other gem of the draft, not spoken about enough is Boqvist. After Rasmus, he should easily be the next Dman selected. Talk about a dynamic, explosive defensemen. This kid could be great and if the Rangers end up 8th or 9th, I'd be tempted to trade up a few picks to nab him. The top 5 picks seem easy. If we don't win our 19% chance at a top 3, I'd consider trading up to get either pick #4 or #5, if possible.

This would be a real mind fuck.

Dobson could be a huge asset considering his RH shot.

i thought the same thing given all the complaining about this in other threads.

he is a bit on the small size however. i watched some highlights but frankly they are hard to discern how good he is as it really moves at a snail pace to the nhl.

i thought the same thing given all the complaining about this in other threads.

he is a bit on the small size however. i watched some highlights but frankly they are hard to discern how good he is as it really moves at a snail pace to the nhl.

He's lanky, but he's not small. He's bound to fill out his frame. He does a lot of things right though. I wasn't too big on him because he's not flashy. He's been too good to ignore though. He's very close to being ready for the next level. He's one of the stronger candidates to be a top pairing defenseman.

He's lanky, but he's not small. He's bound to fill out his frame. He does a lot of things right though. I wasn't too big on him because he's not flashy. He's been too good to ignore though. He's very close to being ready for the next level. He's one of the stronger candidates to be a top pairing defenseman.

That's probably my favorite part about our draft choices last year. Obviously you want to pick the best players availible, but the ability to send a player from Europe to the AHL seems to have really benefited Chytil and Andersson. Seems silly to force these kids that dominate junior, to return to junior if they aren't quite ready for the NHL. Maybe they'll address that in the next CBA as the league continues to get younger and younger.

That's probably my favorite part about our draft choices last year. Obviously you want to pick the best players availible, but the ability to send a player from Europe to the AHL seems to have really benefited Chytil and Andersson. Seems silly to force these kids that dominate junior, to return to junior if they aren't quite ready for the NHL. Maybe they'll address that in the next CBA as the league continues to get younger and younger.

I don't think there is anything they can do about the age restriction for the AHL. If they lifted it, the CHL would be decimated because that draft-ready age group would just go right to the AHL.

I don't think there is anything they can do about the age restriction for the AHL. If they lifted it, the CHL would be decimated because that draft-ready age group would just go right to the AHL.
I don't think there are that many 18 or 19 year olds in this group that it would decimate the CHL. We're talking roughly 2 per NHL team, and that doesn't mean all of those drafted teens would necessarily go to the A. But it's stupid to force a 19 yo that's already dominated the CHL to go back for another year. It would probably be better for the CHL as these players are frequently trade to the same teams as teams load up for memorial cup runs...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived