• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boqvist won’t be available past 5 or 6. And there will likely be a player better than Hayton still available at 9 if they stay there.

Noel is a risky pick anywhere above the early-to-mid-20’s. Love his size and has good speed and skating for a big man, but not a great shot or great hands. Looks like a bit of a project player. They already made that mistake with McIlrath.

There's a lot of gems in the 9-20 area. The more I read in to it, the more I'm ready just to make the #9 pick and use on of the others ++ to get up in the 15ish area.

I really want Kravtsov. I think he's a top 10 in this draft that won't go in the top 10.

There's a lot of gems in the 9-20 area. The more I read in to it, the more I'm ready just to make the #9 pick and use on of the others ++ to get up in the 15ish area.

I really want Kravtsov. I think he's a top 10 in this draft that won't go in the top 10.

I don't think Kravtsov is a top 10 talent, but he's certainly one of the better and more NHL ready guys available. He's a guy they can probably target with a late 1st. He was productive in both the MHL and KHL playoffs, but Russian factor despite not being a stereotypical European player.

I don’t get why they have to trade up at all. Is Tkachuk a significantly better player than say wahlstrom? For a team like the rangers who have lots of needs wouldn’t say wahlstrom and Noel/Wilde/merkley be better than 1 guy say Tkachuk or Zadina? To me if it’s not about right now I want multiple shots at a deep draft not less.

That is also a fair point and a strong possibility. I just like the idea of trading up as your level of certainty and odds of getting a great player are better the higher you go.

They can still get a great player at 9, which has been a good place to draft over the last 10-12 years.

If you are looking at the prospects 6-10, in no particular order, it’s something like Boqvist/Hughes/Wahlstrom/Bouchard/Veleno. That’s a good group too. The ceilings maybe aren’t quite as high and there’s a lesser degree of certainty, but still a strong group. If they feel strongly about a couple of guys at the bottom end of that group that they feel would be there, I’m ok with them sitting still.

If they do stay put at 9, I still would like to see them use other picks to move a bit higher in round 1, maybe snag a 2nd pick in the teens. I’d rather 1 pick in the teens than 2 at 27-31.

Exactly my thoughts. The potential will be there in that 10-20 in this draft that having multiple shots would be best

Exactly my thoughts. The potential will be there in that 10-20 in this draft that having multiple shots would be best

Keeping the pick at 9 and maybe using the lower 1st rounders to move up into 11-20 is a fine approach as well. If they feel they’ll get an impact guy at 9, which looks like a decent possibility, and can get another pick in top-20 which gives you another higher percentage shot at a real NHL player, then go ahead. If they’re confident they can get two legit NHL players in those 2 spots, I’m on board.

What exactly is the fascination with 11-20 all of a sudden? The Rangers shouldn't trade back from #9. Do you want a chance at elite talent? Then take it. There's a chance someone in there reaches and someone falls. There are also plenty of options at the end of the 1st and early 2nd. This draft isn't very clear beyond the top 10 or so and even that's been moving the last month. We won't have a good idea until early June at the combine.

Didn't you just say in another thread that the Isles should move 11+12 to move up?

No I was saying that they could offer a better deal to a team sitting in the top 5 if they packaged those two picks together if they chose to. I don’t think the rangers or isles would be wise to move up. After the top 3 guys I don’t think there is much difference again until around 20 or so.

What exactly is the fascination with 11-20 all of a sudden? The Rangers shouldn't trade back from #9. Do you want a chance at elite talent? Then take it. There's a chance someone in there reaches and someone falls. There are also plenty of options at the end of the 1st and early 2nd. This draft isn't very clear beyond the top 10 or so and even that's been moving the last month. We won't have a good idea until early June at the combine.

I, personally, am not high on the Dobson, Smith, Veleno, Farabe, Hayton group.

I like Kotkaniemi, although maybe not ranked at 9.

You can get depth centers in Lundestrom, Oolfsson or Thomas , potential scoring wingers in Kravtsov, Bokk or Kaut, solid D in Miller, Wilde, or Sandin.

I think most of these guys are more likely to exceed expectations than the 3-10 group is to meet expectations.

I, personally, am not high on the Dobson, Smith, Veleno, Farabe, Hayton group.

I like Kotkaniemi, although maybe not ranked at 9.

You can get depth centers in Lundestrom, Oolfsson or Thomas , potential scoring wingers in Kravtsov, Bokk or Kaut, solid D in Miller, Wilde, or Sandin.

I think most of these guys are more likely to exceed expectations than the 3-10 group is to meet expectations.

Also a fair observation.

This year, it?s really a consensus at 1, then a consensus at 2-4 in the 3 wingers. Then a group of 4 D, a W and a C at 6-10.

It?s certain at 1.

Very confident at 2, 3, and 4.

Good confidence but only medium certainty at 6-10.

Fair chance at 11-20.

Better then normal chance 21-31

After 1st round, all bets are off, unless it?s an exceptional draft like 2003.

read about his centerman, first.

josh did you watch any of the u18's? Yes Hughes is phenomenal. Wahlstrom is a stud in his own right. He scored on the team usa u18 team last year, he scored there this year while hughes was on the u17 team. Wahlstrom has a lethal shot. Craig Button, when asked to compare him to an NHLer, Mike Bossey. I know you like Kotkaniemi. I do too, but at 9 Wahlstrom is my first choice and Kotkaniemi is the consolation prize.

josh did you watch any of the u18's? Yes Hughes is phenomenal. Wahlstrom is a stud in his own right. He scored on the team usa u18 team last year, he scored there this year while hughes was on the u17 team. Wahlstrom has a lethal shot. Craig Button, when asked to compare him to an NHLer, Mike Bossey. I know you like Kotkaniemi. I do too, but at 9 Wahlstrom is my first choice and Kotkaniemi is the consolation prize.

just the end,

Did I miss anything??

Archived