• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

if you're convinced Wahlstrom is a product of Hughes, then you didn't get a large enough sample size of Wahlstrom's shot. Kid can rip it. Quick release, hard, accurate.

He hadn’t done anything close to impressive until this season. Comparing anything he’s done prior to this season is nothing more than ordinary.

I do like some of what he offers, and I’m the first to overlook defensive deficiencies if the offensive numbers are there... but I’m wary.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
josh did you watch any of the u18's? Yes Hughes is phenomenal. Wahlstrom is a stud in his own right. He scored on the team usa u18 team last year, he scored there this year while hughes was on the u17 team. Wahlstrom has a lethal shot. Craig Button, when asked to compare him to an NHLer, Mike Bossey. I know you like Kotkaniemi. I do too, but at 9 Wahlstrom is my first choice and Kotkaniemi is the consolation prize.

would make him a slam dunk no. 1 in my book...

New ISS Rankings

1- Rasmus Dahlin (LD)

2- Adrei Svechnikov (RW)

3- Flip Zadina (RW)

4- Brady Tkachuk (RW)

5- Oliver Wahlstrom ©

6- Evan Bouchard (RD)

7- Quinn Hughes (LD)

8- Adam Boqvist (LD)

9- Noah Dobson (RD)

10- Joseph Veleno ©

11- Joel Farabee (LW)

12- Barrett Hayton ©

13- Martin Kaut (RW)

14- Noel Serron (RW)

15- Rasmus Kupari ©

1-7 remain the same.

Boqvist moves from 9 to 8

Dobson moves from 8 to 9

Farabee moves from 16 to 11

Kaut moves from 17 to 13

Kupari moves from 14 to 15

Kaut's stock rising after playing with Chytil, nice. Could be an interesting pick, we ned RW's, righty as well, chemistry and mates with Chytil and a good PP player.

I've wanted us to pick a winger with our pick since deadline, but the more I think about it, maybe a D would be the smartest move. Dont know which one of them tho. Boqvist would be nice if he fell all the way to us, Bouchard cause he's a righty? Dont want Dobson to be honest.

Offseason Thoughts

I hope they dont sign Stastny.

Skjei hasnt earned a big contract - bridge him

No contracts between 4m - 6m per year, at any length, unless its a superstar taking a drastic pay cut. This is the "danger zone". Too many middle-tier players getting over paid by 1 or 2m per season. It's a cap killer.

Offseason Thoughts

No contracts between 4m - 6m per year, at any length, unless its a superstar taking a drastic pay cut. This is the "danger zone". Too many middle-tier players getting over paid by 1 or 2m per season. It's a cap killer.

I?m good with this.

I just hope they don't trade their picks, build a deep team from the ground up.

And this. Although I?m hoping they go for the most skilled available over what seems safest as others have stated.

I’m hoping they go for the most skilled available over what seems safest as others have stated.
I've been eyeing high-risk, high-reward type players that could drop to the lower 1st or in the top of the 2nd with our other two picks.

Ryan Merkley seems like the biggest risk/reward guy available. Wheeler states that only Dahlin is more offensively gifted than Merkley but there are rumors that he's not on some team's draft boards due to immaturity issues. Sounds a bit like DeAngelo.

Ryan McLeod is another guy with an ideal size/skill/speed/IQ combo tinged with inconsistency and attitude concerns.

I've read a lot about Alexander Khovanov, who dealt with Hep-A over the summer and missed the first half of the QMJHL season. Pronman comments on his hands, high-end skill "but the attribute that drives his value is his hockey sense". Could be an interesting buy-low candidate considering his stats (9 goals, 28 points in 29 games) don't reflect his projectable skill.

Offseason Thoughts

He's been great for the Jets, but yeah I don't want anyone over 26 signed to a 7 year contract.

Bridging may be an outdated concept that causes more cap mgmt issues than it solves. Let's stop the Sather dogmatism. Skjei is a good young Dman who had a down year. We have to be smarter and more proactive versus reactive. Buy low and sign him through his prime, it won't be an inflated contract. Healthy, he will always have value and can be traded if he can't be the player we saw until last year.

Speaking of dogmatic, that seems like a ridiculous and arbitrary guideline. I get what you are trying to prevent, but the Rangers need to be much more situational than that, in their decision making. They can't be too formulaic based on a few anecdotal examples. The player and team makeup really makes the difference.

I've been eyeing high-risk, high-reward type players that could drop to the lower 1st or in the top of the 2nd with our other two picks.

Ryan Merkley seems like the biggest risk/reward guy available. Wheeler states that only Dahlin is more offensively gifted than Merkley but there are rumors that he's not on some team's draft boards due to immaturity issues. Sounds a bit like DeAngelo.

Ryan McLeod is another guy with an ideal size/skill/speed/IQ combo tinged with inconsistency and attitude concerns.

I've read a lot about Alexander Khovanov, who dealt with Hep-A over the summer and missed the first half of the QMJHL season. Pronman comments on his hands, high-end skill "but the attribute that drives his value is his hockey sense". Could be an interesting buy-low candidate considering his stats (9 goals, 28 points in 29 games) don't reflect his projectable skill.

Thanks for the good input Joe. Merkley and McLeod both concern me. Right now it is important that we introduce high character, hard working players into the system. Attitude and character issues are red flags for good reason and should not be overlooked in the overall grade of the player. Sometimes it should take them off the board, at least with regard to premium picks.

It is very difficult for fans and outsiders to evaluate a players attitude and character. It is critical the teams do there homework and extra DD and many interviews to fess out the issues and determine if they are correctable for that person. An inexact science to say the least. How much one discounts a players abilities based on these concerns is subjective. It seems difficult for us to evaluate either of these two players and I'm not too excited about choosing either in the 1st round.

Everyone loves a bargain and I'm no different there. However, my life experiences and also being a lifelong sport fan has taught me that some talent are not worth the trouble and can do more harm then good.

I've been eyeing high-risk, high-reward type players

Have to look into Khovanov more. One more thing on high risk/reward selections. The type of high risks that seem to have huge payoffs is undersized guys with speed and skill. For instance, Brayden Point and Vinnie Trocheck both slipped all the way to the third because of size. Even in the first round we see very skilled guys slip a few spots because of height, weight or physicality.

The bias leads to some players being underdrafted, especially since there are still GM's who overvalue measurements compared to skill. The other reason I like these risks is the basic fact that these kids are 18 and some of them have a bit of growing left.

Scouting combine in Buff from May 27 to June 2. Anybody here attending? Teams often begin trade conversations here.

May not have a coach before it is over. The Marlies swept Syracuse May 8, yet the semi-finals do not begin till May 19th. Bah

My first mock draft (1-20)

https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/59599

Round 1

1. Rasmus Dahlin (Buffalo Sabres) (Details: Obviously).

2. Andrei Svechnikov (Carolina Hurricanes).

3. Filip Zadina (Montreal Canadiens).

4. Adam Boqvist (Ottawa Senators) (Details: offensive-dman replacement with a ton of potential).

5. Quinton Hughes (Arizona Coyotes) (Details: Perfect fit to go with their young group of dynamic forwards).

6. Evan Bouchard (Detroit Red Wings).

7. Noah Dobson (Vancouver Canucks) (Details: Good skating dman with good offensive potential their system lacks).

8. Brady Tkachuk (Chicago Blackhawks) (Details: Get "lucky" with Tkachuk falling... but most teams already knew this was going to happen.).

9. Oliver Wahlstrom (New York Rangers) (Details: Future goal scorer theyve been looking for).

10. Ryan Merkley (Edmonton Oilers) (Details: why not).

11. Joseph Veleno (New York Islanders) (Details: Hoping he can eventually help fill the void after JT leaves this summer.).

12. Ty Smith (New York Islanders from Calgary Flames) (Details: Stable backliner.).

13. Joel Farabee (Dallas Stars) (Details: A good complement to their current roster and prospect pool).

14. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Philadelphia Flyers from St. Louis Blues) (Details: Seems to be their type of player.).

15. Bode Wilde (Florida Panthers).

16. Rasmus Kupari (Colorado Avalanche).

17. Akil Thomas (New Jersey Devils).

18. Ryan McLeod (Columbus Blue Jackets).

19. Calen Addison (Philadelphia Flyers).

20. Isac Lundestr?m (Los Angeles Kings).

21. Barrett Hayton (San Jose Sharks).

22. Jared McIsaac (Ottawa Senators from Pittsburgh Penguins).

CapFriendly.com User-Generated Mock-Draft

No way both Tkachuk and Walhstrom falls to 8 and 9, would be sweet, but probably both will be taken before Hawks pick.

I read somewhere that Oilers were willing to trade the #10 for a D. Klefbom, 10# for Risto was mentioned on Twitter (lol). Makes me think we maybe rushed it With McD if we could get a deal done with Chiarelli instead of Yz.

No way both Tkachuk and Walhstrom falls to 8 and 9, would be sweet, but probably both will be taken before Hawks pick.

I read somewhere that Oilers were willing to trade the #10 for a D. Klefbom, 10# for Risto was mentioned on Twitter (lol). Makes me think we maybe rushed it With McD if we could get a deal done with Chiarelli instead of Yz.

Outside of Nurse (and maybe Klef, if he bounces back), they need help all over the blueline. However, the Oil are desperate to add a winger who can play some O with McDavid. They seem fixated on that issue. They finally seemed to realize that a Pat Maroon, in that role, is pretty fuckin stupid.

We talked before about the teams who would be inclined to trade a high pick to get better immediately. Teams who've had inordinate amount of high picks and are getting impatient. Basically the Sabres and Oilers. Well, the Sabres fell into Dahlin, which is the one pick they won't trade. However, the Oiler's 10th pick may be traded to fill one of the roster needs mentioned.

IMO, Zuc and/or Spooner would improve their O. Maybe they'd be interested in an Dman like Shatty too. How about upgrading our Tampa pick. Add a 3rd or two to balance things out. Maybe the devil's 2nd if they only want 1 roster player. If the pick was 8th instead of 10th, I'd press very hard, since I believe the top 9 are on a different tier.

It never hurts to explore a deal with Chiarelli.

I would bet my next paycheck that Edmonton was one of the 10 teams that McD had on his No Trade Clause

My first mock draft (1-20)

https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/59599

Round 1

1. Rasmus Dahlin (Buffalo Sabres) (Details: Obviously).

2. Andrei Svechnikov (Carolina Hurricanes).

3. Filip Zadina (Montreal Canadiens).

4. Adam Boqvist (Ottawa Senators) (Details: offensive-dman replacement with a ton of potential).

5. Quinton Hughes (Arizona Coyotes) (Details: Perfect fit to go with their young group of dynamic forwards).

6. Evan Bouchard (Detroit Red Wings).

7. Noah Dobson (Vancouver Canucks) (Details: Good skating dman with good offensive potential their system lacks).

8. Brady Tkachuk (Chicago Blackhawks) (Details: Get "lucky" with Tkachuk falling... but most teams already knew this was going to happen.).

9. Oliver Wahlstrom (New York Rangers) (Details: Future goal scorer theyve been looking for).

10. Ryan Merkley (Edmonton Oilers) (Details: why not).

11. Joseph Veleno (New York Islanders) (Details: Hoping he can eventually help fill the void after JT leaves this summer.).

12. Ty Smith (New York Islanders from Calgary Flames) (Details: Stable backliner.).

13. Joel Farabee (Dallas Stars) (Details: A good complement to their current roster and prospect pool).

14. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Philadelphia Flyers from St. Louis Blues) (Details: Seems to be their type of player.).

15. Bode Wilde (Florida Panthers).

16. Rasmus Kupari (Colorado Avalanche).

17. Akil Thomas (New Jersey Devils).

18. Ryan McLeod (Columbus Blue Jackets).

19. Calen Addison (Philadelphia Flyers).

20. Isac Lundestr?m (Los Angeles Kings).

21. Barrett Hayton (San Jose Sharks).

22. Jared McIsaac (Ottawa Senators from Pittsburgh Penguins).

CapFriendly.com User-Generated Mock-Draft

From everything I've seen, most people are thinking Merkley as a late first rounder. You think he moves up the draft board that much?

Archived