• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep thinking that getting Karlsson essentially wastes 2-3 years of top dollar, foregoes a potential #1, and just proves the Rangers can't resist a superstar that may have crested the hill. But he would be that great example/teacher for the lads, could provide moral support for Hank through the trough, and none of those pieces is so golden that we couldn't lose it. I guess you don't get one like him very often.

I don't know about his injury status and whether he's going to be the same, but if Karlsson could take Ottawa's rump squad to the second overtime period in the seventh game of the conference finals, he could do quite a lot with the Rangers. Are the Rangers now a worse team than Ottawa, outside of Karlsson, was last year?

I keep thinking that getting Karlsson essentially wastes 2-3 years of top dollar, foregoes a potential #1, and just proves the Rangers can't resist a superstar that may have crested the hill. But he would be that great example/teacher for the lads, could provide moral support for Hank through the trough, and none of those pieces is so golden that we couldn't lose it. I guess you don't get one like him very often.

No question.

Have to take into account how quick the rebuild will be, how long you think Karlsson will stay “in his prime” ( or current state), and how long you think he’ll be an effective defenseman after that.

How management answers those questions will determine how they will proceed, but I’m not sure they want give up the necessary pieces to acquire him.

IMO Karlsson and/or Max Pac are a step backwards toward the quick fix mentality that got us into a demise worthy of a "Fire Sale" in the first place.

Montreal is in the same situation, and Ottawa is being proactive to avoid the NYR burning dumpster fire fate.

Why step forward only to repeat the mistakes of the all too recent past?

No thank you. Maybe review with younger FA's in a few (optimistic) years when we are perhaps thinking about going deep again.

Just saw that Montreal might be looking to move Max Pac, wouldn’t mind him here.

Seems like every "name" player that's mentioned, someone has this same response.

In no way does Pacioretty make sense for the Rangers. Huge price tag of young assets for a player who's on the back end of his career. It's the opposite of what's going on here.

What about taking on Ryan's AND Cally's contracts?

Tampa Sends Sergachev+ B lister/Picks to Ottawa; Tampa sends a useful piece (TBD) to New York + Guarantees 1st; Ottawa sends Formenton to New York; New York sends a 2nd to Ottawa

Tampa Sends Sergachev+ B lister/Picks to Ottawa; Tampa sends a useful piece (TBD) to New York + Guarantees 1st; Ottawa sends Formenton to New York; New York sends a 2nd to Ottawa

Doesnt sound like itd be enough for NYR to do that, or enough for Ottawa to trade Karlsson. A guaranteed 1st/Formenton/TBD from TB probably gets me to bite on taking back Callahan (without losing a 2nd rounder either). No way I take Ryan also for that.

Dunny you are going to hate this but... I love it! Was thinking the exact same thing. Ottawa wants something else. Tampa can't take Ryan. We take Ryan and Cally.

So we get Formenton and we need two pieces from Tampa. Here are fair pieces for the Rangers, though I doubt Tampa chooses 2,3, or 4:

1. Auto upgrade pick to a first.

2. Anthony Cirelli

3. Cal Foote

4. Yanni Gourde (this would save Tampa $)

5. Boris Katchouk

6. Taylor Raddysh

MC51, Bobby Ryan is not the worst guy or contract to take on. And he isn't slow and poison like Lucic We get 3 new legit pieces for our future and decent character, for cap space. Have you found a better use of our cap space yet?

I don't hate it, but I think that would really depend on what (TBD) ends up being lol.

Effectively adding Formenton AND Raddysh/Katchouk for Bobby Ryan would be a good deal for the Rangers. Cally gets you the pick, basically, but that's fine because his contract isn't prohibitive in the future.

I don't hate it, but I think that would really depend on what (TBD) ends up being lol.

Effectively adding Formenton AND Raddysh/Katchouk for Bobby Ryan would be a good deal for the Rangers. Cally gets you the pick, basically, but that's fine because his contract isn't prohibitive in the future.

Well, do you object to any of the six TBD's suggested?

Just because you have cap space this season doesn't mean you should commit to 4 years of a junk contract. I'd like to think in 2 years we would be in a position where adding a good UFA or two would put us in a position to be competitive. I don't want Bobby Ryan to prevent us from doing so. The return has to be excellent to consider it. An upgrade from a conditional 1st/2nd to a guaranteed 1st...which will be a later first...a nd 1-2 decent prospects is not good enough to me for both Callahan and Ryan.

Just because you have cap space this season doesn't mean you should commit to 4 years of a junk contract. I'd like to think in 2 years we would be in a position where adding a good UFA or two would put us in a position to be competitive. I don't want Bobby Ryan to prevent us from doing so. The return has to be excellent to consider it. An upgrade from a conditional 1st/2nd to a guaranteed 1st...which will be a later first...a nd 1-2 decent prospects is not good enough to me for both Callahan and Ryan.

Fair enough, but understand we want and are talking about 2 good prospects, not "1-2 decent ones". Also, a #1 pick even if it is pick #29 is light years better than pick #60. In next years draft, #29 is a real player, pick #60 is almost a longshot to play 200 NHL games.

So overall we are getting 3 good prospects/assets for helping make this trade happen. As you said, Cally is immaterial. It is a homerun and likely won't happen.

Fair enough, but understand we want and are talking about 2 good prospects, not "1-2 decent ones". Also, a #1 pick even if it is pick #29 is light years better than pick #60. In next years draft, #29 is a real player, pick #60 is almost a longshot to play 200 NHL games.

So overall we are getting 3 good prospects/assets for helping make this trade happen. As you said, Cally is immaterial. It is a homerun and likely won't happen.

Honestly my only hesitation on Callahan is the grudge I hold against him. His contract and the kind of player he is, is perfect for our current situation.

Well, do you object to any of the six TBD's suggested?

Well the upgrade to the guaranteed first was part of Dunny's, but I don't like Gourde or Foote.

For me to take on both Ryan and Callahan...

Formenton

Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli

TB Guaranteed 1st.

I can live with that, but I'm not sending OTT a 2nd.

Well the upgrade to the guaranteed first was part of Dunny's, but I don't like Gourde or Foote.

For me to take on both Ryan and Callahan...

Formenton

Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli

TB Guaranteed 1st.

I can live with that, but I'm not sending OTT a 2nd.

Fair. Actually perfect.

Well if I must disagree with something, Foote belongs in the Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli group. I'd bet Yzerman would be least likely to include Foote out of all the options. Especially if Sergachev is going to Ottawa.

You/we will see soon. Foote is probably a year away and his arrow continues to point up. He has a high floor and a reasonably high ceiling given his size, smarts and now improved skating.

unless we get blown away on the return i'd shy away from taking on dead salary at this point. certainly not for the prospect of helping tampa bay becoming anymore of a power house than they already are.

Yeah, but in getting 2 very good prospects (plus Ottawa is getting paid too) we are gutting their future. Add something from Ottawa and man our future is looking bright. What a turnaround in our system and accelerated rebuild. Plus we still have more assets and some vets still to trade.

Fair. Actually perfect.

Well if I must disagree with something, Foote belongs in the Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli group. I'd bet Yzerman would be least likely to include Foote out of all the options. Especially if Sergachev is going to Ottawa.

You/we will see soon. Foote is probably a year away and his arrow continues to point up. He has a high floor and a reasonably high ceiling given his size, smarts and now improved skating.

I don't think Foote is a significantly better prospect than any of Hajek, Lindgren, Lundqvist or Miller and Reunanen, Sjalin and Day all have NHL potential, to varying degrees.. Add those 7 to Skjei, Pionk and ADA, and you've got 10 middle/bottom pair defensemen.

The Rangers need gamebreakers and wingers. Foote is neither.

I don't think Foote is a significantly better prospect than any of Hajek, Lindgren, Lundqvist or Miller and Reunanen, Sjalin and Day all have NHL potential, to varying degrees.. Add those 7 to Skjei, Pionk and ADA, and you've got 10 middle/bottom pair defensemen.

The Rangers need gamebreakers and wingers. Foote is neither.

Well yeah he is neither a gamebreaker or winger. Nothing wrong with preferring the other options. Yet, looking for a different type of player is no reason to denigrate his prospects.

There is a reason Foote is more highly valued to Yzerman than any Ranger Dman you mentioned besides Skjei. Foote was off limits to us, Hajek was not. No knock on Hajek, I'm optimistic about him. Foote was selected in the middle of last year's 1st round and so far it looks like a good pick. Dmen who have top 4 written all over them (no red flags) are very highly valued. Your projections seem to undervalue him.

Archived