• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

Getting Foote AND firming the conditional into a 1st is essentially giving us TBL's next and last year's 1sts and I would think pretty unlikely. Just getting Foote INSTEAD of the conditional is potentially (should the Leafs smoke TBL in the division final) moving from a future 58th to a concrete (2017) 14th that is 2 yrs closer to the NHL. Looking at what it cost to move from 26 to 22 in this past draft, that's a lot of value for spending a few mil on Cally. That also puts their 2019 1st back in play as part of the return for OTT and makes the whole thing more likely to happen. But even that may be too much for Stevie.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting Foote AND firming the conditional into a 1st is essentially giving us TBL's next and last year's 1sts and I would think pretty unlikely. Just getting Foote INSTEAD of the conditional is potentially (should the Leafs smoke TBL in the division final) moving from a future 58th to a concrete (2017) 14th that is 2 yrs closer to the NHL. Looking at what it cost to move from 26 to 22 in this past draft, that's a lot of value for spending a few mil on Cally. That also puts their 2019 1st back in play as part of the return for OTT and makes the whole thing more likely to happen. But even that may be too much for Stevie.

Excellent post Rodrigue and it still may be too optimistic. Stevie values Serg and Foote highly. It would seem one has to go to Ottawa, unless Point is the main piece, which I doubt. Yzerman will want to keep at least one of the two Dmen.

I still think the best we can hope for is Taylor Raddysh or Boris Katchouk. I'd give them their pick back if they send both wingers our way. What else would interest us. Yanni Gourde, who needs a contract? Anthony Cirelli is interesting, but he showed well with the Bolts and is too valuable to send just to take Cally.

Yzerman has no deadline, he's probably playing us against other clubs to widdle down the comp.

Rangers have zero reason to budge here. If tampa wants Karlsson then they need the cap space. Callys contract is a joke and a first minimum is required to take it on. That’s an additional first not turning the conditional we already own into no conditions. Foote or katchook would be ok too but that’s it. The rangers have no reason to help them. The cap space holds its value no reason to give it up unless it’s worth it

Rangers have zero reason to budge here. If tampa wants Karlsson then they need the cap space. Callys contract is a joke and a first minimum is required to take it on. That’s an additional first not turning the conditional we already own into no conditions. Foote or katchook would be ok too but that’s it. The rangers have no reason to help them. The cap space holds its value no reason to give it up unless it’s worth it

I agree that we are useful to the deal and have cards to play. But we aren't the only ones with cap space.

No, but they have the most, and of the teams with oodles of cap room, are the only one rebuilding who probably don't care about losing next year. Winning and New Jersey aren't there. The Isles kind of are, but I doubt they'd admit it. Vegas really isn't, and Ottawa is, but are run by a notorious cheapskate.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, but they have the most, and of the teams with oodles of cap room, are the only one rebuilding who probably don't care about losing next year. Winning and New Jersey aren't there. The Isles kind of are, but I doubt they'd admit it. Vegas really isn't, and Ottawa is, but are run by a notorious cheapskate.

What do you think is a reasonable bottom line?

I agree that we are useful to the deal and have cards to play. But we aren't the only ones with cap space.

No we aren’t but we a team who isn’t concerned about every penny spent. The rangers should be willing to use some cash to acquire assets unlike many of the others with space. Also and more important is that the rangers don’t have any players coming up on big raises that they have to sign. The rangers space is long term while the jets for instance isn’t.

Regardless teams don’t just take bad contracts off teams hands. We have had our bad contracts over the years and they’ve become impossible to move. If Stevie y wants to move cally then it’s far past time to make him bleed. If some other team wants to let him off the hook than do be it

No we aren’t but we a team who isn’t concerned about every penny spent. The rangers should be willing to use some cash to acquire assets unlike many of the others with space. Also and more important is that the rangers don’t have any players coming up on big raises that they have to sign. The rangers space is long term while the jets for instance isn’t.

Regardless teams don’t just take bad contracts off teams hands. We have had our bad contracts over the years and they’ve become impossible to move. If Stevie y wants to move cally then it’s far past time to make him bleed. If some other team wants to let him off the hook than do be it

Good points. Thanks.

What do you think is a reasonable bottom line?

If the rangers are taking cap only (as in just ryan or Ryan, and not Karlsson/Kuc) the return needs to be big. A 2nd + from Ottawa (they won’t, as they do to have picks) or a 1st or top prospect from TB, and probably add to that.

Rangers aren’t taking on dead weight for free.

Depends on all the other pieces involved. What I'm saying is I'm not taking ol' Brillo pad back without a serious kicker. Especially if EK65 is staying in Tampa. A team the Rangers will already be fighting to get past in order to win themselves. You want to load up with the Rangers' help? It's going to cost you more than whatever Karlssons's price tag may be. You're going to pay the Rangers, too. Significantly.

Absolutely. They can’t expect to have the Rangers help in bringing in their final piece for an immediate run at the Cup without giving up part of their future.

That acquisition is going to hurt a bit. In particular because they can’t swing it without us (or somebody else willing to eat salary).

Hayes and Skjei are currently not under contract, and are going to get big-time raises. Buch comes off his ELC after next year and will, presumably, get a huge raise. Zucc is a UFA after next season.

The Rangers are in a good cap space, but they've got about $20m per year they need to give out in contracts over this offseason and the next, not including guys like Vesey, Spooner, Pionk, and ADA.

Any chance that with these talks going on, the Rangers might just want to step in and trade for Karlsson?

day 1: Rangers will take on salary to help trade happen

day 2: Rangers are out of discussions

day 3: Rangers are in discussion to acquire Karlsson.

day 4: Rangers are not in discussions to acquire Karlsson or take on salary. They are sticking to the rebuild.

rinse and repeat.

Karlsson to TB was imminent, then fell through at the last minute (Friday? Thursday?)

There are rumors as to why it didnt happen... most thinking that Ottawa tried to include Ryan in the last minute.

My theory - Karlsson didnt want to sign an extension, prior to the trade. There have been some quiet rumors (that no one has really entertained) that there was mention of him wanting to sign in NY.

Rangers were in trade talks to take on salary... within a few days, we heard that Panarin and Karlsson both hinted at playing in cities that meet the description of NY. Since then, trade talks, and rumors about Rangers interest in taking on salary has died down.

Karlsson to TB was imminent, then fell through at the last minute (Friday? Thursday?)

There are rumors as to why it didnt happen... most thinking that Ottawa tried to include Ryan in the last minute.

My theory - Karlsson didnt want to sign an extension, prior to the trade. There have been some quiet rumors (that no one has really entertained) that there was mention of him wanting to sign in NY.

Rangers were in trade talks to take on salary... within a few days, we heard that Panarin and Karlsson both hinted at playing in cities that meet the description of NY. Since then, trade talks, and rumors about Rangers interest in taking on salary has died down.

We couldn't afford both of them unless they took below market.

I don't recall. Is Lundqvist close with Karlsson? Any recruitment by the Scandinavian guys now spread throughout the system?

Is this why the team stock piled D men prospects?

Anybody ok with dealing some prospects for a signed Karlsson and Ryan?

What do people think it would take? If you're absolutely against trading for him (signed to an extension of course), how about signing him if he makes it to UFA?

Archived