• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the news out of Ottawa you would think it’s very likely Karlsson is traded. I pray to god that Gorton keeps his head.

I hear ya on Ottawa, such an interesting situation. Karlsson gone or not they may have their heads deep in Dmen. Wonder how they feel about Tkachuk or what they'd do if the Habs take Kot, leaving Zadina there for them.

Looks like Kovy may go west and we can keep more cap flexibility. Let's hope Gorton isn't pressed by Sather or Dolan to go after Karlsson.

I hear ya on Ottawa, such an interesting situation. Karlsson gone or not they may have their heads deep in Dmen. Wonder how they feel about Tkachuk or what they'd do if the Habs take Kot, leaving Zadina there for them.

Looks like Kovy may go west and we can keep more cap flexibility. Let's hope Gorton isn't pressed by Sather or Dolan to go after Karlsson.

Not sure where you heard that but NYR is on his list of 4 teams as of yesterday. SJ, LA, BOS, NYR. That's per Custance.

Not sure where you heard that but NYR is on his list of 4 teams as of yesterday. SJ, LA, BOS, NYR. That's per Custance.

Probably based on the fact he was in CA already and met with both teams this past weekend. Just means he met with them first, doesn't rule NY or Boston out. From a winning a cup perspective IF that's important to him Bos and SJ are better choices, if it's about the limelight well LA or NY will win out if the offers are similar. Not a guy I would get into a bidding war for regardless.

Probably based on the fact he was in CA already and met with both teams this past weekend. Just means he met with them first, doesn't rule NY or Boston out. From a winning a cup perspective IF that's important to him Bos and SJ are better choices, if it's about the limelight well LA or NY will win out if the offers are similar. Not a guy I would get into a bidding war for regardless.

Definitely not. He has a house still in NJ. I think he likes the tri-state area. Honestly, that's all NYR can offer. They're not winning a cup next season.

Exactly. On top of the fact that he got a new agent and a rumor had numbers north of 7 mil per. Too rich for me.

I'd rather use that cap to take Booby Ryan and pick #4 for 26 and next years Tampa pick. Melnyk is insane. Maybe now they keep Karlsson and Melnyk thinks this is the only way to get out of paying Ryan. Just one example of using cap space to find top talent.

Exactly. On top of the fact that he got a new agent and a rumor had numbers north of 7 mil per. Too rich for me.

God bless him if he gets anywhere near 7 mil but ffs I hope we instantly tell him to piss off and to go f himself.

I'd rather use that cap to take Booby Ryan and pick #4 for 26 and next years Tampa pick. Melnyk is insane. Maybe now they keep Karlsson and Melnyk thinks this is the only way to get out of paying Ryan. Just one example of using cap space to find top talent.

According to whom? "A rumor" is baseless.

More and more talk that Kovalchuk wants to win a cup and is looking at a contender first and foremost.

I'm sure watching Ovi partying like a rockstar after winning the cup may be influencing some of his decision making.

More and more talk that Kovalchuk wants to win a cup and is looking at a contender first and foremost.

But he's interested in LA, NYR and according to some Detroit? I don't think anyone knows what the deal is. Rangers keep everything tight to the vest and I guess that's good for business but it's boring for fans. Craig Custance said yesterday Rangers and LA were in his top 4. Neither are "cup contenders"

Where do you come up with this stuff? Who says Ottawa would make that trade? There is nothing to what you are saying other than you?ve posted this same trade idea 50 times hoping that if you post it enough it becomes part of the rumour mill. Again why other than complete blind wishful thinking would Ottawa throw away the 4oa pick just to save a couple million. If they made that move they should just shut the doors and fold or relocate.

Stop with the video game ideas like they are a good way to work the cap. Come to think of it that trade wouldn?t pass on PlayStation either

According to whom? "A rumor" is baseless.

The mention of 7 to 8 mil (with SJ, LA, Boston and the isles interested) was discussed on Boomer's Point show (2-3PM) yesterday with Tyler Madzeraz. I took the west coast visit info literally. Think he talked to Friedman about Kovy's visits. The money talk is still just a rumor to me and could still be baseless.

I called it a rumor cause it is something I heard without any backup substantiation. They actually talked in depth about fools like me and Boomer who thought 5 or 6 mil was too much. Said something like now he could be pushing 8 mil. Both agreed. I choked.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Who says Ottawa would make that trade? There is nothing to what you are saying other than you’ve posted this same trade idea 50 times hoping that if you post it enough it becomes part of the rumour mill. Again why other than complete blind wishful thinking would Ottawa throw away the 4oa pick just to save a couple million. If they made that move they should just shut the doors and fold or relocate.

Stop with the video game ideas like they are a good way to work the cap. Come to think of it that trade wouldn’t pass on PlayStation either

Relax man, I was just throwing a goofy idea at the wall for fun. Basically saying the insanity in Ottawa and Melnyk's desires could provide for some kind of opportunity. I never posted that idea before and i'm not serious about that even happening. The joke was how we could help the Ottawa people have a Melnyk mutiny. Grab a beer and see slobbers post I rsponded to and the words I used.

I posted a serious idea of swapping 9 and a later pick or two for 4 and Bobby Ryan, a couple of weeks ago. I don't play video games and I never want my ideas to turn into rumors. I could give a shit about that except to think someone stole my idea without citation. If I repeat an idea, I either think it got lost in the mix or I believe it is still a good idea and relevant to the discussion.

Oh sorry Fatty, just realized some of the goofing around and my tongue in cheek pitch emanated on the Hoffman thread, where slobberknocker mentioned a revolt in Ottawa.

I am serious though that I'd rather use cap space on getting high quality piece and a bad contract versus all that cap to Kovy. We are not winning a Cup this year and Kovy does nothing to building the talent pool of youth.

The mention of 7 to 8 mil (with SJ, LA, Boston and the isles interested) was discussed on Boomer's Point show (2-3PM) yesterday with Tyler Madzeraz. I took the west coast visit info literally. Think he talked to Friedman about Kovy's visits. The money talk is still just a rumor to me and could still be baseless.

I called it a rumor cause it is something I heard without any backup substantiation. They actually talked in depth about fools like me and Boomer who thought 5 or 6 mil was too much. Said something like now he could be pushing 8 mil. Both agreed. I choked.

Thanks. I doubt he gets it unless it's a one-year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Oh sorry Fatty, just realized some of the goofing around and my tongue in cheek pitch emanated on the Hoffman thread, where slobberknocker mentioned a revolt in Ottawa.

I am serious though that I'd rather use cap space on getting high quality piece and a bad contract versus all that cap to Kovy. We are not winning a Cup this year and Kovy does nothing to building the talent pool of youth.

Not a big deal didn’t mean to come across heated. Let’s get to the draft already. The posts here about trading up and who’s going when and all has been played out. No doubt we are excited about June 22 and the new day for this team. I can only imagine the posts come jube 24 and the line combos with 5 nineteen year olds dressing.

No doubt, can't freakin wait. Sure it'll be a bit of a let down. Kinda given up on trading up, unless its for Zadina. Leaving it the the Rangers capable hands, I hope. Also hope this is best draft since Sather arrived. St Louis Blues style in the first and like Tampa in the later rounds.

We should still plan on some moves. The over under is two trades between now and the start of round 4. ;)

Next year the on ice product could be very painful. Hope (based on good to excellent prospects in the system) will get us through. Hopefully they don't rush guys like Howden if they are not ready.

But he's interested in LA, NYR and according to some Detroit? I don't think anyone knows what the deal is. Rangers keep everything tight to the vest and I guess that's good for business but it's boring for fans. Craig Custance said yesterday Rangers and LA were in his top 4. Neither are "cup contenders"

This is what Custance said.

Kovalchuk has been in California, the home state of his new agency CAA, and will get the full court press from the Los Angeles Kings, a team very eager to increase its goal-scoring. The Kings were famously finalists for Kovalchuk during the summer in which he ended up signing with the New Jersey Devils.

The Sharks have the cap room and GM Doug Wilson is another big game hunter. It would be highly entertaining to watch Kovalchuk convert feeds from Joe Thornton, another potential unrestricted free agent. The Bruins and Rangers are also in the mix with the Rangers an intriguing option since they don’t seem to align with the Cup-contender pre-requisite.

But according to an NHL source, the Rangers have long interested Kovalchuk and, if he can be convinced they have a legitimate shot at winning sometime in the window of a three-year contract, they’d become a real option. Another team to watch is the Tampa Bay Lightning, but it would have to be on a short-term deal. And by short, probably one year.

“There’s no shortage of interest,” said an NHL source.

LeBrun listed Dallas, Anaheim, St. Louis and Detroit as secondary options. Which brings us to the next question.

Gorton will have to play an absolute blinder if it’s true the Rangers need to convince him that they’ll competitive during his contract. Certainly, the King can legitimately say they are a couple of goal scorers away from competing.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/inside-the-rangers-makeover-mindset-with-nhl-draft-at-hand/

Gorton is believed to have talked with Edmonton, and might be willing to accept Milan Lucic and his five-year, $30 million contract commitment if Leon Draisaitl comes the other way. There is, however, zero evidence the Oilers have the slightest inclination to make a deal like that, even if it would involve, say Brady Skjei, also an impending Group II free agent.

Some other tidbits in the article that seems interesting

And if Tampa Bay has the need to move Ryan Callahan, who has two years at $5.8 million per remaining on his deal, the Rangers could be in. That, by the way, is assuming Callahan — who probably will miss the first month or so of the season recovering from shoulder surgery — does not have the Blueshirts on his no-trade list.

This is just me, but if the Blueshirts could get Callahan (with a suitable inducement), I’d sew that “C” back on his sweater the moment the hypothetical deal were completed.

LOL go home Larry, you are incredibly drunk...especially the last sentence.

Archived