• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

I named 3 wingers I like. Dunny named one from Ottawa who is a good prospect. There is Tampa's first too, which was also discussed. We've yet to deplete Tampa's stock.

I forget. Does Tampa already have the cap space to take on Karlsson? And are they looking for an extension? Wouldn't they have to clear more cap space for that? If they are getting a guarantee of Karlsson resigning with them, Tampa is trading the assets that you covet to get Karlsson. Tampa won't have much the Rangers want to make a deal worth it for the Rangers. I highly doubt they will want to trade yet another 1st rounder on top of the conditional one they have going to the Rangers.

What I'm saying is. What is Tampa giving up besides Sergachev to get a signed Karlsson? It's going to have to be another top prospect. I don't know the prospects you listed. I'd imagine you're trying to get their best. I don't think they will be there to be traded.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forget. Does Tampa already have the cap space to take on Karlsson? And are they looking for an extension? Wouldn't they have to clear more cap space for that? If they are getting a guarantee of Karlsson resigning with them, Tampa is trading the assets that you covet to get Karlsson. Tampa won't have much the Rangers want to make a deal worth it for the Rangers. I highly doubt they will want to trade yet another 1st rounder on top of the conditional one they have going to the Rangers.

What I'm saying is. What is Tampa giving up besides Sergachev to get a signed Karlsson? It's going to have to be another top prospect. I don't know the prospects you listed. I'd imagine you're trying to get their best. I don't think they will be there to be traded.

I can't answer all of this, but I can break down a few things.

For Karlsson, Ottawa wants something like Point or Sergachev, plus Foote or a#1, plus something else of less value. Supposedly, Ottawa is not completely satisfied with current offer, hence the delay. Yzerman is likely holding back on Point and also does not want to part with both young defenders. The #1 may be an issue because of the Ranger's condition.

Regardless of what Ottawa works out with Tampa (or Dallas) there is a need for a team to take on a salary, from the club acquiring Karlsson. The Rangers are one of those teams.

Speculation is that Cally (though maybe Coburn or someone else) would go to a third team. Dunny also suggested helping the trade along by taking on Bobby Ryan, making it more attractive to Ottawa too.

Here are possible returns from Tampa. Choose two.

1. Turn the second rounder into a first.

2. Boris Katchouk - 2016 2nd rounder LW can play C. 6'1 200 lbs - last year 42G 43A in 58, playoffs 19G 18A in 24.

3. Taylor Raddysh - 2016 2nd rounder RW 6'2 210lbs - last year 33G 50A in 58, playoffs 13G 21A in 24.

4. Anthony Cirelli - impressive 21 y/o C who played last 18 reg season games for Tampa with 5G 6A. Somewhat limited minutes in playoffs.

5. Yanni Gourde - 26 year old late-blooming LW, RFA. First full season in Tampa 25G 39A 64P in 82games.

FYI - Tampa's other good forward prospects are Mitchell Stephens, Matteiu Joseph and Alex Volkov.

Dunny suggested Ottawa would add winger Alex Formenton their 2nd rounder from last year (still 18 y/o) who impressed enough to make the team out of camp, but was sent down for playing time. He continued to impress.

So basically we were suggesting taking both Cally and Ryan for 2 of the assets mentioned from Tampa plus Formenton from Ottawa. Obviously we'd have to send a 7th rounder or player to validate the deal. Does that help?

I can't answer all of this, but I can break down a few things.

For Karlsson, Ottawa wants something like Point or Sergachev, plus Foote or a#1, plus something else of less value. Supposedly, Ottawa is not completely satisfied with current offer, hence the delay. Yzerman is likely holding back on Point and also does not want to part with both young defenders. The #1 may be an issue because of the Ranger's condition.

Regardless of what Ottawa works out with Tampa (or Dallas) there is a need for a team to take on a salary, from the club acquiring Karlsson. The Rangers are one of those teams.

Speculation is that Cally (though maybe Coburn or someone else) would go to a third team. Dunny also suggested helping the trade along by taking on Bobby Ryan, making it more attractive to Ottawa too.

Here are possible returns from Tampa. Choose two.

1. Turn the second rounder into a first.

2. Boris Katchouk - 2016 2nd rounder LW can play C. 6'1 200 lbs - last year 42G 43A in 58, playoffs 19G 18A in 24.

3. Taylor Raddysh - 2016 2nd rounder RW 6'2 210lbs - last year 33G 50A in 58, playoffs 13G 21A in 24.

4. Anthony Cirelli - impressive 21 y/o C who played last 18 reg season games for Tampa with 5G 6A. Somewhat limited minutes in playoffs.

5. Yanni Gourde - 26 year old late-blooming LW, RFA. First full season in Tampa 25G 39A 64P in 82games.

FYI - Tampa's other good forward prospects are Mitchell Stephens, Matteiu Joseph and Alex Volkov.

Dunny suggested Ottawa would add winger Alex Formenton their 2nd rounder from last year (still 18 y/o) who impressed enough to make the team out of camp, but was sent down for playing time. He continued to impress.

So basically we were suggesting taking both Cally and Ryan for 2 of the assets mentioned from Tampa plus Formenton from Ottawa. Obviously we'd have to send a 7th rounder or player to validate the deal. Does that help?

I don't see it as worth it to take BOTH contracts if that's all they get in return.

Taking on any salary dump essentially gives Tampa a better chance at winning the cup to ensure the conditional pick, it will almost be automatic. IMO it needs to be three of those things. Pick has to be guaranteed no matter what, and Tampa needs to fork over a little more.

Taking on Bobby Ryan's contract is going to hurt. I'm not sure it's worth it at all. Not even for the player Ottawa would be including. Although I could see a Bobby Ryan come back.

I don't see it as worth it to take BOTH contracts if that's all they get in return.

Fine, it is a smaller return to take a short term salary from Tampa. Any of the four Tampa forwards I suggested would be a valuable addition and very worth it, IMO. Getting more may be tough, there are other teams willing to take a short term contract.

Taking on any salary dump essentially gives Tampa a better chance at winning the cup to ensure the conditional pick, it will almost be automatic.

No Cup is close to guaranteed. The expectation should be a 2nd round pick somewhere between 50-61.

If a trade solidifies the pick as a first, that is no throw-in. The certainty to selecting no later than #31, possibly much better, has a lot of value to both Tampa and us.

Lastly, Cally was strong in the 4th line role last playoffs and would be good depth in that role again. Trading for Karlsson is going to be painful for Tampa.

Taking on Bobby Ryan's contract is going to hurt. I'm not sure it's worth it at all. Not even for the player Ottawa would be including. Although I could see a Bobby Ryan come back.

Ryan is not a poison or a liability on the ice, like Lucic and others. His contract is the main issue, not age, selfishness, speed or skill. He's good enough to be a contributor on a third line or a staple for young kids to grow with on any 4th line. Even on a roster loaded with talent, which we are not. Last year he was playing well again until the unfortunate breaks in his hand. He's had time to now heal, which probably eliminates that as an issue.

Bottom line, I still want two of those assets to take on Ryan. That is not cheap. Another for Cally. Thus, 3 for both.

call me silly but why do i want/have to trade for karlson now. i'd roll the dice and look at him on a deadline deal. rumors are he's banged up and not the same player. second why am i giving up the farm for him? not like theres any chance he stays in ottawa.

Because if you really want him, your best chance of landing him is to trade for him and extend him before free agency. Too few big fish ever make it to market to bank on that as a reliable strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm going to bet Hayes goes to arbitration, Skjei signs a 4-5 year deal, and Spooner gets something similar to Vlad.

i think Skjei and Hayes get 5 year deals, would prefer 6 on Skjei. Four would kinda suck. Hayes' ask was reasonable. No reason for arb with any of them.

The entire defense was really bad last year.

I'd lock him long term as he's likely to come in at a more reasonable tag due to his sub par year.

This.

His pedigree and age fit well with the long term plans of this team.

Many of our bridge contracts came back to bite us on the next contract

This.

His pedigree and age fit well with the long term plans of this team.

Many of our bridge contracts came back to bite us on the next contract

No, it was the deal AFTER the bridge that bit us on the ass. Girardi, Staal, Callahan. Were all paid way too much for too long, and most of us knew that the day those deals were signed. If Skjei becomes a star, I don't mind paying star money.

No, it was the deal AFTER the bridge that bit us on the ass. Girardi, Staal, Callahan. Were all paid way too much for too long, and most of us knew that the day those deals were signed. If Skjei becomes a star, I don't mind paying star money.

We didn?t leverage properly on the bridge contracts.

Same with Stepan and others. We were up against the cap and bridging players to save short term cap.

The next contracts were cutting into UFA Years primarily and we paid market value.

Umm, that's exactly the point. Its way better to pay $4.5 million per season for 24 to 29/30 year old Skjei, than it is to pay $7+ million per season for 27 to 34 year old Skjei.

I dont think "bridge" was the issue with those contracts.

We overpay by 1-m for short contracts, and 1.5 - 2m on longer contracts. I don't see a correlation between bridge vs non.

Zuccarello might have the best contract and his went 2y, 1y, 1y, 4y

Kreider was bridged for 2years

Boyle was bridged.

Short contracts worked out when it came to Del Zotto, Prucha, Gilroy, Hagelin, Avery, Prust, etc

Umm, that's exactly the point. Its way better to pay $4.5 million per season for 24 to 29/30 year old Skjei, than it is to pay $7+ million per season for 27 to 34 year old Skjei.

I'd much rather pay a #1 $7m than a #5 5m.

Archived