• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Phil

Not really. Kreids will be in his last contract year during his 28 y/o season. Next year. Had we signed him to just the extra 2 years and paid just a bit more, he'd be locked up throgh his 30 y/o season. A 6 year contract locks Skjei up into his 30 y/o season also.

What are we going to do with Kreider next year? Assume he's the post blood clot player and the next two years are his best yet. We have a problem. Just when we are ready to compete, we have to let him go.

We have to have foresight. We will have a pipeline and can replace players at 31 years old. Skjei may have to be replaced at 26-27 if we bridge him. More waste. What a waste.

Kreider will have just turned 29 after his contract is expired. Skjei will have just turned 30. It is a 1 year difference. It's not that much different.

Again, these same type of questions you will be asking about Skjei. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, a 2 year deal now would put Skjei at 26 years old and wouldn't he still be RFA status?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you look around the league, players with Skjei's skill set are all being locked long term.

It's undeniable that he had a bad year last year. If you're the team, you use that information to drive his price down long term.

It's incredibly short sighted to use that as a reason to bridge him and play over double for an older player on a max term deal.

This is a tenet of most successful longterm investors. Said another way, buy value.

Fans or mgmt should not be fearful. Gorton so much as admitted publicly that Skjei is the first player every GMs ask about on the phone. There is a reason for that. Besides Kreids, Zibs, Brady and our top kids, very possible no one else commands much/enough interest. For those of us who were expecting a little more activity, this could be a reason.

You can have Skjei 6x$5+ now for 24-30, or in 2 years potentially be looking at 8x$8 for 26-34...makes no sense.

Way market is going, in 2 season he's still tradeable with that cap hit, unless he becomes a total nightmare... which I seriously doubt happens.

This is what I don't get. Why the fear from fans? He's not going to turn into shit. He's young, big, fast, skilled, mostly fundamentally sound, still learning and zero injury issues. The risk seems real low to me.

Kreider will have just turned 29 after his contract is expired. Skjei will have just turned 30. It is a 1 year difference. It's not that much different.

Again, these same type of questions you will be asking about Skjei. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, a 2 year deal now would put Skjei at 26 years old and wouldn't he still be RFA status?

I thought using a year of his ELC would make him a UFA if he signs a 2 year deal. I could be wrong, maybe someone who is certain can chime in.

As for the "1 year difference", it could be resolved with a 7 year deal, but I doubt that saves anything. It also starts to really add more risk for both sides, though I'd be happy.

We are getting away from main points and reality of the fixed options we are discussing. Skjei for 2 or 3 years (then UFA) likely sucks for the Rangers. Skjei for 9/10 years at a much higher AAV also sucks for the Rangers. Six years feels just right, though may not be best for Brady.

From Skjei's point of view I'd rather sign for 6 years and be guaranteed about $27 million dollars, than 2 years for $8 million. Ya never know when a concussion could end your career. Take the guaranteed cash. If you avoid injuries you'll be able to sign another deal after the 6 years is up and have plenty of money.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

From Skjei's point of view I'd rather sign for 6 years and be guaranteed about $27 million dollars, than 2 years for $8 million. Ya never know when a concussion could end your career. Take the guaranteed cash. If you avoid injuries you'll be able to sign another deal after the 6 years is up and have plenty of money.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Absolutely he'd like to have all of that money guaranteed. It's in his best interest to do that, but he does not have any leverage. Skjei has 3 years before he is 27 and eligible for UFA status. He'll take whatever the Rangers want to do with him (2 years, 6 years, whatever), or he'll get his 1 yr 4-5 mill arbitration deal and go through it again next season (see Jacob Trouba). The Rangers are in the driver's seat here.

What if the decision is between a 2 year 9 mill contract and a 1 year arbitration deal at 4.75 mill (followed by this process again next season and potentially the season after)?

Absolutely he'd like to have all of that money guaranteed. It's in his best interest to do that, but he does not have any leverage. Skjei has 3 years before he is 27 and eligible for UFA status. He'll take whatever the Rangers want to do with him (2 years, 6 years, whatever), or he'll get his 1 yr 4-5 mill arbitration deal and go through it again next season (see Jacob Trouba). The Rangers are in the driver's seat here.

What if the decision is between a 2 year 9 mill contract and a 1 year arbitration deal at 4.75 mill (followed by this process again next season and potentially the season after)?

The leverage he has is that the team wants to get him locked up for as long a term at as low of a cap hit as possible. Trouba is not an example you want to follow. Hold out followed by going to arbitration and taking the arbitrator's deal...he's sure to leave in UFA. That's not how you treat a player you should be building around.

I expect signings this week before we get to arbitration. At least two.

The leverage he has is that the team wants to get him locked up for as long a term at as low of a cap hit as possible. Trouba is not an example you want to follow. Hold out followed by going to arbitration and taking the arbitrator's deal...he's sure to leave in UFA. That's not how you treat a player you should be building around.

I expect signings this week before we get to arbitration. At least two.

Well he didn't want to be there (supposedly). So apparently he's content with just arbitration. I'd like to think Skjei wants to be here and will not want to go to arbitration - again giving leverage to the team in negotiations.

• 1 month later...

Archived