• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

J.T. Miller: Requiem for a Captain Who Never Was

ClearedForContact

Yeah, that's the best way to put it that I've seen. It smells like a change of scenery thing to me, on both ends.

Why would Namestnikov need a change of scenery though? He's having a career year and pacing ~25 goals and ~60 points without any real change in possession numbers. Unless they didn't like him in the locker room either?...but all I've read is that he was great there.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read/heard numerous talking heads speculate that TBL feared the contract Namestnikov was bound to sign (arbitration eligible) this summer given his rise to play with Stamkos and Kucherov. I guess, with Miller, there's less fear there?

i sorta recall at last years deadline that the rangers received many inquiries about miller and sorta looked like he was considered untouchable.

whatever happened between now and then who knows.

he was a good ranger overall. i don't care about the throwing of the stick brain fart.

call it however you want regarding mac miller and who they were dealt for in the bigger picture this had to be done. they got all they could of out of this group. i'm loving the returns on the prospects and draft day and the days leading up to it will be must watch TV.

I just hope Gorton gets the pics right. thats the most important thing i'm focusing on.

good to see u pete.

Giving up after not one, not two, not three, not four, but five years after he first came to the NHL. I can see him scoring 30 goals for the Bolts and being a good player, but I think he will always be too inconsistent to be a real star.

"Star" and the name JT Miller should never really be in the same sentence. You don't have to be a "star" to be a very SOLID, hard working likable successful NHL player. The respect from your peers, and in this day and age where 60 points is a more than decent production line is not such a bad thing. I rooted for this kid every step of the way, and yet.....I cannot say I am surprised at the way this has gone. Just wish he could've risen "above" whatever slowed him down in his progression, but whatever that was......I suppose that's where the word "Pro" comes in play.

I truly believe that after seeing AV's extension, he simply wanted OUT and playing just "badly enough" was a way for him to escape "our leader". Should've just hung in there, gave it his all and been "part of the solution"......opposed to.........

I will miss JT though, wish him the best and quite possibly will have escaped with his name eventually on the cup and a finish to a very well laid out plan and with a big FU for AV (deserving or not) AND gets to be with many of his buddies as well........brilliant! Think he really missed Cally, surely he looked up to the Captain.

Side note. McD losing his Captaincy, might be the best thing to ever happen to him, so now he can focus on playing nstead of all that goes with wearing the "C" and those everyday interviews.

]i sorta recall at last years deadline that the rangers received many inquiries about miller and sorta looked like he was considered untouchable.[/b]

whatever happened between now and then who knows.

he was a good ranger overall. i don't care about the throwing of the stick brain fart.

call it however you want regarding mac miller and who they were dealt for in the bigger picture this had to be done. they got all they could of out of this group. i'm loving the returns on the prospects and draft day and the days leading up to it will be must watch TV.

I just hope Gorton gets the pics right. thats the most important thing i'm focusing on.

good to see u pete.

That isn’t true. He was being shopped for the last year and a half. Why would JT Miller be considered untouchable?

Why would Namestnikov need a change of scenery though? He's having a career year and pacing ~25 goals and ~60 points without any real change in possession numbers. Unless they didn't like him in the locker room either?...but all I've read is that he was great there.
i think you right,if anyone needed a change it was Miller,i was a big fan of his ,but his inconsistency has

soured me.

That isn’t true. He was being shopped for the last year and a half. Why would JT Miller be considered untouchable?

I'm not sure it's exactly true that he was being "shopped", but he certainly was available for the right price, like everyone not named Lundqvist.

The Rangers haven't been sellers at the deadline in forever, and he was productive and on a reasonable contract. Unless they were bowled over by an offer, there was really no reason to force him out the door.

I've read/heard numerous talking heads speculate that TBL feared the contract Namestnikov was bound to sign (arbitration eligible) this summer given his rise to play with Stamkos and Kucherov. I guess, with Miller, there's less fear there?

This plus Miller is younger.

I'm not sure it's exactly true that he was being "shopped", but he certainly was available for the right price, like everyone not named Lundqvist.

The Rangers haven't been sellers at the deadline in forever, and he was productive and on a reasonable contract. Unless they were bowled over by an offer, there was really no reason to force him out the door.

The deeper they got into last year?s season, the less likely they were to move him.

Spooner is improvement on Miller. And he looks like him in my opinion. Feels like he never left.

Ha.. interesting observation. It's a bit early for me to make that conclusion but I'm happy with what I'm seeing from the new guys. Lots of energy and contributions from them both. Namestnikov is impressive.

I've always been one of JT Miller's biggest proponents. The tools were there for a Mike Richards type, when he was the "good" Mike Richards early on with Philly. In fact, last season when we had our bold predictions thread, mine was that he would be our leading point scorer by the end of the season. He came close, finishing second only to Zuccarello. 56 points doesn't happen by accident. According to Hockey Reference, Zook played 18:50 per game on average, Miller played 16:22. The only regular forwards behind him in ice time were Grabner, Fast, Vesey and Buchnevich, though it should be noted that Rick Nash only got 16:28 per game. Anyway, he didn't quite play "sheltered" minutes, but he certainly played a bit of a sheltered role. With the same average TOI/G as Zook last season, he would've finished the season with 64 points in theory.

We all know that production doesn't tell the whole story though (Taylor Hall, anyone?). Yet the alleged attitude problems were never in the forefront. Nobody can think of a specific instance where he was a malcontent or unprofessional, and nothing ever leaked out of the locker room. We just know second-hand that he had attitude issues, and that the coach wasn't his biggest fan. I wish I knew what those issues were, because in my opinion, the kid never got a fair shake. He played a complete game, and a hard-nosed one at that, with a damn-near 60 point pace at 23 years old.

We had flashes where he oozed talent, we saw him stick up for teammates, we saw the kind of player he could be. I would love to know what went in to management's assessment that he would never reach that potential. In the trade with Tampa, Miller to me at least was a far bigger loss than McDonagh. I can only pray that he really did have these rumored issues off ice, because otherwise, I can't see the justification in giving up on him. I thought he would be one of the biggest pieces of our future going forward. In fact, between him and Kreider, I would've much rather seen Kreider go. We shall see, I guess. But when you put up 56 points without really having the coach's trust, and without being surrounded by talent like the players in Tampa, you got something going for you. I hope to God I'm wrong, because I think this one will come back to bite us in the ass. I think we missed out on a huge opportunity here by never giving him the chance he deserved.

The only thing we missed out on was paying him market value. We can do that with anyone. We got back Namestnikov, I don't see how Miller is a better player and they're in similar contract situations. So what's the net loss here we should be all terrified about? Miller isn't going to put up 80 points with any more probability than either Vlad or Spooner. He's never been a huge producer like that anywhere.

Really, he's a good enough skater but his decision making in the offensive zone was plodding. Slow. Unremarkable. That's not a death warrant, or that's not saying the return won't have his own issues, but at the end of the day he's just another cog in the wheel who was exchanged for a different cog.

The time for him to be special was in the past, they got good value from Miller when it was there. That value is going to disappear as his salary rises.

A worker's performance generally improves when they move from a manager they don't get along with to one they do. He could simply have better chemistry with Cooper and that alone could raise his game. Or it may be that he has authority issues wherever he is. It will be interesting to watch.

@Lothbrok I too agree with you in your post. There simply has to be an underlying reason that we all DON'T KNOW. On the surface, he was a solid enough player/teammate. Obviously COOPER and his group saw the same and believe he saw "a part of his game" that they wanted on their team. That little bit of "extra grit" that he brings that a team MUST HAVE come PO time. Not saying Names doesn't have it (because he really looks impressive) and seems a 50/50 shot, pass type player which is what the Rangers needed more of...... than JT's pass 1st mentality in which we have too many as it is. Just saying.

Archived