• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

J.T. Miller: Requiem for a Captain Who Never Was

ClearedForContact

I think there's a rough consensus that he was a good player for us and a real plus but a little bit disappointing in that he did not reach the next level. No, he should not be shredded. I guess I would say that between Krieder, Hayes and Miller, if I were to have traded one, it would have been Miller.

Fans are cranky and rarely completely satisfied with a player. If they are satisfied, it is with a guy like Fast for whom they have very circumscribed expectations.

And yes, I agree, I really don't want to hear nit-picking about McDonagh. He was the best home grown player to arrive here from 1988 (Leetch) to 2011. 23 years! I hope that's good enough for you.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The good news is he produced at an ECHL replacement player level in the playoffs, so we don't have to watch any sentimental YouTube videos about him.

Oh my bad, I thought this thread was about Miller, not Nash...

Nash had 10 goals and 23 points in his last 36 playoff games. 2015-2017

OK. What about the rest of his career? When he was getting first line ice time, plus PP time, while Miller was mostly on the 4th line for his playoff games...?

Nothing, really. I just like to point out that the same people defending Nash try to give Miller shit.

I think the only people being really honest here are the ones who said "Miller never lived up to my expectations."

I haven't posted for awhile, but I read a lot of posts on the board.

There's some real bullshit going on here for sure, but nothing makes me genuine as upset as the revisionist history going on when players leave.

I'm not even going to bother with the McD stuff, but what's going on in this thread is just sad. Miller was a quality player for us, there were times he outright carried the team last year. Was he the best and most consistent player all the time? No, but who is? He's already a more well rounded player than Krieder, who gets tons more ice time and PP time and still manages to not really do anything unless Zuccarello is giving him tap-ins.

Miller was physical every night, played in front of the net every night, and was really only guilty of ever trying to do too much. And yea, some simple research will tell you he dropped the gloves. As far as him not being creative, let's just say I highly disagree, especially after watching years of Stepan telegraph his passes. As far as the bad locker room guy stuff, well that seems to have taken on a life of it's own here (as most things do) and now has become the group think. That's fine, he was part of a clique and we know that no one here likes cliques. I wonder how many people thought that Hags/Brassard/Zucc clique was bad for the team...But winning masks everything, right?

The guy is traded, what the need is to shred him on the way out is beyond me. He wasn't bending anyone over the barrel for a contract (yet), he was a good player who played as had as he could every night. He looked really bad on a really bad team where almost everyone else looked really bad, as well. Shocking.

Whoa! A Pete sighting!

I don't agree about the physical play. I just don't see it. I didn't recall any of his fights. I apologize for saying so.... He had 5 in 5 years. 1 in the playoffs, which shows how smart he is.... Color me blown away by his toughness. This team gets and got run every other night. He had 5 fights in 5 years..... I don't see that as a guy quick to stand up for his team. Obviously nobody else did either, but that isn't the discussion.

I think he will be the player you always thought he would be on Tampa. I didn't see the same exact stuff you and others did (ie physical and tough play), but i always thought he had the offensive ability to make it in the league.

I don't care about the locker room stuff, because we cant judge what we don't know. True or not it was a vague statement that could mean different things. I didn't put as much stock in the claims as some did.

I know you always believed in Miller and are probably not happy seeing him go. Sorry man. IMO I don't think they got equal worth for him, and I've never been a big fan of his. Others do think they got value. I see and agree with your point about shredding him on the way out the door though. Same with McD.

Whoa! A Pete sighting!

I don't agree about the physical play. I just don't see it. I didn't recall any of his fights. I apologize for saying so.... He had 5 on 5 years. 1 in the playoffs, which shows how smart he is.... Color me blown away by his toughness. This team gets and got run every other night. He had 5 fights in 5 years..... I don't see that as a guy quick to stand up for his team. Obviously nobody else did either, but that isn't the discussion.

Fighting in the playoffs is dumb? Don't you pine for
?

Miller was third among forwards in hits, so he was doing something physical.

Who's "nobody else"?

I think he will be the player you always thought he would be on Tampa. I didn't see the same exact stuff you and others did (ie physical and tough play), but i always thought he had the offensive ability to make it in the league.

I don't care about the locker room stuff, because we cant judge what we don't know. True or not it was a vague statement that could mean different things. I didn't put as much stock in the claims as some did.

I know you always believed in Miller and are probably not happy seeing him go. Sorry man. IMO I don't think they got equal worth for him, and I've never been a big fan of his. Others do think they got value. I see and agree with your point about shredding him on the way out the door though. Same with McD.

This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

I don't care who this team trades but what I take issue with is the nonsense that follows them out the door.

Who says Yzerman wanted him, he flat out said Gorton was pushing him on him lol

Oh, I didn't see those quotes or clips. Can you post them?

I thought the fact that Yzerman traded for Miller meant he wanted him...Being that Yzerman is not a GM who gets pushed around (MSL, Drouin, etc).

It's buried in the radio interviews posted, think it's the Boomer/Gorton interview.

Boomer obviously got the quote somewhere, I'd like to see it as well.

Essentially, Boomer says that Yzerman says that he was pushing Miller all along. This being news to Gorton he was caught a little flat footed and didn't have a great comeback.

Obviously I have no inside information as to the process this trade went down but I think it's pretty safe to say they've been looking to move on from JT Miller for a little while now.

I get where you're coming from, too. It's not very nice to slander a guy whose going out the door.

It's buried in the radio interviews posted, think it's the Boomer/Gorton interview.

Boomer obviously got the quote somewhere, I'd like to see it as well.

Essentially, Boomer says that Yzerman says that he was pushing Miller all along. This being news to Gorton he was caught a little flat footed and didn't have a great comeback.

Obviously I have no inside information as to the process this trade went down but I think it's pretty safe to say they've been looking to move on from JT Miller for a little while now.

I get where you're coming from, too. It's not very nice to slander a guy whose going out the door.

Just listened to the interview, and that's not what was said, only that Gorton offered Miller. And Gorton said they'd talked about Miller for awhile. So who really knows the motives aside for putting a bigger package together. For all we know, Miller got us a conditional first.

Just listened to the interview, and that's not what was said, only that Gorton offered Miller. And Gorton said they'd talked about Miller for awhile. So who really knows the motives aside for putting a bigger package together. For all we know, Miller got us a conditional first.

OK, but I couched it. It's more recent in your unclouded mind, but I recall a pretty wonky answer from Gorton.

I think Miller got them Namestnikov. Straight up.

It's almost like two trades. Miller for Namestnikov, McDonagh for Howden, Hajek, 2018 1st, 2019 Conditional 2nd.

Yeah, that's the best way to put it that I've seen. It smells like a change of scenery thing to me, on both ends.

Fighting in the playoffs is dumb? Don't you pine for
?

Joe Thornton has 123 points in 160 playoff games and is a future hall of famer. Are we really going to compare them in any way at all? Seriously?

Miller was third among forwards in hits, so he was doing something physical.

Who's "nobody else"?

Third eh? Behind who? JT Miller left the Rangers racking up 87 hits. Fast has 110, Skjei 97, Mcleod wont count, then there's Miller with 87 and Kreider, who missed a month with 83. League leader has 200+. Please go on about how physical Miller has been. Lil Fast out hit him.

"Nobody else" meaning nobody on the team did anything physical either. Kinda agreeing with you in that the rest of the team was doing nothing.

This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

I don't care who this team trades but what I take issue with is the nonsense that follows them out the door.

Not sure why you are taking issue with what I have said. Ots not anything new. Its not any sort of parting shot. Ive been saying this for years. Odd, i pretty much say he will shine elsewhere, but you feel im taking parting shots at him.

I know you're supported Miller in the past. This reaction seems like you give more of a shit than you lead on.

At the start of the season i would have agreed about keeping Miller over the other two. I was expecting some next level stuff from him. Im no Hayes fan either. But as the year went on, Hayes went from my least liked of the 3, to the more liked of the 3. Vesey has become an utter useless wimp, who gave up 3 months ago and has been invisible. I can't believe this is the same kid we saw last season. I was expecting him to be gone. Still hoping. Sadly, Miller disappeared. Probably the most quiet 40 point season I've ever not seen.

I was expecting more from him. I thought he would step up and carry them like he did for a month last year, or was that 2 years ago? If that's too much to ask, then i guess im wrong. I feel like he disappeared again. But at a time they couldn't afford him to.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.

Joe Thornton has 123 points in 160 playoff games and is a future hall of famer. Ate we really going to compare them in any way at all? Seriously?

Third eh? Behind who? JT Miller left the Rangers racking up 87 hits. Fast has 110, Skjei 97, Mcleod wont count, then tjeres Miller with 87 and Kreider WHO missed a month with 83. League leader has 200+. Please go on about how physical he has been.

"Nobody else" meaning nobody on the team did anything physical either. Kinda agreeing with you in that the rest of the team was doing nothing.

[Quote[This team is a dumpster fire and I don't really give two shits that he got traded. There is no one on this team who I wouldn't consider moving. Out of the RFA forwards, Hayes/Miller/Vesey, I'd have kept Miller but obviously Yzerman (who's a pretty good GM and a "character" guy, a leader) wanted Miller for the same reasons I'd have kept him.

Not sure why you are taking issue with what I have said. Ots not anything new. Its not any sort of parting shot. Ive been saying this for years. Odd, i pretty much say he will shine elsewhere, but you feel im taking parting shots at him.

I know you're supported Miller in the past. This reaction seems like you give more of a shit than you lead on.

At the start of the season i would have agreed about keeping Miller over the other two. I was expecting some next level stuff from him. Im no Hayes fan either. But as the year went on, Hayes went from my least liked of the 3, to the more liked of the 3. Vesey has become an utter useless wimp, who gave up 3 months ago and has been invisible. I can't believe this is the same kid we saw last season. I was expecting him to be gone. Still hoping. Sadly, Miller disappeared. Probably the most quiet 40 point season I've ever not seen.

I was expecting more from him. I thought he would step up and carry them like he did for a month last year, or was that 2 years ago? If that's too much to ask, then i guess im wrong. I feel like he disappeared again. But at a time they couldn't afford him to.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.I'm not comparing. You said fighting in the playoffs is stupid. I shut it down.

The reasons I haven't posted go way beyond one player. It's not your business. Don't assume anything other than what I said. I don't care who they trade. I don't care what it seems like to you. Read my post, don't make assumptions. End of story.

It's good to be back.

Im wishing him well and thinking he will be the player you always thought he could be. Not sure, bit it seems like you are directing your original post at me. I feel like I said my piece about him and his time here, yet said he he will be better in Tampa... Not sure why you got (what seems like) a little bent. I mean you haven't posted in like a year. You felt the need to defend Miller... A guy you liked very much and let it be known in the past how much you liked him in the past. Seems like you care.... Not putting words in your mouth. Just saying it seems that way.

I'm not comparing. You said fighting in the playoffs is stupid. I shut it down.

The reasons I haven't posted go way beyond one player. It's not your business. Don't assume anything other than what I said. I don't care who they trade. I don't care what it seems like to you. Read my post, don't make assumptions. End of story.

It's good to be back.

Ok

Archived