• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

J.T. Miller: Requiem for a Captain Who Never Was

ClearedForContact

again its not like miller was lighting it up here. To be fair at the time if the trade miller was having a long bad stretch

At the time of the trade, nobody was lighting it up for the Rangers. You do not fall off the face of the earth like they did while having certain players lighting it up. Their season was over, they knew it, and they were painful to watch. JT is a talented NHL Hockey player who will benefit greatly by playing with the Lightning. Yes they are better, but he will make them even better. They knew what they were getting, while AV had no idea what to do with him. Whether unfairly or not, younger players tend to have a shorter leash with AV.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the time of the trade, nobody was lighting it up for the Rangers. You do not fall off the face of the earth like they did while having certain players lighting it up. Their season was over, they knew it, and they were painful to watch. JT is a talented NHL Hockey player who will benefit greatly by playing with the Lightning. Yes they are better, but he will make them even better. They knew what they were getting, while AV had no idea what to do with him. Whether unfairly or not, younger players tend to have a shorter leash with AV.

It's almost like in Tampa they're spoiled for choice with forwards, so much so that you can afford to let a guy be inconsistent/find his game because you're not relying on him to carry a large portion of the offense.

Oh.. wait.

That would mean that AV is just using the cards he's dealt and not the worst coach ever. Stupid me.

That's just silly. Every coach uses the cards they are dealt. Some just use them better than others. AV happens to not use his very well.

So what you're suggesting is to take a bubble team and allow them to pop due to a slumping player rather than trying different lines?

Interesting take Pete.

So what you're suggesting is to take a bubble team and allow them to pop due to a slumping player rather than trying different lines?

Interesting take Pete.

I'm simply saying that AVs personnel choices and ice time allocations have been suspect for the last 2-3 seasons.

I have no idea what the rest of your post means regarding a bubble team and one player.

It's almost like in Tampa they're spoiled for choice with forwards, so much so that you can afford to let a guy be inconsistent/find his game because you're not relying on him to carry a large portion of the offense.

Oh.. wait.

That would mean that AV is just using the cards he's dealt and not the worst coach ever. Stupid me.

Has JT been inconsistent, or has he been trying to find his game since the trade? Not from what I've seen. He has to be averaging a point a game, and In my opinion, once he gets more familiar with the players around him, will only make Tampa that much better. Sometimes when you play for a very bad team, your game can be dragged through the mud due to the quality of cards (teammates) who share the ice with you at any given time during the season. And I think these cards began tuning AV out and were just mailing it in well before the trade deadline. Does that mean I think AV is the worst coach ever? No, but I do think he is done in New York.

Upper management threw the entire team into the abyss with their ridiculous public announcement. Just imagine if a person worked for a company that made a public statement that they weren't going to try and be profitable, but will be starting from the bottom by getting rid of core people, and bringing in new blood via unproven workers.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that it's easy to say "Oh, he's playing with Stamkos and Kucherov", but you have to be good enough to play with Stamkos and Kucherov (Maloney made this point on the radio broadcast).

And to add to that, that line goes up against the #1 pairing on the other team every night, something Miller wasn't doing in NY, and he's still producing.

I think when you're at the point where you have players who clearly have tools and talent, and you're always asking why they aren't producing more or playing better, you have to look at the coaching staff. How many more point men need to be tried on the PP before they look at Arniel? How ugly does it have to get in the D zone before you look at AV (since there have been 3 defense coaches during his tenure)?

AV is a one-trick pony that the league has figured out.

Has JT been inconsistent, or has he been trying to find his game since the trade? Not from what I've seen. He has to be averaging a point a game, and In my opinion, once he gets more familiar with the players around him, will only make Tampa that much better. Sometimes when you play for a very bad team, your game can be dragged through the mud due to the quality of cards (teammates) who share the ice with you at any given time during the season. And I think these cards began tuning AV out and were just mailing it in well before the trade deadline. Does that mean I think AV is the worst coach ever? No, but I do think he is done in New York.

i dont think anybody questions millers talent BUT i just dont buy that its all AVs fault that miller didnt work out here. Dont get me wrong AV has made many errors including some ways he handled JT but at the same time JT also made a lot of errors. Now i admit i was never a huge fan of JT but i liked his talent and would of had no problem if he stayed as part of the future. My only gripe is not against him but of certain people who get upset if anybody critiques the kid or just blames AV. Not saying its you doing it but ive seen a few

Another point I'd like to bring up is that it's easy to say "Oh, he's playing with Stamkos and Kucherov", but you have to be good enough to play with Stamkos and Kucherov (Maloney made this point on the radio broadcast).

And to add to that, that line goes up against the #1 pairing on the other team every night, something Miller wasn't doing in NY, and he's still producing.

I think when you're at the point where you have players who clearly have tools and talent, and you're always asking why they aren't producing more or playing better, you have to look at the coaching staff. How many more point men need to be tried on the PP before they look at Arniel? How ugly does it have to get in the D zone before you look at AV (since there have been 3 defense coaches during his tenure)?

AV is a one-trick pony that the league has figured out.

Again all those same things apply to Names. These games following the deadline are pretty meaningless. It's really quite simple. Of course JT's game is gonna get a shot in the arm, being traded from a team that is openly rebuilding to the conference leader. And of course Names game is going to suffer being trade from the best team in the conference to a team with no shot of making the playoffs. What else would you expect. Its not far to either player to judge them on these 20 games. After a full season next year, we'll have a clearer picture of comparing the 2. The main thing these 20 games are doing is driving JT's price tag up and Names down.

Again all those same things apply to Names. These games following the deadline are pretty meaningless. It's really quite simple. Of course JT's game is gonna get a shot in the arm, being traded from a team that is openly rebuilding to the conference leader. And of course Names game is going to suffer being trade from the best team in the conference to a team with no shot of making the playoffs. What else would you expect. Its not far to either player to judge them on these 20 games. After a full season next year, we'll have a clearer picture of comparing the 2. The main thing these 20 games are doing is driving JT's price tag up and Names down.

The difference being that Miller was producing here at a better clip than Names is...And producing in TB at a better clip than Names was.

I'm not judging Names or saying he's a bad player. I've said before no one on this shit show team should be judged right now.

I'm just noting production. I don't care if we re-sign Names, or trade him at the draft. I just think he's probably closer to being a 40ish point player and Miller is closer to a 60ish point player. When stats get inflated by Stammer and Kooch, Miller is probably getting you 70ish points while Names was getting you 60ish.

The difference being that Miller was producing here at a better clip than Names is...And producing in TB at a better clip than Names was.

I'm not judging Names or saying he's a bad player. I've said before no one on this shit show team should be judged right now.

I'm just noting production. I don't care if we re-sign Names, or trade him at the draft. I just think he's probably closer to being a 40ish point player and Miller is closer to a 60ish point player. When stats get inflated by Stammer and Kooch, Miller is probably getting you 70ish points while Names was getting you 60ish.

But again, its not an even swap. JT is riding high on adrenaline right now, and Names is probably depressed as fuck.

But again, its not an even swap. JT is riding high on adrenaline right now, and Names is probably depressed as fuck.

Exactly. It makes a big difference when playing on a stacked team. I understand the rangers are going through a rebuilding phase which makes it harder but there are still guys producing

. Spooner, our top line, and pionk are all putting up points despite whats going on

Right...And when Names was riding high he was producing at just under 60/pt season pace.

Miller is riding high and at a 90 point pace LOL.

guy scores 22 goals each of the last three years puts up 50+ plus points each of those seasons and yet he’s only producing because of his line mates now? All before he’s 25.

If the rangers put into a memo the exact type of young player they are hoping to rebuild around it would to a tee describe miller. Oh wait they did that. Miller has plenty of holes in his game anybody who disagrees with that is not honest. But who doesn’t? He won’t be a superstar but he’s going to be a fixure on a nhl top 6. He’s already been that on good ranger teams and now on a good tampa team.

Even with lesser talent he put up mid 50 point totals and 20 plus goals HERE. That’s the worst you expect from him. His best years are ahead of him. His floor was already pretty good his ceiling is what 30/80?

Namestnikov is a fine player he’s just not close to miller. His career numbers and play tell any honest person that. If miller was a huge problem locker room wise then fine. That can be the only logical reason. To argue the two players is not reasonable and their production says that

One other thing. The rangers could have done nothing and just let miller sign as a fa with somebody else this summer. The compensation for a player signing a contract for 4-6m a year is a first and third round pick. Safe to say miller will get somewhere in that range.

guy scores 22 goals each of the last three years puts up 50+ plus points each of those seasons and yet he’s only producing because of his line mates now? All before he’s 25.

If the rangers put into a memo the exact type of young player they are hoping to rebuild around it would to a tee describe miller. Oh wait they did that. Miller has plenty of holes in his game anybody who disagrees with that is not honest. But who doesn’t? He won’t be a superstar but he’s going to be a fixure on a nhl top 6. He’s already been that on good ranger teams and now on a good tampa team.

Even with lesser talent he put up mid 50 point totals and 20 plus goals HERE. That’s the worst you expect from him. His best years are ahead of him. His floor was already pretty good his ceiling is what 30/80?

Namestnikov is a fine player he’s just not close to miller. His career numbers and play tell any honest person that. If miller was a huge problem locker room wise then fine. That can be the only logical reason. To argue the two players is not reasonable and their production says that

Yea, I'm not sure how anyone can say he wasn't working here, or didn't work out. Good players get traded all the time.

It's a classic case of if people didn't like the player, they never will. What's comical to me are the people who rag Miller praise Kreider, and Miller is already a more complete player than Krieder is.

Not saying you are wrong at all. I guess we will see what happens. Personally I was very surprised Miller was traded I expected him to be apart of the future. After watching the game a few days ago I appreciate that Miller really loved to be a Ranger. he seemed like he was tearing up during the tribute which definetly changes my perspective a little bit. By the way Pete no hard feelings dude. I know we had some disagreements but you seem like a cool dude sorry if I said anything out of line. At the end of the day we are both Ranger fans and just want to see the team do well and have a good future. Hope you had a great holiday dude!!

Pete killed the Easter Bunny and made stew out of it.

Right...And when Names was riding high he was producing at just under 60/pt season pace.

Miller is riding high and at a 90 point pace LOL.

But Names wasn't. Starting the year in that spot is different than getting traded from a shit team into that spot. Plus Names had 32 points through the first 36 games. Over the course of next season I still think Miller scores in the 60's

But Names wasn't. Starting the year in that spot is different than getting traded from a shit team into that spot. Plus Names had 32 points through the first 36 games. Over the course of next season I still think Miller scores in the 60's

I'm not sure why you keep making excuses for Names when Spooner was in the exact same position and came here on fire, even if he's recently cooled off.

I mean, JT Miller has never scored more than 25 goals at any level, any time, anywhere, but sure let's pencil him in for 40 goals and 90 points next year. Seems pretty smart.

I am pretty sick of Namestnikov already, though tbh and if it was a one for one deal on Miller, that's was really dumb.

Archived