• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Deal Grabner to New Jersey Devils for Pick, Prospect

ClearedForContact

Never understood this philosophy; if he's getting ENG, he's out there with the game on the line every time and has a tendency to not only defend it well, but pad our lead. That's a goddamn valuable skill.

That skill is attributed to his speed but when the argument is goal totals as to why this wasn't a fair deal is where I have an issue. Just look at the list of players with similar totals, would you rather have Grabner?

There are many players that are used to defend when the game is on the line, would you give more than a 2nd rounder and prospect for them? He's a nice player but there's a reason why there weren't any teams offering a 1st rounder for him.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pffft, you guys overrate the wrong players and complain about effort and results. Then you shit on Grabner, whatever. 30 years old is meaningless for a rental. Grabner is underrated and i'm underwelmed, but I know nothing about the Russian.

The rumor was a bunch of teams were offering a 2nd + something. I thought it would result in getting a first. The Ranger's must like the prospect to have done this deal. I guess we'll see. We traded two 2nds for Smith.

Hope this deal helps bring him back next year. Give the Devils credit, this was a good trade by them. Devil fans should be psyched.

Where did I complain about his effort?

The fact that they traded him to the devils has to mean that they really liked zykov. Otherwise they would just take the second and throw in prospect from a non rival

Pssst. FaFra, its Rykov not Zykov, there are two out there with very similar names not to be confused, and Zykov is out of the league a few years.

YEGOR RYKOV Vidnoe, RUS age 20

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269022 .

YEGOR ZYKOV Krasnoyarsk, RUS . age 25

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?statsleague=Allsvenskan&player=164905&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

I think "the ask" was too low for a goal-scoring sniper with speed, work ethic, Hockey IQ and other great hockey attributes Grabner has ... BUT

The Shestyorkin connection is reassuring to me. It doesn't always work but, if Yegor can make the team, then it makes it easier for Igor the goalie to commit to coming here, plus some familiarity on the backend, and also another Russian speaker to keep things funner for Buchnevich...and maybe also for Kovalchuk (but I am not kidding myself there, if Kovalchuck comes here, it's more about putting fannies in seats than part of a longer-vision rebuild ... unless he has some of the same longevity genes as Jagr, who played well beyond his presumed expiration date).

For all but the atheists among us, I would beg prayer and/or meditation among the Ranger faithful. "Good karma, grace, and patience" would be very welcome in our favor in this rebuild.

He's not a "goal-scoring sniper". Just because they didn't get more, doesn't mean they didn't ask for more.

I also feel like keeping Grabner in the metro nyc area (where he's lived since since his islander days) also has something to do with it and a possible return.

I thought about that ... and it also means he doesn't have to move, and could more easily stay in N.J., which ain't a bad place to live if you have the do$h, contrary to some accounts, whereas if he were traded to Calgary, Winnipeg or Edmonton he'd probably be in a hurry to GTFOOT.

Nothing against him, I like him, just like I liked Hagelin but I just feel that what we got in return was fair. As for using glorified, that was more tongue in cheek.

Right on, cool.

I'll go with fair if there are some expectations for the Russian kid. Would like to hear mgmt at least give us a blurb on their thoughts about the kid. Doesn't have to be now, but a very brief summation after the deadline, on any real prospects we acquire would be nice. A little more tongue-in-cheek: A sequel to the letter would be better than the original.

He's not a "goal-scoring sniper". Just because they didn't get more, doesn't mean they didn't ask for more.

• alright, he's not Marian Gaborik, but he was one of the closest things we had to a goal-scorer and 4th in the league in goals at even strength this season, and a guy who for whatever reason, overachieved and fit exceptionally well with the NYR, unlike some.

• I was quoting fat francesa on "the ask"

Everyone wants to talk about the deal, but no one really knows anything about the Russian, so, well, there's not that much to talk about. I hope Grab's goal scoring touch runs dry in Jersey to leave him thinking that there's some kind of mojo working for him with the Rangers that can't be replicated elsewhere. As for dealing with NJ, call me old fashion and living in 1983, but I just can't get that worked up about the Devils. You can only have one most hated enemy, and it is, and always will be, the Goylundahs.

As for a chunk of his goals being empty netters, that only makes up for no power play time. Also after the 6 on 5 debacles that beset this team in the playoffs last year and early this season, those goals were a Godsend.

• alright, he's not Marian Gaborik, but he was one of the closest things we had to a goal-scorer and 4th in the league in goals at even strength this season, and a guy who for whatever reason, overachieved and fit exceptionally well with the NYR, unlike some.

• I was quoting fat francesa on "the ask"

I think the teams in the market for a player like Grabner were also aware that he fit our system to a "T". He struggled for years to score goals before coming to the Rangers and AV's green light system. That said, even in a more constrained system, he's still a top penalty killer, can back off defenders with speed, will pot the odd goal even if he doesn't score at the rate he did here and also is money in helping to close out one goal games.

This trade was really interesting in that you had Grabner who probably had more value to the Rangers than most other teams in the league, and they found an unlikely partner in the Devils with a prospect who had less value to them than to the Rangers because of the whole Russian thing. So Rangers got fair value for what they were losing even if the value to the Devils is less because of systems. The Devils were able to outbid other teams while not costing themselves as much.

Pssst. FaFra, its Rykov not Zykov, there are two out there with very similar names not to be confused, and Zykov is out of the league a few years.

YEGOR RYKOV Vidnoe, RUS age 20

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269022 .

YEGOR ZYKOV Krasnoyarsk, RUS . age 25

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?statsleague=Allsvenskan&player=164905&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

Ah thank you. Still same points though. The rangers obviously think they have something in him. I know nothing of him but time will tell how the rangers scouts have done

I like it!! It works for both teams....we get a decent pick and a solid prospect, and Grabby gets to stay somewhat local. Grabs is a good player and having a great season. It was his high point of sale in my estimation, and it gives him a chance to play in the playoffs. He deserves that for the effort he's given this year.

We have to rebuild this team and I'm not sure where a player like Grabbs would fit with these new kids.

I didn't expect to make a significant haul with Grabner. We even know he's having a career year...I'm thinking that NHL GM's know that as well.

Where did I complain about his effort?

You didn't, I think only one person has, I should not have said it. That was not my best self, that was a vent post.

I've had them here. I was especially vocal and pessimistic during the Stralman/Boyle crap, the LT NMC contracts to older vets and the horror show of a Talbot, Hagelin weekend. Then the missed opportunity of the expansion draft and lack of trades given the chaos of so many teams manipulating their rosters and willing to swing deals. Those have been days I let my emotions and sarcasm go. It may have been annoying and I apologize. Though most of it turned out to be valid criticism, in retrospect.

As for production and results, peeps here do complain when production is lacking. In Grabs two years here, his production has dramatically exceeded expectations. Good on him and us. It is worth a kudos. Others already have mentioned how valuable a couple of ENGs would have been during the playoffs.

Hope we can bring him back at a fair price. I have a feeling he either stays with NJ or comes back here. Should be fun watching it all unfold.

Most logical fans would agree that it was a fair deal considering the circumstances. yes I understand Grabner has 25 goals, been a productive Ranger, and is terrific of the PK BUT he is a UFA and he doesn't have a consistent track record. I mean some bring up Eric Staal, MSL and the prices we paid for those guys but those guys had a track record of being bigtime players even though they were starting to decline at the time. Yes Empty netters are important but its not the same as regular goals. Also Graner doesn't have to face tougher matchups most of the time like the other guys mentioned did on a daily basis. I guess my point is that given all those factors we did pretty well. the second rounder will probably be 45-50 and The Russian obviously has upside considering he is doing pretty good in the KHL. I've never seen him but talking to a few friends of mine that are devils fans they are sad to lose him

I like it!! It works for both teams....we get a decent pick and a solid prospect, and Grabby gets to stay somewhat local. Grabs is a good player and having a great season. It was his high point of sale in my estimation, and it gives him a chance to play in the playoffs. He deserves that for the effort he's given this year.

We have to rebuild this team and I'm not sure where a player like Grabbs would fit with these new kids.

I didn't expect to make a significant haul with Grabner. We even know he's having a career year...I'm thinking that NHL GM's know that as well.

Sup Ozzy! Not to nitpick, but he was pretty damn good last year too, and one of the few forwards who showed up in the playoffs. His defense is elite. He's blazing fast, quiet leader, in great shape.... that fits a team of youthful speed , berift of talent at forward.

I enjoyed watching him and have no problem with a few vets on a young team. If Zuc is not traded, it will be nice to have him in the lineup too. And Hank. Staal, not so much.

As much as I'd like Nash back (at a bargain of course, and much more than Kovy), it may make more sense to bring back Grabs. He will be cheaper and probably only gets 3 years. He is younger and likely has 3 good years in him, so he won't outlive his contract. Kovy should be an afterthought. Get the feeling we have some type of master plan to make NYC, SKA west.

I hear ya Giac!!! He's been a very good Ranger (Grabby). I've really liked watching him play as well. His efforts here are noteworthy for sure! I wouldn't mind ever having a Grabner on this team, but the thing with a player like Grabs is that he's based mostly on speed. A guy like that as he gets into his 30's starts to lose that a little bit, and Grabs isn't the most gifted in the hands Department. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy! He's been fantastic, and probably the only Ranger doing anything these last few weeks, but I think this was the exact time to send him packing for some promising youth and a decent pick.

I wish Grabby all the best! He's been a pleasure to root for! ...and even in that shitty Devil sweater I still hope to see him play his ass off!

The trade is probably best expressed as a 2nd, Prospect and best possible location to return in Summer.

Great trade from this standpoint.

Will also likely he the BEST 2nd rounder offered as NJ could easily miss playoffs entirely.

This. And I don?t even think the return is that bad.

Who cares if it?s Jersey.. Grabner isn?t exactly a franchise player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This. And I don’t even think the return is that bad.

Who cares if it’s Jersey.. Grabner isn’t exactly a franchise player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Truthfully I don't get the hate toward Jersey anyway. Truthfully who cares who we traded him to? we are probably a couple years away from being a playoffs tea anyway. This seems like the best offer out there. I heard Pittsburgh was interested but they had very little assets because they're supposedly after Brass too

Yegor Rykov

Coming in at the “honorable mention” stage for Corey Pronman’s midseason Top 50 Prospects (paywall), Rykov is a very interesting pickup for the Rangers. At just 20-years-old, he’s playing every night for SKA of the KHL notching 14 points in 51 games.

The numbers won’t look amazing on the KHL level, nor should they. Playing against men for one of the best teams in the KHL, Rykov has seen his stock rise. A lot of people rush to his Elite Prospects page and find themselves underwhelmed at his current numbers, but at the professional level prospect’s production aren’t anywhere near apples to apples from what a defenseman in juniors would put up. Expecting a point-per-game is remarkably unrealistic. That fact that he’s playing every night on a team with that much talent in the KHL speaks volumes. You should be excited about him.

If you’re worried about him being a 5th round pick, well, according to a few people, the “Russian Factor” contributed to his lack of a selection in 2015, and his late selection in 2016.

About his game: He’s a solid two-way defenseman who is a good skater and has great vision. His calling card seems to be his breakout passes and his ability to move the puck out of the zone. According to our own foreign corespondent Alex Nunn:

Alex Nunn

@aj_ranger

Seems appropriate.

But jokes aside, Rykov’s a good get for the Rangers. Promising two-way D who should compliment a top-four puck-mover nicely. Has been full-time w/ SKA since turning 18, which says a lot. Plays hard.

Alex also went on to tell me Rykov might not be “the guy” but he will be “the guy standing next to the guy quietly going about his business.” Steve Kournianos seems to agree.

Steve Kournianos

@TheDraftAnalyst

Rykov is a very good defenseman who can compliment a kid like Skjei or Shattenkirk. Russian/KHL situation likely reason for getting passed over in 2015 and going late in 2016. Excellent first pass, keeps a tight gap and locks down the low slot. Very smart and NHL ready.

There is offense to his two-way game (obviously, but some people throw that term around too loosely) as well. Rykov’s international numbers and underage numbers are fantastic. In the Russian U16 League (when he was 15) he posted 24 points in 30 games. At 17 he had 21 points in 42 MHL (the KHL’s AHL) games. At the World Juniors last year he had seven points in seven games for Russia. There’s some pop to his game here to go along with the defense.

Some info on Rykov from BSB.

Archived