• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Deal Grabner to New Jersey Devils for Pick, Prospect

ClearedForContact

Buchnevich was drafted in the 3rd round.

It's a fair deal. If we could get a 1st for Nash it will be an awesome draft. Two 1st's, two 2nd's and two 3rd's. I think we should hold on to Zuc and McD, not very smart to have too many picks in the same draft, will cause problems when they all are due to new contracts the same year.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen Rykov play, but his stats are promising.

A 20 year old D with 100+ games in the KHL under his belt already. 51 games, 14 points, +13 this season. Not too shabby. Decent size as well. Add a 2nd pick and I think we've done well.

Trading with the Devs is obviously disgusting, but it's a good return imo.

A 20 year old D with 100+ games in the KHL under his belt already. 51 games, 14 points, +13 this season. Not too shabby. Decent size as well. Add a 2nd pick and I think we've done well.

Rykov apparently also looked good in the Junior WC on big rink. Didnt see him play myself but joint 1. in goalscoring among the defensemen if I remember correctly along with that super swede. Looks more promising than this O'Gara character anyway

I think this is very, very strong return for Grabner. Remember, there is every possibility that Grabner returns to the Rangers after this rental. He is a nice addition for New Jersey, but they also paid handsomely. A pick that could be in the late 40's of a supposedly very deep draft and on top of that an intriguing blueline prospect with upside. It's very solid rental payment IMO.

I agree ,he could be a good pick up with some size,something this team needs

35-37 goals? Dude you?re rage about everything has scued your sense of reality. He?s a 4th liner who overachieved. He?s a 30 year old rental player. You?re not getting a star in return. Get a grip.

Exactly. I like Grabner but its not like he was a star player. Yes he has 25 goals but 8-9 were like empty netters and he plays mostly 3rd line anyway. It was a fair deal. Nash will get more because he has a better track record and still a better player

I'm with you Blue, blue as you.

Hey, this Russian guy might be a sleeper. Maybe he is killing it in soulviet Russia.

Geez I hope so. An assist per game over the last seven incl one goal. We need defensive help and he also generates offense. I?m just jaded on our management. Grabs was a helluva asset. He merits a helluva asset back the other way. The second to me is a crapshoot, so Rykov ... I hope will bring a touch of Zubov, pretty please.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The rangers obviously know zykov well. He’s on Shestyorkin’s team so they see him every game while keeping tabs on Igor. He was also one of twelve defenseman invited to camp for the Russian Olympic team. He didn’t make it but he’s 20, that’s a good sign. His stock has risen almost at every turn since his draft.

Supposedly there was 10-12 teams in it grabner. If they were all offering a second and a prospect, which was the ask, then obviously Rykov is what swayed the rangers. I feel pretty confident that they are very happy to get him and somebody in their scouting department is ecstatic

Fun is here. Honestly, this must be a prospect the Rangers are high on. There were plenty of teams willing to pony up a 2nd. A 2nd alone would not be a "fair" deal for Grabs given what rentals last year and years prior have gotten. Unlike other rentals Grabner will produce.

I have to believe Gravesy and Fatty are right and that the Rangers have been scouting the kid and like him. Assuming he is not filler (a real longshot) like the kid from Yale. I also read his stock was rising.

BTW, what ya got against Grabner, one of the guys willing to give us our money's worth every game.

For those Ranger fans looking for entertainment and fun, close to 30% of Grabner's goals are ENG. Essentially you're trading a 18G 6A 24P player for a 2nd rounder and a prospect. Again, it's a fair deal.

Never understood this philosophy; if he's getting ENG, he's out there with the game on the line every time and has a tendency to not only defend it well, but pad our lead. That's a goddamn valuable skill.

Never understood this philosophy; if he's getting ENG, he's out there with the game on the line every time and has a tendency to not only defend it well, but pad our lead. That's a goddamn valuable skill.

I definitely agree with this. How valuable can that skill be to a team in the playoffs to seal a couple of wins? It could make the difference in a playoff series. I don't think NJ makes it past the first round anyway though, which is why I'm thrilled we got their 2nd round pick. I don't think Grabner is enough to make them better than any of their likely first round matchups

Fun is here. Honestly, this must be a prospect the Rangers are high on. There were plenty of teams willing to pony up a 2nd. A 2nd alone would not be a "fair" deal for Grabs given what rentals last year and years prior have gotten. Unlike other rentals Grabner will produce.

I have to believe Gravesy and Fatty are right and that the Rangers have been scouting the kid and like him. Assuming he is not filler (a real longshot) like the kid from Yale. I also read his stock was rising.

BTW, what ya got against Grabner, one of the guys willing to give us our money's worth every game.

Nothing against him, I like him, just like I liked Hagelin but I just feel that what we got in return was fair. As for using glorified, that was more tongue in cheek.

The rangers obviously know zykov well. He’s on Shestyorkin’s team so they see him every game while keeping tabs on Igor. He was also one of twelve defenseman invited to camp for the Russian Olympic team. He didn’t make it but he’s 20, that’s a good sign. His stock has risen almost at every turn since his draft.

Supposedly there was 10-12 teams in it grabner. If they were all offering a second and a prospect, which was the ask, then obviously Rykov is what swayed the rangers. I feel pretty confident that they are very happy to get him and somebody in their scouting department is ecstatic

I think "the ask" was too low for a goal-scoring sniper with speed, work ethic, Hockey IQ and other great hockey attributes Grabner has ... BUT

The Shestyorkin connection is reassuring to me. It doesn't always work but, if Yegor can make the team, then it makes it easier for Igor the goalie to commit to coming here, plus some familiarity on the backend, and also another Russian speaker to keep things funner for Buchnevich...and maybe also for Kovalchuk (but I am not kidding myself there, if Kovalchuck comes here, it's more about putting fannies in seats than part of a longer-vision rebuild ... unless he has some of the same longevity genes as Jagr, who played well beyond his presumed expiration date).

For all but the atheists among us, I would beg prayer and/or meditation among the Ranger faithful. "Good karma, grace, and patience" would be very welcome in our favor in this rebuild.

Funnily and sadly, this trade already makes me forget the Holden trade. [but don't underestimate that Massapequa connection (O'Gara - Milano)]

Archived