• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Deal Grabner to New Jersey Devils for Pick, Prospect

ClearedForContact

Brassard commanded a 1st from Pitts. Still kind of smarting that we didn't get a 1st for Grabner, whatever the story with the Russian might be. Wouldn't mind getting Brass back if he goes UFA next year. Not like we're stacked at center.

Brassard isn?t a UFA in a month

Big difference in value compared to Grabner

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A goal scorer with a dipshit coach?

Leads the team in goals, 2nd in goals last year by 1. No PP time. Nothing wrong there. Same guys on the PP over and over again... and it sucked most of the time. Lets not try a guy scoring more goals than 99% of the roster...

Take the blinders off and stop focusing on goal totals. He?s not this amazing sniper, he?s not a PP player, his certain set of skills aren?t made for it.

Some more stuff on Rykov for those interested. Video in the link below.

Though the Rangers began their trading deadline dispersal with the sale of Nick Holden to Boston, the surprising trade of Michael Grabner across the Hudson River was truly the substantial move for the Rangers as they begin their indefinite rebuild.

In return for Grabner, the Rangers acquired defenseman Yegor Rykov and the Devils’ second-round pick in 2018.

Rykov, 20, is a Russian left-handed defenseman whom the Devils drafted in the fifth round of the 2016 NHL draft. He plays in the KHL for SKA St. Petersburg, which is the top team in the league. Typically, he plays on their third pairing and earns only 13 or 14 minutes per night. Given his age and SKA’s stature, that is a pretty impressive accomplishment. Through 51 games, he has produced 2 goals and 12 assists, which is solid production given his age, usage, and lack of power play opportunities.

There’s nothing particularly exceptional about Rykov. Instead, it is his well-roundedness that makes him an interesting prospect. He was listed at 6’2, 195 pounds as an 18-year old in 2015. Since then, he has bulked up and added 20 pounds. While he’s not going to blaze past anyone, he is an efficient skater; especially given his size.

Rykov has good defensive instincts. I pored over some video of Rykov in the KHL this season, as well as World Juniors in January of 2017. His ability to read plays and get his stick or body in passing lanes stood out (watch for 57 in blue, then 28 in red).

I found that Rykov’s weak spot was in handling the puck in the defensive and neutral zones. When he has time and space, he makes crisp passes the width of the ice or across zones. However, with the threat of pressure, it took him an extra second to control the puck and survey his options. Or, even worse, he would throw the puck away.

This is where the imperfect nature of watching video comes into play. Alex Nunn and Josh Khalfin, both of whom have credible opinions, have lauded Rykov’s ability to move the puck. I watched four games with a dedicated focus on Rykov. Every player has good and bad games, and it’s possible I just picked games containing the outliers. Or that my perception is simply wrong. It’s also possible my evaluation is accurate. In this case, I defer to the knowledge of Alex and Josh and give Rykov the benefit of the doubt. He has produced a decent number of assists in the KHL and at the 2017 World Juniors, which indicates some passing prowess. Certainly, it’s something I will look at in his game going forward.

It’s a fool’s errand to evaluate prospects two years after the fact based on where they were drafted, but that’s particularly true for Rykov. His KHL affiliation surely scared teams and dropped him 60-90 picks lower than his talent dictated. It’s also why the Devils were perhaps amenable to parting with him.

When it comes to Russians, the Rangers have been undeterred in the past, and have little reason to be concerned about Rykov. The Rangers have had no problem recruiting Russians in the past, now have a theoretical built-in support system with both Pavel Buchnevich and Alexandar Georgiev and they have the infrastructure in place to make Rykov feel welcome. They have multiple Russian scouts in the organization with tremendous influence, Igor Shestyorkin is a teammate of his at SKA. Both of their KHL contracts run out at the end of the 2019 season, and it’s a reasonable expectation that both will sign with the Rangers at that time.

Russian Prospects

@RUSProspects

Yegor Rykov told in an interview to @championat that he is glad about the trade, as he heard that #NYR will be rebuilding. Also mentioned that Shestyorkin texted him from PyeongChang to congratulate on the trade.

9:31 PM - Feb 24, 2018

178 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Rykov is not a game-breaking or dazzling talent, but he is very polished for his age. Certainly, he has upside as a second-pairing defenseman who can eat important minutes both at even strength and on the penalty kill.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/2/26/17049862/michael-grabner-trade-devils-rangers-analyzing-yegor-rykov-and-the-2nd-round-selection

Archived