• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Phil

I think the bar scene was what put it over the top. We havent seen any people vs. people yet and I think that scene made the whole show a little bit more dynamic.

Also when they were loading corpses into the truck and the arms falls off as they drove off had me LOL

The only thing I didnt like about the episode was Rick's wife being a moron.

Nothing new at all.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had no idea Andrew Lincoln (who plays Rick) is BRITISH (same with the farmers daughter I think)! He has a pretty strong accent too. He was on O+A this morning and gave a little info on the next episode. Spoiler below.. not a major one in my opinion..doesn't name the character(s) involved but still, click at your own risk:

He said that one of the characters gets his nose literally shot off. He said the makeup guy is a fucking magician. The character went off for about 30 minutes and came back with no nose lol.

So I had no idea Andrew Lincoln (who plays Rick) is BRITISH (same with the farmers daughter I think)! He has a pretty strong accent too. He was on O+A this morning and gave a little info on the next episode. Spoiler below.. not a major one in my opinion..doesn't name the character(s) involved but still, click at your own risk:

He said that one of the characters gets his nose literally shot off. He said the makeup guy is a fucking magician. The character went off for about 30 minutes and came back with no nose lol.

haha sounds awesome

It's not like im analyzing the script or anything. Its just a puke-in-mouth cheesy feeling I get when it's so forced... can't really ignore that.

I have my other qualms too. The cast talks so highly of that little kid but I think hes shite. Plus they seriously coddle their fucking audience character-wise (not speaking of gore) - its always a close call. Just kill someone already.

I've had this discussion with so many of my friends who feel the same way. I guess I'm just built differently. I love this version of the show so much more than the one where they did nothing but run from and kill zombies. All I hear is that there are too few zombies and too much drama, but IMO the show is better positioned for long-term success this way than the former. There's a reason zombie movies have a niche audience and a reason why few viewers would sit through 12 hours of non-stop zombie-gore. The story is what hooks people and what keeps most viewers attached. The goal is to create a reason for everyone to come back by forcibly planting an investment in all of them. "I want to see zombies butcher people and get their heads blown off" only fits a very small niche group audience. "I want to see a post-apocalyptic group survive in a zombie-overrun environment where trust and mistrust are a daily struggle" fits a much, much larger net.

Why have any drama at all if all you want to see is zombie-gore? Who cares about getting to know the characters if all you want to see is people get ripped apart and shoot walkers in the head? Who cares that Shane fucked Lori, or that he killed Otis, or that Sophia is dead?

Depth is what keeps programs alive, and depth comes from developing characters. Something I feel too few people realize is that "The Walking Dead" is in reference to the survivors, not the zombies, so it stands to reason that the focus is on them... not the walkers themselves.

Edited by Phil in Absentia
  • Like 1

I've had this discussion with so many of my friends who feel the same way. I guess I'm just built differently. I love this version of the show so much more than the one where they did nothing but run from and kill zombies. All I hear is that there are too few zombies and too much drama, but IMO the show is better positioned for long-term success this way than the former. There's a reason zombie movies have a niche audience and a reason why few viewers would sit through 12 hours of non-stop zombie-gore. The story is what hooks people and what keeps most viewers attached. The goal is to create a reason for everyone to come back by forcibly planting an investment in all of them. "I want to see zombies butcher people and get their heads blown off" only fits a very small niche group audience. "I want to see a post-apocalyptic group survive in a zombie-overrun environment where trust and mistrust are a daily struggle" fits a much, much larger net.

Why have any drama at all if all you want to see is zombie-gore? Who cares about getting to know the characters if all you want to see is people get ripped apart and shoot walkers in the head? Who cares that Shane fucked Lori, or that he killed Otis, or that Sophia is dead?

Depth is what keeps programs alive, and depth comes from developing characters. Something I feel too few people realize is that "The Walking Dead" is in reference to the survivors, not the zombies, so it stands to reason that the focus is on them... not the walkers themselves.

That's not my position at all though. I don't watch for the zombies. I have friends that do and complain like you're talking about, but I watch for the story and mostly the characters/dialogue/suspense. I'm not a fan of horror in the first place.

My problem is simply that it feels so fucking cheezy. Especially with that damn kid and Lori's stupid psycho-trip. I want subtlety, something this show is NOT delivering. It's all exaggerated nonsense at this point. Honestly it's very much reminding me of Sons of Anarchy's bad qualities. Cheese.

Darryl is starting to piss me off, ever since they found out Sophia was in the barn he got like a real dick. Okay I understand you were out there all day and night holding onto hope that she was still out and you would find her, but hes acting like a real fucking asshole now. Its not like anybody else other than Herschel knew she was in the barn, you were searching for a child grow the fuck up. Would not mind if his character was killed off soon.

No, it's about the relationships of strangers made family in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Again, the show is called 'The Walking Dead' in reference to the survivors, not the zombies.

The show has substance, I'm not arguing that. I am just saying I wouldn't go out and call it one of the deepest shows out there. I would def. throw GoT out before Walking Dead for starters.