• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

This is really a weird reaction man.

I didn't know. I don't know a thing about the guy. I know Jack Shit about the SHL. I figured the SEL was the premier league there. I wasn't aware that THAT many Swedes spoke perfect English. Never been there. I'd imagine not many HAVE been.

I just find it odd that when ever there's an interview from a Swedish news source, nobody can translate it to English.

I listen to a lot of metal, and I know a lot of the Swedish death metal musicians sing a lot in English, yet they admit they sometimes DONT really speak the language too well...

So? Uncle? Cousin?

Not that it matters, because they're clearly not hiring him, but for clarity:

If you've graduated from high school in the Scandinavian countries (See/Nor/Den), you speak passable English at the very least. English is introduced as a subject in the 2nd grade and is one of four subjects you must pass in your senior exams. In addition, English is prevalent in almost every walk of life. British and American culture such as films, tv shows, sports etc is dominant and English is commonly used in business. Kids use English slang etc. You also have to remember that English and the Scandinavian languages come from the same tree and have a lot of common words and phrases since the vikings colonized the British Isles.

That's a long winded way of saying language is unlikely to be a problem. I'd be more worried about this guy having no personal experience with the NHL. I'd be even more worried that this could very well be a lightning in a bottle scenario and he's done it in a market the size of Albany.

Really interesting guy though. He probably needs to prove his methods work on a bigger stage before he gets a shot at the NHL.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open question; anyone have a sense why Gallant's departures appear to be so abrupt and unceromonious? Seeing many stories explaining he is not a cuddly guy , and doesn't much care about the media nor fans. Doesn't mean he is not a good coach; the results speak for themselves.

Thread has gone off the rails a bit. Conceding Hallam appears to be a great coach; he has not been an NHL coach for a single day. That's that.

Open question; anyone have a sense why Gallant's departures appear to be so abrupt and unceromonious? Seeing many stories explaining he is not a cuddly guy , and doesn't much care about the media nor fans. Doesn't mean he is not a good coach; the results speak for themselves.

Thread has gone off the rails a bit. Conceding Hallam appears to be a great coach; he has not been an NHL coach for a single day. That's that.

I couldn't possibly give less of a shit if he likes the media or the fans.. He could flip me the bird every morning as long as he wins.

I don't think many coaches really like the media or care too much about the fans anyway. He has a proven track record and even if maybe his shelf life is even shorter than Tortorella's, he gets results. Plus, I just think he'd be a really good fit for what's here.

If they hire Gallant and are able to grab Lucic at 50% cap hit. I'm liking where this is going. Maybe flip Chytil for a hard nosed face off winning center. Now we have a team with a face and direction.

Gallant has to choose Columbus or NY at this point. Hope he picks us.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/rangers-get-ok-to-interview-gerard-gallant-in-coach-search/

The Rangers were granted permission to interview Gerard Gallant for the team’s vacant head-coaching job, according to a Thursday report by TSN’s Darren Dreger.

The former Golden Knights coach has been at the top of club president Chris Drury’s list of candidates since the search began after David Quinn was relieved of his duties

I don't remember seeing anything specific about Gallant. Florida and VGK were both great his first 2 seasons. The Florida firing was really strange. I think Vegas knew they were close, saw what Gallant could do, but thought they needed something else to get them over that last hurdle.

I hope it speaks more to what he can do in a short period of time.

It's funny because language, or preferably, the correct ethnicity, is the most important prerequisite for every position in an entire, certain, organization in the league, and that's totally fine.

And that unbelievable stubbornness/quasi-secessionist nationalistic inanity has led them to one Stanley Cup since the league expanded from 21 teams. The strategy is at the very least questionable.

On this weeks Up in the Blue Seats Podcast, they had Dubinsky on, and he didn't have much good to say about Torts. He was saying how this team isn't good for Torts and he made it sound like even he didn't like playing for Torts, and was mad when he came into Columbus to coach. Its a pretty good listen. I was never a huge Dubinsky fan, but I didn't know he felt that way about Torts either.

On this weeks Up in the Blue Seats Podcast, they had Dubinsky on, and he didn't have much good to say about Torts. He was saying how this team isn't good for Torts and he made it sound like even he didn't like playing for Torts, and was mad when he came into Columbus to coach. Its a pretty good listen. I was never a huge Dubinsky fan, but I didn't know he felt that way about Torts either.

Thanks, I'll give a listen.

Link here if anyone interested. https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/rangers-podcast-potential-coaching-replacements/

I don't blame him, Torts basically pigeon-holed him as a player on not one but two teams. Now I think Torts probably got the most out of him and made him a better player or at least had him in his ideal role, but Duby probably doesn't see it that way and blames Torts for making basically his whole career grindy shot-blocking hockey. Maybe took the fun out of what should be some of the best years of his life.

Doesn't mean Torts isn't a great coach, I'd be glad if we got Torts back in NY.

Torts stripped Dubinsky of his alternate captaincy in Columbus, and was always unwilling to include him in the leadership group while both were with the Rangers. It doesn't shock me that Dubinsky doesn't view him too favorably despite Torts being the type of coach a player like Dubinsky could thrive under.

Gallant, Tochett, Babcock, Torts, Hartley.

How do you go wrong?

Looks like Drury knows what style he wants, and it ain't Tom Renney.

At least I’ll only have to dislike the coach for 3 years, max. One way or the other.

So if 4 to 5 interviews and we know Gallant, Tocchet, and Babcock are on the list, only 1 to 2 left. Torts?

Is Babcock actually on the list?

He’s a huge name but after hearing what happened in Toronto he’s not someone I’m excited about.